BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How have you guys solved this?

It would be great to be able to connect a cell phone and other devices.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Depends on what type of USB power output your device requires. I have one of these hardwired to the battery and it works perfectly for my iPhone and my GPS:

All Weather USB Hardwire Kit

I also have the Burns Moto Weatherproof USB Port
and it works well. The port is connected to the battery leads and it has a built in digital fuse. I highly recommend the rubber seal that makes the connection waterproof.

I installed the port to the upper triple tree with velcro.

Here's a link.
BurnsMoto - Motorcycle, ATV, Boat, RV - USB Weatherproof Power Socket - USB Charger with optional SAE to USB

and here's a link for a cable that fits the "mystery socket"
Cable for extra device (GPS) 12V for BMW R1200R | BMW Motorcycle Accessory Hornig

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and it works well. The port is connected to the battery leads and it has a built in digital fuse. I highly recommend the rubber seal that makes the connection waterproof.

Here's a link.
BurnsMoto - Motorcycle, ATV, Boat, RV - USB Weatherproof Power Socket - USB Charger with optional SAE to USB

Cable for extra device (GPS) 12V for BMW R1200R | BMW Motorcycle Accessory Hornig
Great! I'll just solder those to together! =)

However, I read somewhere that the "mystery socket" cable cost about 9€, here it costs 25€. Anyone found that cable somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts

Here's a link.

That definitely sounds like a workable solution, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
So can you hook up the Burns wire directl to the battery terminals? Will the CAN-Bus get all sniffy on you and shut everything down?

Also, the Mystery Plug cable (which is labeled "GPS TO CAN-BUS LEAD") has three yellow wires, and it looks like the USB connector has two? So what to do if you wanted to solder a USB connector to it?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Jokerdef,

What length Burns cable did you get?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
So can you hook up the Burns wire directl to the battery terminals? Will the CAN-Bus get all sniffy on you and shut everything down?

Also, the Mystery Plug cable (which is labeled "GPS TO CAN-BUS LEAD") has three yellow wires, and it looks like the USB connector has two? So what to do if you wanted to solder a USB connector to it?
I'll check the schematics in my Haynes manual when I get home, but I'd assume the third one is a ground, which would go unused with a USB connector with just a (+) and (-) lead.

Like I said, I'll check when I get home and let you know.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
OK. We're getting somewhere. Clem emailed me that the 3 yellow wires on the Mystery Plug connector actually have teeny tiny "1" "2" and "3" printed on the wires, and he suggests (I think, don't quote me on this) using just the "1" and "3" yellow wires to hook up to a Burns USB port, via soldering, etc.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
A recommendation that I have is to look at the AC adapter you have for the device you want to plug into this new USB/Mystery Plug connector, and make sure to get a USB port that will support that much current. For example, my Galaxy Note 2 has a 2.1 amp AC adapter, so fortunately a Google search revealed that a 2.1 amp "Burns USB port" type plug exists. Just wanted to remind everyone as this could be easily overloooked.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I'm assuming that my Iphone 5 will somehow hook up to the Mystery Plug connector via the Burns USB and a few dabs of solder. Time will Tell as I ordered the Burns USB port today, and he shipped it just about immediately. Great service, so when it gets here, and we've confirmed which yellow wires go to which Burns wires, I will let everyone know. Or if you hear of a news item saying "Dumb Guy Blows Up His Iphone on his Motorcycle" . . well, you'll know either way. . ..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just use a multimeter to se what 2 wires is the 12v (+) and the (-) and ignore the final wire.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Ah, at last, a use for my multimeter. . .

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Kp, yeah, that's what I've got. . .why wouldn't you use it for a USB port?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I initially tried using the GPS port for my iPhone to charge it and it was what I would call erratic. By that I mean the phone would charge fine for a period of time and then it would simply stop charging for no reason. I always assumed it was due to the CAN-Bus. I eventually gave up and hardwired to the battery. Everything has been fine since then.

If you do hardwire be sure not to leave anything plugged into the USB port after you turn off the bike or you will possibly discharge your bike's battery. :D

Thanks,
kerplunk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dave, yes you can, and no, it won't shut down everything, but it's overkill for as low-draw a device as a cell phone. The point of direct-to-battery connection is to bypass the bike's entire electrical ecosystem — the ZFE control module that regulates the electronics and the can-bus pathway on which all that electrical goodness travels. The ZFE will cut power to any outlets on the network drawing more than ~5A. Most heated riding clothing, which draws a lot more than 5A, will work only via a direct-to-battery connection.

My sense is an iPhone 5 or the like isn't worth your trouble. As kerplunk and other BMW riders would probably agree, the ZFE module (via the can-bus network) is nothing if not fussy. Might I suggest a mophie (.com) juice pack ? :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just took the USB adapter and I plug that into the "by the seat" socket. plugs fine to iPhone into my pockets while i am driving.. but I am afraid what if I forget that my iPhone is plugged into while dims ting from Bike..

but hey it works !!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Some day I will get the lead from under the tank and mount a USB in front of the tank on the plastic piece, out of the way, hidden. Then I could use a short USB connecter to my phone which is mounted to my handlebars with a Rokform bicycle mount.

iPhone 6 Bike Handlebar Mount w/ Protective Case

Until then I will continue to use the USB plug my local BMW dealer sold me, connect to the powerlet and run the USB cord to my phone, which so far has not been necessary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts