BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

On my 2011 R1200r, I have the vStream z2442 (medium) and would be interested in a z2443 (short) if anyone has one for sale. I only need the actual windscreen and not the mounting brackets and hardware.

Thank you for your consideration...

Steve Evers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Steve,
Think that I might have one- not completely sure of the "official" model number however, remember it to be a "smoke sport screen" Let me check
Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings Scott... Sir, much appreciated
Yes, I'm pretty sure that the shorter VStream windshield comes only in the smoked. Thanks for checking.

·
Registered
2013 BMW R1200R . 2008 KTM 990 Super Duke R clone. 2011 Husaberg FE 390
9 Posts
How do you like the medium shield I have a 2013 sport shield (bmw) and been thinking of up grading for a bit more wind protection of trading for a RT. No one wants to buy my 13 so I may upgrade and keep my r1200r. It is a great bike but I have a super duke for sporty ride. Just looking for a bit more long distance comfort. Let me know about your medium vstream

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pmcintosh- My response may stir things up, and admittedly you asked about teh "medium" screen which I have the large now.. Go ahead and bite the bullet and get the RT anyway that you can (if you are wanting superior wind protection) R1200R is a naked bike, that's it.. Putting a screen on it is like lipstick on a pig. I have tried several types of screen, VStream is no doubt the best for my 5'11 body and all of them are minus turbulence, but noise noise noise!! PS- I have tried Nolan, AGV, Shuberth and Arai. it is not the helmet, however the wind pattern in front of and over the top- Noise. Fully naked- the bike rides like a dream.. Or just wear ear plugs.. Just my 2c's Safe rides- Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greetings...I very much like the whole vStream system, the bracket, the shape of the windscreen, the shape of the no-air pocket, and the rigidness of the screen and bracket. For the most part, I really like the medium shield, allow me to share a couple of observations from my use.

1. The height is good for my desire to not have to look through a windscreen
2. I am 5'6" and maybe a tad bit longer in the torso than my height would dictate, meaning my inseam is shorter than I would like for taller bikes. Yet I still have to lean forward onto my wrists, even with the bar risers that lift and bring back the bars. I mention this because your torso height and arm length affects how a screen works for each individual person. I look over the medium screen by about 4-6. This means that the wind at 70mph hits me about the mid visor. Thankfully I really experience little to no buffeting, and I am pretty strong in my dislike for buffeting.
3. If I crouch down below the windscreen it gets really quiet, yet noise is not too much even in my normal riding position with this windscreen. I wear earplugs and don't have issues...I also like it pretty quiet when I ride.
4. Now the downside of the screen...for me... I believe it is both too tall and it is too short. I'll explain, for my height on long summer road trips, I believe it would be better to have a shorter screen, so I could have more wind on my upper chest/shoulders/head to help balance my forward-leaning and take some weight off my wrists. Yet for winter, I believe having a taller screen will be helpful to keep more wind off of you and give you a bigger no-wind envelop behind the screen. Here in Arizona, we can ride most all of the winter, at least here in the central/southern part of the state, yet it will get down to the high 20 degrees on a few mornings, and the extra wind protection of a tall screen would be appreciated. This is another reason I like the vStream system, you could have a short screen for summer, and a tall for winter and they take about 5-10 minutes to change.
5. I also believe that the extra wind from using the short sport screen in the summer should greatly benefit my mesh riding jacket that now doesn't really get enough wind for cooling.
6. This is my experience, your mileage may vary. The medium screen might provide all the benefits to a taller person that I believe the short screen offers me.

Thanks for asking...if you come across a tall screen for a 2011-2013 R12r, I would be interested in it also.

I may...may be putting my medium height vStream screen up for sale, but not until I try both a short and a tall. If there were no short or tall vStream screens, I would probably be ecstatic with my very low buffeting, very well built, and sufficiently short enough ...medium screen. Funny thing is, if I only could have one screen, I probably would get the medium as a balance between the two other options.

Steve

Reactions: derudog

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you like the medium shield I have a 2013 sport shield (bmw) and been thinking of up grading for a bit more wind protection of trading for a RT. No one wants to buy my 13 so I may upgrade and keep my r1200r. It is a great bike but I have a super duke for sporty ride. Just looking for a bit more long distance comfort. Let me know about your medium vstream
Pmcintosh ...another thing on the vStream screen, it comes down below the front flashers and does a pretty decent job of keeping the wind off your waist and even legs.

Between the boxer cylinders down low and the vStream side/flasher skirts, my lower half doesn't really get too cold even when I have elected to don my electric jacket liner under my riding jacket.

Also, another thing that might be worth considering, and take it with a grain of salt since I have never ridden an RT, but the larger amount of faring of an RT might make it a bit more sensitive to wind gusts, side gusts, and semi-truck traffic on the highways. A naked R12r with a windshield has not been an issue with wind gusts in my experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pmcintosh ...another thing on the vStream screen, it comes down below the front flashers and does a pretty decent job of keeping the wind off your waist and even legs.

Between the boxer cylinders down low and the vStream side/flasher skirts, my lower half doesn't really get too cold even when I have elected to don my electric jacket liner under my riding jacket.

Also, another thing that might be worth considering, and take it with a grain of salt since I have never ridden an RT, but the larger amount of faring of an RT might make it a bit more sensitive to wind gusts, side gusts, and semi-truck traffic on the highways. A naked R12r with a windshield has not been an issue with wind gusts in my experience.
Thanks, not going the RT route, too much extra weight, I dont do long tours nor carry a passenger. Like the bike too much to take a low ball trade offer. Will be ordering the medium shield and try it, I dont expect RT quiet but that is ok by me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wandering a little off topic here, but thought I'd chip in anyway, as I'm fortunate enough to have both 1250R & 1200RT.

Very, very different bikes - although only a little heavier (surprisingly little given the different visuals) the RT is what it was designed to be: a comfortable touring perch for two people, with a "real" seat for the passenger, one that doesn't become uncomfortable by the end of a long day. To be fair, I have the RT simply because it's a bike on which my wife will still ride with me. It would be a pink and yellow striped Gold Wing if that's what it took. Nevertheless, it can be seriously hustled when required, and it handles remarkably well. If there is any doubt about this, just try running away from a trained motor officer! If it wasn't for the SWMBO side of things, I'd trade both the RT & the R for an RS and be done with it.

The R1250R is definitely a more sporty bike, and in my mind much more fun. It's almost like an up-to-date Norton. But much as I enjoy it, there is absolutely no way I'd want to do a 700 mile day on it, screen or not.

Which segues into the topic at hand, screens. I have two screens for the R, a much shortened vStream, which only goes a couple of inches above the instruments, perfect for short trips and great air flow in our muggy summer weather. The other one is the tallest vStream, with the addition of a Rifle vent, and an X-Creen deflector - full barn door.. It certainly doesn't look good - the R looks so joyfully purposeful when naked! - but when it's cold and you want to go fairly far and you know you're going to spend time at the upper end of the speedometer, it works wonderfully well. For the upper body and noise, it works equally well as, or perhaps better than, the RT. With that screen and the Seth Laam seat, there are no distance limits. Changing screens takes only unzipping and rezipping four Allen screws.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wandering a little off topic here, but thought I'd chip in anyway, as I'm fortunate enough to have both 1250R & 1200RT.

Very, very different bikes - although only a little heavier (surprisingly little given the different visuals) the RT is what it was designed to be: a comfortable touring perch for two people, with a "real" seat for the passenger, one that doesn't become uncomfortable by the end of a long day. To be fair, I have the RT simply because it's a bike on which my wife will still ride with me. It would be a pink and yellow striped Gold Wing if that's what it took. Nevertheless, it can be seriously hustled when required, and it handles remarkably well. If there is any doubt about this, just try running away from a trained motor officer! If it wasn't for the SWMBO side of things, I'd trade both the RT & the R for an RS and be done with it.

The R1250R is definitely a more sporty bike, and in my mind much more fun. It's almost like an up-to-date Norton. But much as I enjoy it, there is absolutely no way I'd want to do a 700 mile day on it, screen or not.

Which segues into the topic at hand, screens. I have two screens for the R, a much shortened vStream, which only goes a couple of inches above the instruments, perfect for short trips and great air flow in our muggy summer weather. The other one is the tallest vStream, with the addition of a Rifle vent, and an X-Creen deflector - full barn door.. It certainly doesn't look good - the R looks so joyfully purposeful when naked! - but when it's cold and you want to go fairly far and you know you're going to spend time at the upper end of the speedometer, it works wonderfully well. For the upper body and noise, it works equally well as, or perhaps better than, the RT. With that screen and the Seth Laam seat, there are no distance limits. Changing screens takes only unzipping and rezipping four Allen screws.
Jack...thanks for your input and experience. A lot of good info here. I too totally understand the part of keeping the wife happy with the riding accommodations. Interesting comparison between the R1250r and the RT. I was especially surprised to hear that your tall vStream with additional accessories "...works equally well as, or perhaps better than, the RT." Seriously!!!! I would never have guessed that. I really like my R12r, yet I have convinced myself that I just really need an RT for those longer trips. Haven't ridden one yet, so I might not even like the ergonomics, but as of right now, I need one!!!

Since I am on the short side, I may try your recipe for good air protection on my R12r. My screen is the medium height vStream, but maybe with the clamp on deflector, will allow me the necessary wind protection. I don't know what a Rifle vent is thought. Totally agree that the look of the naked R is best when it is the most naked (but I do like a small screen)!!! Your report on the short vStream is of great interest to me...I want to get one. Your two screens, short and tall are probably the best solution...I have the medium and will ultimately have to pick up the other two windscreens.

Thanks again for your input and comments. - Steve

·
Registered
227 Posts
Rifle Vent

"If it is pretty you are looking for, this ain't it!"

1. Rifle vent in the RT
2. Same - different view
3. Tall vStream, full barn door effect with vent
4. Cut down vStream post-install, pre-clean up. May need to make even shorter, in which case I will reduce the width too - haven't finished testing to my satisfaction yet.

And if is really hot & muggy I either take it off entirely or go by car!

JtL.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rifle Vent

"If it is pretty you are looking for, this ain't it!"

1. Rifle vent in the RT ++Thanks, this makes sense, I have bookmarked this.
2. Same - different view
3. Tall vStream, full barn door effect with vent
4. Cut down vStream post-install, pre-clean up. May need to make even shorter, in which case I will reduce the width too - haven't finished testing to my satisfaction yet. -

And if is really hot & muggy I either take it off entirely or go by car!

JtL.

View attachment 109641 View attachment 109642 View attachment 109643 View attachment 109644

1. Rifle vent in the RT ++Thanks, this makes sense, I have bookmarked this.

4. Cut down vStream post-install, pre-clean up. May need to make even shorter, in which case I will reduce the width too - haven't finished testing to my satisfaction yet. ++ What vStream screen did you cut down?? Was it the sport (the shortest screen)?? Your version of the screen does seem a bit wider than my vStream. I also notice that my screen has (3) mounting points on each side of the light/instruments as opposed to your two.

How have you decided to "trim" your shield to get to your intended purpose?? Do you have a trim/testing method that you have used?? I have done some screen trimming and don't really have a "system". I am considering trimming my vStream medium and don't want to hack into without all the advice I can get.

Thanks....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Towards the bottom of this thread thread you should find all the info you need.

If not, PM me and I'll try to answer any questions. Bear in mind that on this topic there are many people more expert than I here on the forum.

JtL

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
Note, @Sre7 that while you might really need an RT, many have criticised the turbulent airflow with the stock screen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Towards the bottom of this thread thread you should find all the info you need.

If not, PM me and I'll try to answer any questions. Bear in mind that on this topic there are many people more expert than I here on the forum.

JtL
Thank you...good thread. Learned a few finishing techniques. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Note, @Sre7 that while you might really need an RT, many have criticised the turbulent airflow with the stock screen.

Yeah Panzermann...might be true, and I again appreciate your experience and expertise...but I am an eternal optimist and believe I can make anything work.... except if the bike is toooo tall, then I don't want to have to mess with it. Will have to beg my way into a ride on one someday... I like the look of the bike and I visualize myself doing a crazy long ride someday before I get too old!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
The stock screen on the RT is, IMHO, crap, which is why I have a Wunderlich on it.

There are quite a few options if you try the RT and don't like the air management. It all depends on what you want.

As a bike, it is superlative, and remarkably competent, although not a bike you will develop much of an attachment to. It does everything very well yet isn't the very best at anything in particular.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The stock screen on the RT is, IMHO, crap, which is why I have a Wunderlich on it.

There are quite a few options if you try the RT and don't like the air management. It all depends on what you want.

As a bike, it is superlative, and remarkably competent, although not a bike you will develop much of an attachment to. It does everything very well yet isn't the very best at anything in particular.
Ordered medium vstream monday was delivered tuesday (free shipping). I had an issue with one bracket not fitting on one of the 6 mounting points, I was able to tweak and mount shield, test ride showed noise and buffeting, raising out of seat a few inches made everything much better. I called national cycle right away (Paul) said I could come to factory for them to review issues and swap to the tall version. I live approx 110 miles and left home in 32 degree weather, I got there and they had wonderful customer service, replaced the mount, fitted taller windshield, took a test ride, still a little noise but buffeting gone. If I lowered myself a couple inches totally quiet. I agreed to take the tall version and they sold me the very short one for $100 as a spare. I was totally happy with their customer service, I will try a lip next to get that quieter effect. I am 5'8" with 29" inseam on a 2013 r1200r with comfort seat. Lots of great info from you guys, I can still see over the top of shield but might have kept the medium and try the laminar lip. Just a learning process as you guys know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts