BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

i have an issue with my Left turn light that it doesn't turns on, the right one it works find on demand, but the lest one refuses to start.

Any hint what it may be the issue please ?

thank you for your time.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
It sounds like a handlebar switch issue to me.
If the switch was telling the chassis computer to flash the left indicator and there was an electrical break between the computer and the bulbs, a bulb error would be indicated on the dash. Also, I believe each indicator bulb is on a separate circuit leading from the chassis computer.
What happens when you turn the hazard lights switch on? I suspect all four flash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like a handlebar switch issue to me.
If the switch was telling the chassis computer to flash the left indicator and there was an electrical break between the computer and the bulbs, a bulb error would be indicated on the dash. Also, I believe each indicator bulb is on a separate circuit leading from the chassis computer.
What happens when you turn the hazard lights switch on? I suspect all four flash.
Good evening and thanks for your reply,

When i press both the turn lights so to activate the hazard / all four lamps to start blinking, only the right lights are activated, I verified as well the bulbs on left side and they are good without having any busted light as well on the dashboard.

I have the same thoughts as you re the switch, do you think that it is replaceable or repairable ?

thanks so much for your time!!

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
If your indicator switches are the flappy paddle type (tap both simultaneously for hazard lights) then I suspect you have an 05-09 model RT.
The indicator switch isn’t replaceable individually and BMW technicians wouldn’t repair it - just replace the whole switch assembly.
There are various versions depending on options fitted.
It may be possible to have a crack at repairing it yourself. I had success with repairing a clutch micro switch by drilling two tiny holes in the appropriate places so I could spray electrical contact cleaner through it to clean the contacts and flush out any debris.

Reactions: rxc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your indicator switches are the flappy paddle type (tap both simultaneously for hazard lights) then I suspect you have an 05-09 model RT.
The indicator switch isn’t replaceable individually and BMW technicians wouldn’t repair it - just replace the whole switch assembly.
There are various versions depending on options fitted.
It may be possible to have a crack at repairing it yourself. I had success with repairing a clutch micro switch by drilling two tiny holes in the appropriate places so I could spray electrical contact cleaner through it to clean the contacts and flush out any debris.
Noted thanks allot, much appreciated!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts