BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to change my rear roadtec Z8 yesterday as I noticed the tread was down to the wire, but only in the center, I have seen this before but on Pirelli angels. These tyres have lasted well, I changed the front a short while ago because they were developing a 45 degree chamfer, more on the right than the left but still had plenty of tread n the middle, now I've had to change the rear due to the middle wearing right down but leaving plenty of tread on both sides. I think this must be down to pressures so am considering lowering the pressure at both ends by 2 lbs. I keep a close eye on the pressures and have run these tyres at 36/42 from new. Has anyone else experienced wear like this and what did you do to cure it?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ask me in another thousand miles or so.
How many miles are you getting out of them. Are you sticking with Z8's?
Even though I can't really fault them, and they are available at a very keen price, I'm not sure I can resist trying the new funky looking and expensive Michelin Road 5.
Did you use the dealer for tyres - or are they best avoided for such consumables?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Would be interesting to know how many kms, but always liked the Z8 on my previous bike (F800r) but also experienced the sudden wear at the end of the life of the Z8. Started a ride looking fine with space left on the wear bars and then had to turn around and go home after 3 hours on the freeway at 75 -90 MPH.

My R12R LC came fitted with the pedestrian Road Pilot 4s and have since switched to Dunlop RS III.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Exactly the way my rear Z8 wore. One day I thought it looked fine, and then after a ride or two the center seam was exposed.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That tyre had 9,741 miles on it so I cant complain about the mileage, it's just the odd wear pattern with only the middle worn down. I have fitted another Z8 as the front is nearly new so will drop the pressure by 2 lb to see if I can get a better wear pattern. Beemer dealer will only fit tyres they supply so I don't use them, I fit my own tyres. Only seen this kind of wear with tearing in the middle using angels, they were good one day shagged the next.

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
That tyre had 9,741 miles on it so I cant complain about the mileage, it's just the odd wear pattern with only the middle worn down.
Wow! If I manage to get half of that out of my OE Z8 I'll be happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts