BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking delivery of my new 013 R1200R just on two weeks ago I have a query that I've taken up with the dealer (reply awaited). Maybe someone here has an answer - I hope so!

The query concerns the tyre pressure monitoring function (RDC in BMW-speak). On my previous 2011 GS the tyre pressures could be displayed on command via the INFO button (after the first few metres to activate them). I know that different models have different features, but I cannot seem to get the tyre pressure display to show at all. Am I doing something wrong – although pressing a button a few times seems pretty easy!

Or is it intended that the pressures only show – and/ or a warning light - IF there is a loss of pressure to a potentially dangerous level?

The handbook is not at all clear on this, and I am also a little confused because I seem to recall that when running over the bike’s features with me the dealer asked if I ‘worked’ in psi or bars, and I recall looking at the display as he went through this, with something like --- showing at that time.

I assume the RDC function is fitted, as the wheels have the ‘sensor position’ sticker on them, and I also recall him drawing my attention to them.

Any thoughts, guys? I bought the bike 'as was' on the showroom floor and didn't specify which options I wanted, as it seemed to have them all - ABS, ESA, ASC, and - I thought - RDC?

Thanks...

L of S

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Reifendruckkontrolle
BMW just LOVES 3-letter acronyms!!! :dizzy: LOL!
The tire pressure monitor acronym RDC stands for Reifen Druck Control.
(K became a C ? )

Here is the explanation from the Motorrad website.

But in your case SirLawrence, it stands for
Rarely Displays Correctly.

Owners manual 6/72 & 6/73 and 8/94.
Should display the F&R pressure after you reach 30kph.
GS & R are probably the same IMO.
Have your dealer check it.
My dealer talked me out of getting it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
What else does that area of the display show as you scroll through?

I remember a thread recently that showed there are two "banks" of info that can be displayed with the INFO button.

On mine to show the tire pressure I press the botton button on the OBC. And actually it is one gauge that is pretty accurate.

John

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Did you buy a Classic?????
• Package 1:
Heated grips, on-board computer,
centre stand
• Safety package:
ASC (Automatic Stability Control)1)
TPC (Tyre Pressure Control)
ABS
• Package 2:
ESA, on-board computer, heated grips,
centre stand, chrome-plated exhaust
All equipment options in the various

Tyre pressures
with tyre pressure monitoring
(RDC) OE
The tyre-pressure readings are
based on a reference tyre temperature
of 20 °C. The front
tyre pressure is on the left 1;
the reading on the right 2 is
the rear tyre pressure. -- --
appears directly after the ignition
is switched on, because
the sensors do not transmit tyre
pressures until the first time the
motorcycle accelerates to more
than 30 km/h.
If the warning triangle also
shows, the reading is a
warning. The critical tyre pressure
flashes.
If the critical value is close to the
limit of the permissible tolerance
range, the reading is accompanied
by the 'General' warning light
showing yellow. If the tyre pressure
registered by the sensor is
outside the permissible tolerance
range, the 'General' warning light
flashes red.

Tyre pressure
monitoring RDC
with tyre pressure monitoring
(RDC) OE
Function
A sensor integrated into each
tyre measures the air temperature
and the air pressure inside
the tyre and transmits this information
to the control unit.
Each sensor has a centrifugalforce
tripswitch that does not
enable transmission of the measured
values until the motorcycle
has accelerated to about 30 km/
h. The display shows -- for
each tyre until the tyre-pressure
signal is received for the first
time. The sensors continue to
transmit the measured-value signals
for approximately 15 minutes
after the motorcycle comes to a
stop.
The control unit can administrate
four sensors, so two different
sets of wheels with RDC
sensors can be alternated on
the motorcycle. An error message
is issued if wheels without
sensors are fitted to a motorcycle
equipped with an RDC control
unit.
Tyre-pressure ranges
The RDC control unit differentiates
between three tyre-pressure
ranges, all of which are parameterised
for the motorcycle:
Tyre pressure within permitted
tolerance.
Tyre pressure close to limit of
permitted tolerance.
Tyre pressure outside permitted
tolerance.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for inputs, guys. I'm awaiting advice from my dealer (this issue only came to my attention yesterday so I'm a bit hasty in 'panicking', perhaps!), but on an earlier 1200R I did exprience the dreaded fuel-strip problem that nearly caused me to have a stress-induced coronary, so I hope this isn't going to be a repeat of that!

The bike is not the Classic. Frankly, and as always IMHO, I could do without all these acronyms except for ABS. The others are of relatively little value (to me) and largely serve to pump up the price and create a source of potential weaknesses and failures as time goes by. IMHO again!

BUT - am I being reasonable in thinking that if the tyre-pressure read-out function (RDC) is NOT installed then the sensors would not be in the tyres?
It would seem senseless putting them there in the absence of RDC.

The other annoying things about RDC is that it renders access to the tyre-valve stem by conventional servo air-hoses (at least on the rear tyre) next to impossible, so one has to carry an adaptor of some sort. On my bike the front wheel has its valve-stem sticking out at right angles from one of the spokes (as on the new GTs) so access is perfect, but on the rear wheel the stem is still located in the centre of the rim - madness!.

Comments appreciated on this - I will post any outcomes with the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
RDC problem......Did you buy a Classic??????
Haaaa-Haaaa-Haaaa!!! :funnypost:
Priceless.:clap:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trip/odometer button will cycle to the air pressure display odometer->trip a->trip b->tpm.
Thanks Archon and Hoshiko - spot-on, the left-hand trip button does indeed display tyre pressures at the third push thereof! But very poor indeed that the owner manual makes absolutely no mention of this whatsoever - it's very unhelpful and I shall be writing a stiff letter on cardboard to Motorrad here in Oz (and much good may it do me!). So it is NOT the same as on the GS, which is a pity, as accessing tyre pressures on the go via the INFO button is both easier and safer than fumbling for the tiny trip button, especially with maybe thick gloves on.

BTW, I'm glad I got onto this quickly as the display showed that I have been riding - fortunately only about 300km since taking delivery of the new bike - with the rear tyre at 2.8bar - should be 2.5. Front OK at 2.2.

Thanks for all helpful inputs...

L of S

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, I'm glad I got onto this quickly as the display showed that I have been riding - fortunately only about 300km since taking delivery of the new bike - with the rear tyre at 2.8bar - should be 2.5. Front OK at 2.2.

L of S
Sorry, guys, I made a mistake here. Pressures as currently shown on the display are as I wrote above (front - 2.2 bar/ rear - 2.8 bar) - but the required pressures (one-up riding) are actually front - 2.5 bar/ rear - 2.9 bar.

So I've actually been riding on under-inflated tyres both front and back, the front discrepancy being a bit worse than the rear.

Easily fixed - even better, now I can keep an eye on things!

L of S

PS - how does one edit a post???

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Thanks Archon and Hoshiko - spot-on, the left-hand trip button does indeed display tyre pressures at the third push thereof! But very poor indeed that the owner manual makes absolutely no mention of this whatsoever - it's very unhelpful and I shall be writing a stiff letter on cardboard to Motorrad here in Oz (and much good may it do me!). So it is NOT the same as on the GS, which is a pity, as accessing tyre pressures on the go via the INFO button is both easier and safer than fumbling for the tiny trip button, especially with maybe thick gloves on.

L of S

I'm just glad you didn't get a classic

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More issues with tyre pressure data...

OK – I’ve sorted out how to read the tyre-pressures via the left-hand trip button, NOT via the INFO button as previously.

But I am still confused by some paragraphs in the Rider’s Manual (08.2012, 5th edition).

On page 73 it talks about ‘pressure adaptation’ and refers the reader to “…the table on the inside cover of the Rider’s Manual. Then use the air-line to compensate for the difference between the RDC reading and the value in the table”. This clearly implies that the “table” allows the rider to make calculations to allow for the difference in tyre pressure between what the RDC display says and what the servo air-hose says (that’s if I read it correctly – it’s not at all clear!)

The back inside covers of my Rider’s Manual are blank, the front inside covers contain some motorcycle data and a welcome message. Nowhere is there anything that remotely resembles a list or table of numbers or values.

Does anyone have any info or advice on this, please? Am I missing something? I don’t want to turn each attempt to add air to the tyres into a lengthy time-consuming process!

Thanks...

L of S

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
man, I leave for a while and look what happens,
....flaming on classics. I see how it is!
:eek:He's getting completely out of hand.:iagree:
Time for a road trip to NY?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dear Sir Lawrence ( how this just rolls off the tongue....),
My understanding of this Pressure Adaption is :
The stated recommended pressure is 2.5 front , 2.9 rear.
If the front tyre reading is ( via the mutli display) is 2.3 AND the air supply hose gauge is reading 2.4, a further 0.2 bar is required for the multi display to record 2.5bar.
The NEW air hose reading must now be 2.6 bar.
I hope this helps.
Best Regards
John

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks, John - yes, this much is (just about) clear from the Manual, but I'm still puzzled about the reference to the table of numbers/ values!

This is turning what should be the simplest of operations - adding air to a tyre - into a marathon! And at the servo yesterday I was using one of the newer-fangled hose lines, where you 'dial-in' the pressure required: attach the hose end to the valve stem: and the machine adds air a bit at a time until the required value is reached. But at no time does it show what the air-pressure is in the tyre to begin with!

And I had to dial-in and add a good deal over the desired pressures to get anywhere near a correct display on the OBC. This seems to me to be yet another classic case of an electronic system that's supposed to make life easier actually complicating things and adding to the length of time to undertake a minor ritual. All I need (or want) on a bike is ABS - you can keep the rest and I'll keep the change!!Aaaarrrggggghhhhhhh!

L of S.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Can't you just overinflate and bleed it down to what you want with a hand gauge? I think that would give you more riding time. Then see what the OBC displays. and there's your norm.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's exactly what I'm gonna do - and then religiously ignore the OBC display unless it shows a low-pressure warning at any time.

Another semi-useless and presumably costly bit of kit!

But thanks for all replies...

L of S

1 - 20 of 32 Posts