BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '18 R12LC with SW Motech engine crash bars attached. Other than using SW Motech Valve Cover guards will the plastic Machineart valve cover guards fit past the crash bars? Manufacturer says probably. I need to know definitively. Anyone know for sure? Also if using same crash bars are you bothering to use valve cover guards? I had a near tip over in gravel and realized the rocks would still damage the valve covers even if the crash bars prevented structural damage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How much clearance between the bars and the valve covers is there? The Machineart guards are up to 1/2" thick in some areas.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the Machineart covers fit snug all the way around the valve cover? Do they protrude anywhere? The manufacturer said something about the rear on one side (left?) possibly contacting the engine guards but not preventing installation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
They fit pretty smooth and don't "protrude" as far as I can tell, but they are "thick" with the combined rubber liner and plastic shell...

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Wunderlich bars come with spacers, for mounting on top on valve cover protection. Could use them i suppose, or manufacture some similar, should it be too tight of a fit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a '18 R12LC with SW Motech engine crash bars attached. Other than using SW Motech Valve Cover guards will the plastic Machineart valve cover guards fit past the crash bars? Manufacturer says probably. I need to know definitively. Anyone know for sure? Also if using same crash bars are you bothering to use valve cover guards? I had a near tip over in gravel and realized the rocks would still damage the valve covers even if the crash bars prevented structural damage.
I know one guy that had Machineartmoto covers on his R1200RS. When he installed SW Motech bars he had to remove the Machineartmoto covers because of a clearance problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I installed the Moto covers. On the '18 R12R left side, I had to loosen all and remove some of the hardware securing the SW Motech engine crash bars. I then reinstalled the crash bars. The lower cross bar section under the cylinder head contacts the cover. Andrew from Machineart explained this to me before I went ahead with the purchase of the covers. I was prepared to remove some material from the cover if needed to make it fit, but I didn't need to do that. I will need to remove the crash bars when maintenance is needed under the valve cover.
The right side crash bars clear the covers without any issue. I have no idea why SW Motech fits one side differently than the other. We are talking about 10 millimeters and the cover would slide right in. I wonder if the SW Motech valve cover guards fit easily under their own crash bars?
I think the covers are necessary protection. The black Machineart covers look really good on my black R with black Motech bars, black and grey engine and ceramic coated exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts