BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the Wunderluch Trophy headlight fairing and windscreen. I have the OEM touring screen. I like its looks and it gives me the right amount of protection and ventilation. But where my head is in relation to the windscreen makes for a noisy ride due to turbulence.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Wunderluch Trophy headlight fairing and windscreen. I have the OEM touring screen. I like its looks and it gives me the right amount of protection and ventilation. But where my head is in relation to the windscreen makes for a noisy ride due to turbulence.
I had the same problem with the touring screen, a lot of rumbling from the turbulence. I just installed the trophy, but its too cold hear to ride so I can't say how it works yet. I think it will be exactly what I need, since it has a much more aerodynamic profile unlike the touring screen. I can say that the quality of the trophy screen is superb and it looks great. For reference I'm around 5'9".

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Fudge. What is the height of the Trophy in comparison to the OEM touring screen?

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can see from the picture the touring screen is very upright. I believe this caused a lot of turbulence at speed which is why I was getting a rumble in my helmet. I would assume if you are taller your helmet would be in cleaner air, but for me it was an issue. Rode with the touring screen once and decided it was definitely not for me.

Unfortunately I don't have many trophy pictures (yet) because of the weather, but you can see the trophy height is lower and it has considerable more rake which should produce smoother air over the top. I had a sport screen for quite awhile and that was OK up until about 60+ and then I would catch a lot of wind on my shoulders. The trophy is just a little taller than the sport screen and considerably wider which (I hope) will be the perfect screen for me. Kind of an expensive experiment, but I'm fairly confident it will be what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
139 Posts
More views:

I also replaced the front 'long' turn signal stalks with shorter ones so they didn't stick out as far. The OEM stalks are too long IMHO.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great, Fudge! But will it do the job? You hit the nail on the head- if it doesn't, it would be a very costly experiment. So, I think I'll wait a bit for you to take a ride or two and hope that you will post your findings. I have a Classic and am thinking of the Trophy painted with the white stripe of the Classic, and a carbon Remus exhaust. It will accent my carbon hugger.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looks great, Fudge! But will it do the job? You hit the nail on the head- if it doesn't, it would be a very costly experiment. So, I think I'll wait a bit for you to take a ride or two and hope that you will post your findings. I have a Classic and am thinking of the Trophy painted with the white stripe of the Classic, and a carbon Remus exhaust. It will accent my carbon hugger.
I think it will work well. I figure I could always sell it if it didn't work for me and I'm sure I could recoup a good part of the cost. The problem is that depending on your height, helmet and other variables it's hard to say what will work for everyone. Personally I think the trophy for the Classic looks the best out of all the color options.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I like the bike as naked as possible, when I got mine, it had the small sport screen, I try to have the dealer to get it off the bike and discounted on the price, but didn't happened, I want it to sell it but found out it's a perfect space for the E-Zpass so I left it.

I like the looks of that trophy screen, that could work perfect for some kind of 70's bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Love the fairing. Gives the bike a retro look and much like my R90S.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wanted orange smoke. Trying to explain to the painter with out a picture was hard, so I said OH He ll make it like a tequila sunrise,

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fusdge your bike is beautiful. The painted valve covers make a huge difference.

1976 R75/6. Not a clue how many miles are on it, speedo quit over 10 years at 42,000. Had it since 1990. The pain t job was a result of a crash. I still ride it. The sliders and twin disc brakes are off a 900S. It still has the master cylinder under the gas tank.

David

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fusdge your bike is beautiful. The painted valve covers make a huge difference.
That orangish bike isn't mine if that's the one you are refering to, I got that picture from Wunderlich to show the 'retro' trophy screen. My bike is the 2011 red R.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Trying to show the colors better.

And yes I ride a RED 2012 R1200R too.

I now have a parabellum touring screen on. Its big but no buffeting until over 70 mph. Passenger does not care for it.

I thought about the scout in matching color. Still may go for it. Last bike was an RT, the one before was (I still have it) the Airhead with windjammer.

David

1 - 20 of 34 Posts