BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2015R1200R. I'd like to mount my Valentine 1 detector into the Nav cradle. Is there any adaptor available that will provide switched power from the cradle?
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
895 Posts
  • Helpful
Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
just an FYI. Find a cheap or free clear shower cap, often given away with toilettries at a motel, and keep it handy for any rain, wrapping it around the unit. If you've never heard a V1 scream, literally, when it gets wet, you don't want to, believe me, especially if you're wearing earbuds or have in helmet speakers and bluetooth. Got caught in some sleet in NW Ark once, it wasn't soaked, but water got in somehow. It did successfully dry out.
I had mine mounted on a "TechMount" when I used it-worked well, but as I got older, presumably wiser, I found more roads that were suitable to the posted speed limits.
Not critiqueing the intent at all. I understand. Probably would've saved me three tickets in Wyoming, Iowa and Louisiana.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dr. S - I live in southern Nevada. One road I ride out here has a sign posted "Next Services 160 Miles". If I'm riding backroads and need a break, I just stop on the asphalt get off the bike and wander around. Traffic during the week is almost non-existent. Sometime4s I see more speed goats than people. Riding slower than the speed of sound is VERY boring. If you want an idea as to what it's like here Google Silver State Open Road Race.
BTW: shower cap is a #1 idea, thanks.
Photo is of my 2007 Harley on one of Nevada's lightly-travelled roads
Sky Cloud Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
895 Posts
Doesn't show that it will fit my 2015 R1200R. Can you show me a photo of it on your R?
My "R" now has another owner, but it's the same mounting for my RS. I'll take a couple of snaps later.
(BTW you should be able to ride from Carson City to Austin on a full tank, Beemer or Bagger.)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle

Automotive design Motor vehicle Camera Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC
111 Posts
I've always used a very small shower cap-like thing that is made for covering a bowl of food in the refrigerator. They call them elastic bowl covers and you can either borrow one from your wife or buy them on Amazon (or probably at the supermarket).

I usually just take the V1 off and put it away when it starts raining, though and almost never use one these days - the advent of LiDar has really limited the utility of the V1 and other detectors.

I would add that LEOs seem to be much more likely to issue a ticket rather than a warning if a radar detector is visible...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Dr. S - I live in southern Nevada.
Yeah, I get it. And it is on roads like that that you can get caught. I've ridden across and through NV a bunch, a beautiful state. I love 51?, I think, south from Mountain view Idaho. I really like Great basin Nat park. Ive done Extra terrestrial and stopped in rachel for Coffee, 93 a number of times, US 50 and it is NOT the "loneliest road in America," Vegas, red Rock, a bunch. It was one of the most surprising states I've visited because of its stark beauty. Mesmerizing. Also rode in the adjacent areas of Utah, including Mountain meadows Massacre site---worth a visit
That shown road, I'd probably just set the cruise at 5 over, assuming 70? 75? and let the miles pass. In the past I may have seen what the bike could do, like on 209 south of Tucumcari--126 with rate limiter bouncing in on my 09 r1200r, then 116 on the GS in Great Basin. Probably didn't have the V1 on either of those rides??? I put it on after the 3 tickets I got, for speeding--all on my r1150r, like 62 in a 55, chickenshite stuff. then I found it really didn't help on subsequent rides, took it off, never mounted it on the GS, and got a ticket in Clear lake Iowa after visiting the Buddy Holly crash site, doing 45 in a POORLY MARKED 35. Had I the V1 on, I probably would've still gotten the ticket because the speed limit was 55, then 45 so I was doing 45 and never saw a 35mph sign that the LEO said was there.
I had mine tied into a hard wire connection to a fuse box extender. The GPS plug that many use had a delay in it to go off, or something that made it unusable for the V1.
I eventually decided that on the roads I ride it just wasn't that useful and it was eye candy to any thief.
I do have it mounted in my car though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts