BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten from a mate with a K13 a led taillight - his broke. He got a new and I kept his. After repairing the cracks I was pretty happy and installed it on my bike.
Works really well. I don't get a dashboard error light for the rear light, but I do get it for the brake light.
It's a pretty well known fact that the K13's taillight is the same as the R12R's up to 14. It's also well known that only a Motorrad dealership can flag to the firmware the change in the current demand from the taillight.
I decided to try and got in contact with Wolverh's Motorrad, my closest dealer.
Got a reply saying that their system did not recognise a led taillight accessory but they would only know for sure once connected to my bike's computer, which would set me back 50 quid, just for connecting and finding out.
I find this odd as I've read in the internet that the BMW service software shows the led taillight as an accessory and even provides instructions for the wiring.
I'm going there with the bike this Saturday, the 3rd, but have a nagging feeling that I'll be just trashing out £50.

Does anyone have experience going through a dealer to get firmware to recognise a led taillight here in the UK on their R12R? I'd be surprised if I were to be the first...

Thanks!

PS: I know that I can measure the current when the LED is on and put in parallel a resistor to fool the CAN light driver...but I find that wrong in almost every possible way and would only do it if I really can't get the darn firmware to recognise it...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. As a willing guinea-pig I went there. Friendly staff. For one hour they tried to reprogram the ECU/ZFE. They said they were successful in telling the ECU the tail light was now an LED but that they weren't able to get rid of the yellow light. They did not know why.
Only paid £27, and not the £50 initially quoted, but no better than before.
I ran GS911 on the bike and found that it now states "rear bulb change" when I get the status on the central unit. This is odd as it is listed as an item but phrased as an action...
I'm guessing the process has a few more steps than just setting the lamp.
Bottom line, I guess it is a hit and miss whether one will be able here in the UK to get the firmware updated on an "old" R12R to accept an LED tail light.
I'll be doing the MOT in the next couple of weeks so I needed to get rid of the warning light.
Measured the current into the brake section of the assembly and got 330 mA. At 12 V this would be ~ 4 W. I found that adding another 4 W @ 12 V, i.e., 39 Ohm in parallel, was enough on my bike's CAN to stop showing the "troubled" light.
If someone stumbles into a dealer that knows how to get this done please share.
It feels very unsatisfactory to have had to resort to a freaking resistor, which is inefficient and dangerous as it warms to potentially high temperatures in a casing not designed for that, when all it was required was for the dealership to have followed the BMW service manual and programmed the ECU/ZFE :mad:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Update. As a willing guinea-pig I went there. Friendly staff. For one hour they tried to reprogram the ECU/ZFE. They said they were successful in telling the ECU the tail light was now an LED but that they weren't able to get rid of the yellow light. They did not know why.
Only paid £27, and not the £50 initially quoted, but no better than before.
I ran GS911 on the bike and found that it now states "rear bulb change" when I get the status on the central unit. This is odd as it is listed as an item but phrased as an action...
I'm guessing the process has a few more steps than just setting the lamp.
Bottom line, I guess it is a hit and miss whether one will be able here in the UK to get the firmware updated on an "old" R12R to accept an LED tail light.
I'll be doing the MOT in the next couple of weeks so I needed to get rid of the warning light.
Measured the current into the brake section of the assembly and got 330 mA. At 12 V this would be ~ 4 W. I found that adding another 4 W @ 12 V, i.e., 39 Ohm in parallel, was enough on my bike's CAN to stop showing the "troubled" light.
If someone stumbles into a dealer that knows how to get this done please share.
It feels very unsatisfactory to have had to resort to a freaking resistor, which is inefficient and dangerous as it warms to potentially high temperatures in a casing not designed for that, when all it was required was for the dealership to have followed the BMW service manual and programmed the ECU/ZFE :mad:
The update requires the old BMW diagnostic computer. If they're plugging you into the newest version, the program isn't available. They'll have to plug you into the older unit (if they still have it) and run the program for the LED taillight to clear the codes/lamp warning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The update requires the old BMW diagnostic computer. If they're plugging you into the newest version, the program isn't available. They'll have to plug you into the older unit (if they still have it) and run the program for the LED taillight to clear the codes/lamp warning.
Thanks @R1200N8. I'll let Andrew at the dealership know and see what he replies back...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts