BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was an a expensive experiment. The OEM sport screen looked good but, except that it kept bugs off the back of the instrument cluster, it might as well not have been there. The OEM touring screen gave me the right amount of wind protection and, while it didn't look as good as the sport screen, it did not look bad; but the noise, turbulence and buffeting were unacceptable. The WRS screen from France was even noisier and took turbulence and buffeting to a new dimension- I'm pretty sure there was buffeting while the bike was on the center stand in my garage! Plus, it looked too big for my taste. The CeeBaileys, Cal Sci and Vtechnic are all about the same size as the WRS and garner the same complaints from some on this and other forums. So, running out of options, I bit the bullet and bought a ski mask. Bank successfully robbed, I ordered, received and installed- despite the ridiculous instructions that come with it, the Wunderlich Trophy fairing. And the Trophy wins the Trophy!!!. No noise. No buffeting. No turbulence. From my shoulders up, clean, smooth air- just about the same protection that I got from the OEM touring screen. Looks wise- my ride is a Classic and the Trophy enhances the concept. For me, this fairing is a grand slam. I was 5' 11" before old age set in. They tell me I'm 5'9 1/2 now- I still don't believe them.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Trophy screen

I hate you, las! Only joking, the Trophy looks stunning! I have been getting a run-around from various on-line sources, largely I think because my colour - Montego Blue, new for 2013 - is not yet available as a stock item, so I'm going to have to buy a silver fairing and get it painted here ($350 quoted).

May I ask what you paid for the fairing there?

Glad, too, that it works as well as looking great!

Cheers and best..

L of S

outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi L of S. Actually, researching the fairing for you pushed me over the edge. I'd been looking at it for several months- i bought the WRS screen just a few weeks ago in the hope that it would work and save me from the expense of the Trophy (and having to remove my Motobbozzo lights that don't fit with the Trophy). The price was $799 US; but this is $50 more than other colors because of the white stripes. If I were you, I'd wait a bit for Wunderlich to catch up with the new colors for 2013. For the extra money and aggravation you will go through, you can buy a different screen; use it until the new colors are out and sell the screen on EBay. I'm sure it won't be long until Wunderlich catches up. I'm hoping to get enough for my screens to pay for the micro flooters. They are the same lights as my Motobozzos but they mount differently so that the Trophy fairing is not in the way. Wunderlich wouldn't sell me just the mounts.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Trophy

Classic looks great las! Fifty bucks for the white stripe was well worth it.
You are as tall as you feel. Must be feeling a half inch taller today.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
If I were you, I'd wait a bit for Wunderlich to catch up with the new colors for 2013. For the extra money and aggravation you will go through, you can buy a different screen; use it until the new colors are out and sell the screen on EBay. I'm sure it won't be long until Wunderlich catches up.
Thanks, las - I beat you to it and had recently asked if W'lich are planning to produce in the new colours, including mine - the answer is that they have no such plans at present! Bugger!!

So I'll just wait and keep in touch with the various retailers and hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later.

BTW - is there some kind of rubber/ neoprene spacer or ring that separates the inside rim of the fairing from the outside rim of the headlight, to minimise scuffing, etc? Just a minor point...

Enjoy the fairing and bike!

L of S

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Classic looks great las! Fifty bucks for the white stripe was well worth it.
You are as tall as you feel. Must be feeling a half inch taller today.
You are right, Clem. Maybe, even three quarters of an inch. It does make me feel good finally to ride in clean, quiet sir withot getting fatigued by wind pushing me back at the speeds that i daily travel on a ride that looks as good as it goes. So, i should feel taller- or should i? You know what they say, Clem: " size doesn't matter." Still, faced with the choice of "size", "no size", I'm pretty sure there are not a whole lot of folks out there on either side of the equation who would choose "no size."........Have we digressed from the topic of windscreens and fairings?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts