BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 BMW R1200R Metallic Red Apple
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie BMW DIY mechanic. Changing transmission oil and it looks like the transmission drain plug and filler gasket rings are different sizes than the engine oil gasket ring. (I mean, why wouldn't BMW standardize this part? Just to make everyone's life easier?) Bottom gasket looks like copper, side gasket is aluminum. My local O'Reilly Auto doesn't have gaskets in mm, only inches. Has anyone tried substituting the following:
  • Bottom drain gasket 14X18mm copper - Use 9/16 X 13/16 in. copper (OD is 1 mm bigger))
  • Side filler gasket 18X22mm aluminum - Use 3/4 X 15/15 in aluminum (OD is 1.2mm bigger)
These seem workable but since this only gets changed every 24K, I wanted to check other's thoughts/experience.

Thanks,
JS

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have used the closest fitting copper crush washers that I have in my assortment pack and have never had an issue. I’ve also reused the original when needed with good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
899 Posts
I’m not aware of any motorcycle with separate engine/transmission setups. They both are lubricated with the motor oil. Are you referring to the rear drive?

·
Registered
2011 BMW R1200R Metallic Red Apple
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m not aware of any motorcycle with separate engine/transmission setups. They both are lubricated with the motor oil. Are you referring to the rear drive?
The R1200R boxer twin has a dry clutch and shaft drive so there is engine oil (6K miles), gearbox oil (24K), final drive oil (12K). Check out your maintenance schedule. YouTube will show you the 3 different procedures.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Ah...so it's a thing with the 2011 version. I have 2018 and no mention of anything other than motor oil and rear drive.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ah...so it's a thing with the 2011 version. I have 2018 and no mention of anything other than motor oil and rear drive.
We have ridden BMWs since 1984. The first bike for us that shared engine and transmission oil was the 2011 K1300S.
I think this practice started around 2005 with the K bikes and 2013 with the boxer.

·
Registered
2014 R1200R Dark White
131 Posts
You should Google Motorrad parts fiche, pull up the diagrams thst shows your parts. I think A&S BMW offered free shipping on orders. I ordered 2-3 of all the maintenance gaskets and have them in a tiny
divided plastic box from Grainger. This way I have all my gaskets, o-rings.
y
Packing materials Gas Font Box Plastic wrap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts