BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the foot peg to get on the bike. The pegs have a soft rubber footrest that just isn't designed for that kind of use. I want to replace them with something more durable, any thoughts? It seems a round unit may be the best choice.

Salty Mike

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT
115 Posts
Knight Design makes a footpeg without the rubber insert.

Tougher, not “tuffer.”

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
On my F800, I filled the rubbers with automotive silicon.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Puig pegs are shorter, thinner, and a lot stiffer than the OEM pegs. You get significantly more lean angle clearance for a fair price.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
I have the knights (with rubber inserts) basically for the adjustable and lower peg height by 30mm. However, if I was to replace a set of pegs, I would go with the SW-Motech. I had these on my R12 Twin Cam - tougher, wider and removable rubber insert - a brilliant bit of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sturgeon

·
Registered
799 Posts
DIY method: Buy 1 new set. Make silicone molds with hobby supplies. Use molds to make high-durometer rubber castings that match OEM. :)

Not that I have done this, but that is one way to do it... I think I watch too many "makers" on YouTube...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have Black Dog and they are a nice platform.
You do know you can remove the rubber padding from the stock, right? you just pull it off.

·
Registered
‘08 R12R, ‘12 GSA w/ DMC Exp. Sidecar
15 Posts
A very timely topic. I’m going to change out my OEM pegs very soon.
Has anyone here tried Pivot Pegz on their R12R?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
A very timely topic. I’m going to change out my OEM pegs very soon.
Has anyone here tried Pivot Pegz on their R12R?
I 'recycled' an old set from my F800GS, with some constructive modification (aka grinding) to fit the mount. I'd originally bought them after severing my Achilles tendon and having limited mobility in my ankle for a while. But then I remembered what I disliked about them, and swapped them out for SW-Motech with the rubber tops removed. The Pivot Pegz are really more suited to an off-road or dual-sport bike, and the very sharp platforms chew up boot soles. I liked having the better grip, but I get almost as a good a result with the SW-Motech. The swivel action is nice, but the boot damage isn't. I briefly contemplated grinding off the tops of the points on the Pivot Pegz, but decided to just get new pegs instead. And I got my favourite touring boots resoled at the same time ;) The Pivot Pegz have been relegated to intermittent use on my R9T Scrambler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I 'recycled' an old set from my F800GS, with some constructive modification (aka grinding) to fit the mount. I'd originally bought them after severing my Achilles tendon and having limited mobility in my ankle for a while. But then I remembered what I disliked about them, and swapped them out for SW-Motech with the rubber tops removed. The Pivot Pegz are really more suited to an off-road or dual-sport bike, and the very sharp platforms chew up boot soles. I liked having the better grip, but I get almost as a good a result with the SW-Motech. The swivel action is nice, but the boot damage isn't. I briefly contemplated grinding off the tops of the points on the Pivot Pegz, but decided to just get new pegs instead. And I got my favourite touring boots resoled at the same time ;) The Pivot Pegz have been relegated to intermittent use on my R9T Scrambler.
sturgeon, thanks for the useful insight! My attention span reached its limit and I can no longer think about footpegs; how long?, how wide?, rubber tops or not?, price, etc, etc, so I went with my gut instinct and pulled the trigger on the Pivot Pegz with topper. I’ll like ‘em. I’m going to have a Frankenbike....off-road pegs, GS skidplate, cylinder head protection, headlight protector, sidestand fatfoot
Cool beans, now I’m heading over to look at dual sport tires!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
sturgeon, thanks for the useful insight! My attention span reached its limit and I can no longer think about footpegs; how long?, how wide?, rubber tops or not?, price, etc, etc, so I went with my gut instinct and pulled the trigger on the Pivot Pegz with topper. I’ll like ‘em. I’m going to have a Frankenbike....off-road pegs, GS skidplate, cylinder head protection, headlight protector, sidestand fatfoot
Cool beans, now I’m heading over to look at dual sport tires!
I hear ya 😂😂 Maybe worth noting - when I bought mine over 10 years ago, they didn't offer toppers. Pivot Pegz are a quality product.

I also have 'sort of' off-roady pegs with the SW-Motechs (rubbers removed, pegs installed in lower position), GS skidplate, MaM valve cover protection, Barkbusters handguards, rad protector. I did have a headlight protector, but it got removed by a hellacious rainstorm/hailstorm a couple of years ago, and I never bothered to replace it. I carry a couple of 4-inch round galvanized electrical box covers for my side-stand. $1.29 at my local hardware store. Easy to replace when I lose one.

Have fun obsessing over the DS tires! My favourites are Mitas E-07s, although to get a 17" for the front you'd have to use a reversed rear tire. They have great longevity and for my purposes work as well as, or better than, TKC-80s. Currently using Metzeler Tourances on my Scrambler, only because when I needed new ones, I couldn't find any Mitas (wrong time of year). I just use road tires on the Roadster; it only sees 'easy' gravel roads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Pivot Pegs Mark 4 are on the bike. Makes it soooo.............easy to get off and on. Every thing about them is good, support when riding, ease of access to shift and brake, standing up with confidence
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 33 Posts