BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if transition eyeglasses, like photogray, e.g., transition to sunglasses inside a full-face helmet. They apparently do not change inside a car, do they change inside a helmet? Thanks.

· Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Depends on your helmet visor - some filter more UV than others. I use transitions and they change much better behind my BMW Evo System 6 than behind the car windscreen.
EDIT: Having said that, I checked today while out riding and no, they don’t change much at all - I still rely on the drop-down tinted visor. The following is without the tinted visor, on a sunny day.
Helmet Sky Cloud White Plant

· Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
534 Posts
Short answer: they don’t work. Long answer: they might.
I have Shuberth c3 pro and wear transition prescription lenses while riding. Also have a Scorpion helmet with a sun visor. Essentially the benefits of photo chromatic leads is almost completely negated while riding using UV blocking materials. Most benefit of transition lenses is when you stop in bright daylight, and your glasses adjust with helmet off.

there is a new version of “transition” branded lenses tailored for drivers that apparently reacts to visible light rather than UV. I haven’t tried it though so can’t attest to their claims being true

· Registered
789 Posts
The next time you get new glasses ask for Transition Xtractive lens.
These will work in the car and behind UV blocking shields.
My wife and I have been using these in our last couple of glasses and they work well.

Reactions: somomule

· Registered
534 Posts
The next time you get new glasses ask for Transition Xtractive lens.
These will work in the car and behind UV blocking shields.
My wife and I have been using these in our last couple of glasses and they work well.
Interesting: I have been wearing Xtractive lenses for 5+ years while driving/riding, and lenses don’t get dark enough, just a little bit darker, even on the brighter days. Typing this wearing xtractive lenses while seating in a car in bright sunlight. Here is what the lenses do in my case.
Hood Eyewear Eye glass accessory Tints and shades Communication Device

· Registered
534 Posts
This is what my xtractive lenses look when I’m outside:
Forehead Hair Glasses Lip Vision care

· Registered
789 Posts
Post #33 in this thread has pictures of my glasses taken Feb 2020.

On a sunny day when I look at my wife sitting next to me in the car her glasses are dark.

Reactions: fireman

· Registered
789 Posts
This video talks about different lens. They like Serengeti Drivers.
Before my wife started to wear glasses she used Serengeti Drivers sunglasses on the motorcycle.

Reactions: somomule
1 - 9 of 9 Posts