BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2013 Classic has this glitch since I got it from the dealer last month.

Trip I and Trip II keep resetting themselves usually every couple of days. I haven't exactly spotted the reset interval but I have never seen them counting over 80 klm or so. They just turn back to 0 when the engine is turned off but not every time. As I said this happens every two or three days.

I mentioned this to my dealer during the 1.000 klm first service but they couldn't find the cause.

Any idea?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've the same problem, like any other 2013 R1200R with alarm
The reset happens only when you put the alarm on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've the same problem, like any other 2013 R1200R with alarm
The reset happens only when you put the alarm on.
Marc thanks for this.

Indeed my bike comes with the alarm but the trip computer doesn't reset itself every time the alarm is armed. I am sure for this as I always engage the alarm at every stop during the day. It only happens every couple of days or maybe more and usually after an overnight stop.

Could you possibly let me know how you came up with this information so that I can pass it to my dealer? Also do you know if they have come up with a solution?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There was a discussion with a member of the french roadster forum having the same problem. We're three now, all with alarm. It seems that the ones without alarm does not have the problem.
I've posted the same problem on the belgian forum, but no reaction yet.

I couldn't repeat the problem at the dealer with a short alarm on/off.

The only thing i know is that BMW is informed and looking for a software update, expected for late august.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a discussion with a member of the french roadster forum ....
I've posted the same problem on the belgian forum, but no reaction yet.
Internet and globalization at their greatest!
Thank you very much for this information.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ok I am blaming all of you. The day this was posted, I went for a ride and when I started my bike both trip odo's had reset to zero. If you had not posted this problem I am sure both odo's would be working fine. This has happened twice since and there does not seem to be any pattern. The bike is a 2012 R12R.

My bike does not have an alarm, only the immobilizer in the computer that won't let the engine start unless the correct key is in the ignition.

This is a real problem for me because the trip odo's are my fuel gauge. I have never relied on fuel bars on the dash. Since I now know that fuel strip will fail at some point, not having working trip odo's could take the bike from a winner to loser.

In two weeks, I am taking the bike in for service.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So our problem is not limited to the 2013 bikes.
Did you change something on your bike ? Led back light for example ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From my part I haven't changed anything to my bike whatsoever. It's a 2013 Classic with alarm and led turn lights factory pre-installed. It comes with no fuel strip so the display does not have the fuel and temperature digital meter and for this reason the trip computer does not count klm left on the tank. It also comes with ASC / ESA / ABS and ... The Trip auto reset feature... ;-)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't have a problem with the trip meter resetting to 0 but I can't seem to get my bike to always remember to display the trip meter and not the odometer. If I have the trip meter showing, next time I turn the bike off and back on, sometimes it shows the trip meter and sometimes it resets to showing the odometer. This happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone find a solution to this problem of resetting tripmeters yet? I have a March 2013 registered R1200R, with this problem. The bike has no modifications since purchasing new (with LED indicators, on board computer, heated grips plus BMW alarm fitted). The reset of trip meters 1 & 2 happens which I turn the ignition back on. In each case, it has been when I have been using the alarm. The reset has happened 4 times so far in 1100 miles. The dealer was unable to locate a problem on the 600 mile service, so I have the bike booked in again.. However they have said thay they have no idea what to look at or replace, and haev not heard of this issue, so I'm not too hopeful unless I can point them in a particular direction.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I don't have a problem with the trip meter resetting to 0 but I can't seem to get my bike to always remember to display the trip meter and not the odometer. If I have the trip meter showing, next time I turn the bike off and back on, sometimes it shows the trip meter and sometimes it resets to showing the odometer. This happen to anyone else?
yep. me too. It will show the next service interval date, then sometimes go to the total miles odometer, not t'meter a or b. Ghosts in the machine. I am not sure if it doesn't have something to do with the elapsed time the bike is off, longer times producing the odometer and switching from the trip meters.

This whole problem or re-zeroing trip meters points again to the importance of a functioning fuel strip though, so if yours has failed report it to the NHTSA.

It sure was better with the analog odometers and a low fuel light, I think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
At the first service the dealer resolved the problem with a soft upgrade.
Well, it doesn't work. The day-trip's resetting after putting the alarm on is still there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all

Had the same thing with my new 2013 R1200R. The August software update, released a couple of weeks ago, solves the problem !!
Ask your BMW dealer to do the update.
best,

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 2012 will also reset occasionally. Not too big a deal until my fuel strip went. I had the strip replaced 1,000 miles ago and it has not done it since. I do not know if they updated the software or not. They said it DID have a bad fuel strip code so that must have been cleared. The trip meter thing was never mentioned by me or them. I do not have any kind of alarm system.

New strip works much better. Hope it lasts. First one went 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I have become member of this forum to be able to send you my experiences with the Trip Counter resetting issue. I own a 2012 R1200R Classic, equipped with alarm (DWA).

I did some extensive testing on the issue in August 2012, before I brought the problem to the dealer. After the problem had been confirmed by BMW Motorrad, a software fix was promised for August 2013. Now hopefully everything has worked out well, and I shall get this software fix when my R1200R goes for yearly maintenance next month.

Below you find the problem description that I wrote, after the testing on my bike. Hope it is useful for you too.

Problem summary
Activating the motorcycle alarm (DWA) - 70 seconds or more after turning off the ignition-key - causes the reading of the trip meters to be reset to zero. This is incorrect behavior.

To demonstrate the problem
  • Turn on the ignition-key
  • Verify that the reading of the trip meters is not equal to zero
  • Turn off the ignition-key
  • Wait for 70 seconds or more
  • Activate the alarm function (DWA), by pressing button 1 on the alarm remote control
  • Wait for a few seconds, for the alarm to have passed through the activation phase
  • Confirm that the reading of the trip meters has been reset to zero. This is incorrect behavior.
In contrast
When the motorcycle alarm is activated within 65 seconds after turning off the ignition-key, the reading of the trip meters is not reset to zero. When the ignition-key is turned on again, the last reading of the trip meters is still there.

To demonstrate the same resetting problem, in a 2nd way
  • Verify that the reading of the trip meters is not equal to zero
  • Turn off the ignition-key
  • Activate the alarm function (DWA), by pressing button 1 on the alarm remote control
  • Wait for 70 seconds or more
  • De-activate again the alarm function, using button 2 on the alarm remote control
  • Confirm that the reading of the trip meters has been reset to zero. This is incorrect behavior.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts