BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Yes its 9$ on Amazon - frankly I think its irresponsible the way we buy tools these days.
Not just that, 99.99% of the time most tools get little to no use and the cost to the environment is not trivial.
Heck one of these nuts could serve an entire county under the right arrangements.
So before you call me a cheapskate I'll pay you the 10$ to borrow your tool - the universe will thank us both and I'll owe you one!

If you are within a 20mile driving range of 27101 in Winston Salem let me know.

Thanks.

If not I'll probably buy one tomorrow; funny thing is I have the tool in VA where I used to live together with almost every tool to wrench on these bikes which hasn't been touched in 2 years.

Registered
Would that be pick up or home delivery? 馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
If you're worried about the environmental cost of making an extra socket most of the big auto parts store do free rentals now. You pay for the tool, and when you return it they refund you. Sounds like that would solve your concerns for net no cost.

Registered
Given that one needs this tool to remove the front wheel every time you want to mount a new tire, it seems like a useful item to have in the toolbox. Even borrowing one multiple times would consume a non-trivial amount of resources.

Registered
And then there's the cost of your time and fuel (not to mention the 'opportunity cost' when you could be doing other more useful/meaningful things with your time) to jump in/on the car/bike to go and rent one each time you need the tool.

As an alternative, it may be worth going to the store just once and buying one (and perhaps at the same time buying any other tools you may need, thereby reducing the acquisition cost per item.) You will then have them available and ready to use as and when needed. You could then also be in a position to assist other folks who, like you, may need access to those same tools.

IMHO, there's also the mental 'comfort' when undertaking a job in knowing the right tool is ready and waiting to do the job quickly and safely. There's no guarantee the tool rental shop will be open and available, or you'll have the time when you need the tool.

Then, when they're no longer needed, eg; bike is sold, put them up on here or elsewhere and sell them on, thereby saving the planet and maximising the benefit to you. Food for thought and respect the position you are trying to take.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
And then there's the cost of your time and fuel (not to mention the 'opportunity cost' when you could be doing other more useful/meaningful things with your time) to jump in/on the car/bike to go and rent one each time you need the tool.
. . . . . .
Then, when they're no longer needed, eg; bike is sold, put them up on here or elsewhere and sell them on, thereby saving the planet and maximising the benefit to you. Food for thought and respect the position you are trying to take.
Fair point. I am, as is my wont, overthinking it, should just buy the damn tool.
On the cosmic scale though, it grinds my gears. Its an alienating habit. I've read too much and not enough philosophy.

It creates an illusion of 'self-sufficiency' which is isolationist. Either that or the strain馃尶馃尶 has changed! lol!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
If you're worried about the environmental cost of making an extra socket most of the big auto parts store do free rentals now. You pay for the tool, and when you return it they refund you. Sounds like that would solve your concerns for net no cost.
Yeah I'm familiar with the arrangement, and think its brilliant! They don't have this socket for rental though - I should have wanted perhaps to live in an agrarian commune where we shared all but the women! lol!

Registered
If you mean the 22mm hex hole in the end of the axle, the back end of lots of common sparkplug sockets works just fine. And is a fine example of re-use.

Registered
If you mean the 22mm hex hole in the end of the axle, the back end of lots of common sparkplug sockets works just fine. And is a fine example of re-use.
That's what I used until I bought a 22 mm hex.
IMG_0052.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all! I ordered the tool - waiting to see come tax season how it affects my carbon-credits馃! What was it Nassim Taleb said about being an asshole to talk-show hosts?
Something to the effect that when he feels guilty he just donates to charity? Being Catholic I suppose I might bring the issue up with Fr. during my next confession!
"Forgive me Father for I've sinned!" What is it my son? "Guys on the forum tricked me into the purchase of yet another tool I'll use twice a year! Mea culpa!"

If anyone in Winston needs to take off their front tire, you know the go-to guy . . . or borrow hand power-tools. . . my girlfriend . . . . metric sockets . . . . extra kefir grains . . .
Always!
PS I've been toying with the idea of a 'heat-map' solution to this problem of tools.
An app or software interface that displays like video games do where the nearest tool is for borrowing or lending.
My dad used to say I embody the ideas of the latest book I read, just finished David Grebers Debt, "The First 5000 Years" Fantastic read, if you are into arcane knowledge.
Apparently the entire concept of debt was to transact value that could not be priced.

Cultures exist where the only 'pay' for marrying a woman was to have a sister marry into the opposite family.
Well, if I get to choose my brother-in-law I say bring it all back!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Mark 鈥 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
the back end of lots of common sparkplug sockets
I did that for my F800 with an unused spark plug socket, although had to grind back the flats a little. I also sawed off the socket tube for compactness.

Of course with the LC the tool is not required, notwithstanding the internal hex on the axle; the axle doesn鈥檛 actually screw into anything. It is clamped firmly in place by the fork legs rather than screwing into the opposite side leg.

Registered
I did that for my F800 with an unused spark plug socket, although had to grind back the flats a little. I also sawed off the socket tube for compactness.
A friend cut my spark plug socket down making it smaller to carry on trips.
axle tool 2.JPG

Reactions: Panzermann

Registered
Thanks all! I ordered the tool - waiting to see come tax season how it affects my carbon-credits馃! What was it Nassim Taleb said about being an asshole to talk-show hosts?
Something to the effect that when he feels guilty he just donates to charity? Being Catholic I suppose I might bring the issue up with Fr. during my next confession!
"Forgive me Father for I've sinned!" What is it my son? "Guys on the forum tricked me into the purchase of yet another tool I'll use twice a year! Mea culpa!"

If anyone in Winston needs to take off their front tire, you know the go-to guy . . . or borrow hand power-tools. . . my girlfriend . . . . metric sockets . . . . extra kefir grains . . .
Always!
PS I've been toying with the idea of a 'heat-map' solution to this problem of tools.
An app or software interface that displays like video games do where the nearest tool is for borrowing or lending.
My dad used to say I embody the ideas of the latest book I read, just finished David Grebers Debt, "The First 5000 Years" Fantastic read, if you are into arcane knowledge.
Apparently the entire concept of debt was to transact value that could not be priced.

Cultures exist where the only 'pay' for marrying a woman was to have a sister marry into the opposite family.
Well, if I get to choose my brother-in-law I say bring it all back!:LOL::ROFLMAO:
If you're Catholic, wouldn't planning to donate just to assuage a sense of guilt be the equivalent of the sin of assumption?

I sometimes wonder how much time the people making up terms like "carbon credit" spend worrying about the impact of one socket, as much time as they spend on a private jet to Davos every year?

All my sockets (hundreds? Thousands?) together probably don't account for the carbon from one private jet to Davos carrying just one person (besides the crew) telling me to consume less. Just a thought.

I spotted one of these on the roadway a while back, near one of our local bike shops. Knowing exactly what it was, I picked it up and went to the shop to ask if they were missing one. Sure enough, they'd fitted a set of tyres to a GS that morning and the mechanic had forgotten to remove it from the axle.

Reactions: Lee F

Registered
I spotted one of these on the roadway a while back, near one of our local bike shops. Knowing exactly what it was, I picked it up and went to the shop to ask if they were missing one. Sure enough, they'd fitted a set of tyres to a GS that morning and the mechanic had forgotten to remove it from the axle.

View attachment 109954
the kind of thing that encourages me to DIY.

Registered

Of course with the LC the tool is not required, notwithstanding the internal hex on the axle; the axle doesn鈥檛 actually screw into anything. It is clamped firmly in place by the fork legs rather than screwing into the opposite side leg.
Yes, agreed. But I find it makes it easier to twist the axle a bit to pull it out.

I must鈥檝e had the front wheel off my F800GS dozens of times, but damned if I can remember how it worked. Of course, I can鈥榯 remember what I had for breakfast either. :unsure:

Registered
IMHO, there's also the mental 'comfort' when undertaking a job in knowing the right tool is ready and waiting to do the job quickly and safely. There's no guarantee the tool rental shop will be open and available, or you'll have the time when you need the tool.
I know what you mean by this. I bought a 34 mm socket to turn the crank pulley for replacing the alternator belt. At a service interval of 24K miles for the belt replacement, it means that socket (which I am pretty sure has no use to me for any other task) won't be on a ratchet again for three to four years, most likely. Nevertheless, I'm happy to know that it is sitting there in the toolbox, ready to go. (And the strip of plastic milk bottle is in there as well for the same job.)

Nevertheless, I'm happy to know that it is sitting there in the toolbox, ready to go. (And the strip of plastic milk bottle is in there as well for the same job.)
And your offspring will appreciate greatly it being part of their inheritance ...

I have one of these Wunderlich multitools front wheel 22mm axle socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dbyker
1 - 20 of 31 Posts