BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have heard different opinions on this.....if so, for how long....if not, why not.......thanks all.

Paul

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Owners manual says, start up and ride away. No warm up. I follow this directive, generally; however, if the temps are in the teens and the bike sits overnight, i have found that the engine is very rough for a minute or two before the synth oil heats up and covers the parts that need lubricating.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
In very cold weather, I'd be more concerned about the tires warming up for a few minutes, so I'm extra careful initially.

I do the same as DJ, start it up, then put on my gloves and helmet while it's running. In very cold weather, I think it's stalled once using that technique.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Right about the cold tires. Scrubbing cold tires to warm them up after riding off whenever after start up one does so is a safety must; but riding off on start up without idling the engine first warms up cold oil faster and provides better lube than if one lets the engine idle for any length of time after a cold start. Heinz had a reason for writing the words "start up and ride off" in the boxer's rider's manual. I can't think of a good reason to disregard the instruction on most days. All that said, I would think that taking the short time needed to put on gloves and helmet before riding off is within the spirit of Heinz' instruction.
I am curious to know- where do you guys have your helmets when you are mounting your bikes if not on your heads?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Like most have said I let my bike idle while I put on my gloves and helmet. For the first 5 miles (weather and temp dependent) I take corners with little leaning and I don't thrash the engine either until engine and tires are warmed up.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Right about the cold tires. Scrubbing cold tires to warm them up after riding off whenever after start up one does so is a safety must; but riding off on start up without idling the engine first warms up cold oil faster and provides better lube than if one lets the engine idle for any length of time after a cold start. Heinz had a reason for writing the words "start up and ride off" in the boxer's rider's manual. I can't think of a good reason to disregard the instruction on most days. All that said, I would think that taking the short time needed to put on gloves and helmet before riding off is within the spirit of Heinz' instruction.
I am curious to know- where do you guys have your helmets when you are mounting your bikes if not on your heads?
I don't know about others, but my helmet is on my head when I get on the bike...it's the gloves that aren't on yet.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
+1 on LAS

Also, when it's cold it seems the bikes joints and linkages and shocks need to warm up, as do the tires as mentioned. That seems to take 15 minutes or so.
Or maybe it's me that needs to warm the old bones.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Got it, I think. Fledged and Dr. Dave if I have it right, you start up your motors before you mount your bikes, put on helmets and gloves and then climb aboard with the engine already running. That possibility never crossed my mind when I was trying to figure out how you could start up and let your bikes idle while putting on helmets and gloves. If it works for you, great. It just wouldn't feel safe for me to do that? I want to be sitting on my bike with hands on brake and clutch levers, right foot on rear brake, when I push the start button just like they teach at MSF courses.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I always get ready before I turned the bike on, I storage the bike on a heated garage, so I haven't experience the super cold star ups.

I imagine that is better for the engine to be straight up, and that's why they advice to just start and ride, if your bike is on the centerstand, it would be similar then riding.

Still, I don't think you need to warm up at all. :2cents:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts