BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
That looks amazing. I can't believe they haven't offered that as a factory option.

How did you remove the R logo from the tank panel? Also what are you using in place of the grab rails?

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,874 Posts
Nice (y) Once the front end is sorted (I'm assuming you mean the yokes and fork bottoms) it will look fantastic.

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That looks amazing. I can't believe they haven't offered that as a factory option.

How did you remove the R logo from the tank panel? Also what are you using in place of the grab rails?
I was very lucky that for some reason the logo had not been lacquered over, so it was an easy hot air gun, peel and polish exercise!
The grab rail delete is manufactured by PUIG as follows; Deflector-Trim Tabs for motorcycle BMW R1250R 2019 - Motoplastic PUIG but lots of places do them including sellers on eBay.

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice (y) Once the front end is sorted (I'm assuming you mean the yokes and fork bottoms) it will look fantastic.
That's it and I am thinking of the fork stanchions and sliders also in black, but we will see!

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,787 Posts
Very distinctive!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Looks very nice!
I would keep it as it is now. To my idea it is the combination between black and gold that makes it special. If you make it all black it would be too much (I think 🙂)
The silver bits will definitely be coated the same black ceramic, but you are right that I should not be too hasty on the gold forks.....we will see!

·
6,787 Posts
I’d agree on leaving the forks gold. I’d also leave the triple clamps, if it were me (but maybe do the handlebars). If you do the triple clamps, you’d need to do the fork lowers too.

I’m not a fan of colour-anodised parts as they generally clash with painted parts on the bike (Ducati owners are often ‘guilty’ of this with red anodised bling on their red bike). So I'd question the blue anodised brake lever pivot bolt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I’d agree on leaving the forks gold. I’d also leave the triple clamps, if it were me (but maybe do the handlebars). If you do the triple clamps, you’d need to do the fork lowers too.

I’m not a fan of colour-anodised parts as they generally clash with painted parts on the bike (Ducati owners are often ‘guilty’ of this with red anodised bling on their red bike). So I'd question the blue anodised brake lever pivot bolt.
I do agree on the blue, but that is out the box from BMW HP parts - I may end up changing. As for Ducati owners, here's a photo of mine.........!

·
6,787 Posts
I do agree on the blue, but that is out the box from BMW HP parts - I may end up changing. As for Ducati owners, here's a photo of mine.........!
👌

·
Registered
2019 R1250R HP Black, 2019 R1250GS HP Rally X
26 Posts
OMG that looks so good!!! I need to know more... and do exactly what was done to achieve that!!! So, so, so good!!
I also would love to know how the exhaust finish holds up when heated to normal operating temps.
Also, are you going to get the fork yokes and bottoms in black too? I think I will. It's going to be an expensive exercise!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
OMG that looks so good!!! I need to know more... and do exactly what was done to achieve that!!! So, so, so good!!
I also would love to know how the exhaust finish holds up when heated to normal operating temps.
Also, are you going to get the fork yokes and bottoms in black too? I think I will. It's going to be an expensive exercise!!
I am very pleased you approve!! Basically, anything silver has been ceramic coated with a product called Cerakote® (there will no doubt be agents for this service where you are located) and in the photos in the posts above you will see all the bits I have currently had done, and a video link of the product on a section of exhaust being heated and plunged into a bucket of water - I appreciate the real test is in use on the bike and so I will give an update on that later in the season.....

The quality of the finish is exceptional and for all the bits in the photo above, I got change out of £250.00 UK stirling and that includes the exhaust headers - I really think that is a bargain - I was reluctantly going for a carbon headlight surround at one stage (reluctant as in not the look I personally wanted; I love carbon) and that is £169.00 all by itself!! The silver bits on the front end will get the same treatment at the end of this year's riding season and I am coming around to the forks staying gold....we will see.

Here are a couple of close up photos and any marks you can see on the finish are basically my fingers and they wipe off: -

·
Registered
428 Posts
Lovely job PeteG. I've (very roughly) 'tweaked' your image to help you decide whether or not to keep the gold.
IMHO, the gold accent of the forks continues to set it apart as something very special, rather than just looking like any other 'all black' bike. I'm sure Darth Vader would be tempted tho'...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Lovely job PeteG. I've (very roughly) 'tweaked' your image to help you decide whether or not to keep the gold.
IMHO, the gold accent of the forks continues to set it apart as something very special, rather than just looking like any other 'all black' bike. I'm sure Darth Vader would be tempted tho'...

View attachment 111127

View attachment 111128
Hi Herdygerdy - Thank you for taking an interest and the time to produce the mock-up. Very much appreciated and the answer is that I do see the gold forks should stay!!!

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
Hmmm that is a really tough call, I think it looks awesome either way. Great helpful mock-up.

Maybe live with the gold for a while and see how it grows on you. Maybe vinyl wrap the forks black first to see how that looks before committing to cerakoting them.

Think you can find black & white roundels for the tank too if you want, though the splash of stock weissblau looks nice too.

Either way, fantastic looking bike you can really be proud of and enjoy, well done and thanks so much for sharing!

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hmmm that is a really tough call, I think it looks awesome either way. Great helpful mock-up.

Maybe live with the gold for a while and see how it grows on you. Maybe vinyl wrap the forks black first to see how that looks before committing to cerakoting them.

Think you can find black & white roundels for the tank too if you want, though the splash of stock weissblau looks nice too.

Either way, fantastic looking bike you can really be proud of and enjoy, well done and thanks so much for sharing!

Cheers, Dave
It took me a while, but I found those black roundels you tempted me with and have them fitted - I love them!!!

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
NICE ! SWEET !! PERFECT !!!

Cheers! Dave

21 - 40 of 49 Posts