BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Administrator
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the last several months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform - Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience. Your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

·
Administrator
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (I was born with the hiccups.) so yes, I have been Cricket for 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas. I spend most of my time off out in nature and exploring the back roads. During late autumn when it starts to finally cool down, I disappear from the world for a bit for camping trips and hiking.

Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!
I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) to the site which are largely based on community feedback so we absolutely want to hear your feedback!

I have worked with VerticalScope for 5 years but I have worked with forum communities for closer to two decades. I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

·
Registered
531 Posts
It would be nice to be able to mark the entire site as read rather than have to access each sub-page and do it for each sub-forum. Or am I just missing the button?

·
Administrator
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be nice to be able to mark the entire site as read rather than have to access each sub-page and do it for each sub-forum. Or am I just missing the button?
How To Mark Forums Read

If you want to mark a specific forum as read, navigate to that forum. At the top you will see a button to “Mark All Read.

If you want to mark all threads in the community as read, click on NEW near the upper right-hand corners of the site.

Click on Mark All Read.

You will then see a popup confirming that this is what you want to do. Click “Mark All Read”.

- Cricket

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the last several months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform - Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience. Your feedback is important to us.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
When I first saw this notification this morning, my heart sank into my riding boots and I almost choked on my cornflakes! 'Why is it so?" I hear you all cry.

Well, the new look very closely resembles the BMW R9T Forum, also owned by the same Verticalscope mob. I joined that Forum earlier this year on acquiring my new-to-me R9T, and very quickly became totally disillusioned with it. It was poorly organised and structured, hard to navigate, and illogical in many respects. 'Clunky' would also be a good word. And although not a fault of the Forum hardware, I found one at least of the immoderate Moderators to be highly intrusive, often treating members as if they were recalcitrant school-kids, and moving members' posts around in an arbitrary manner if their location didn't suit him. Drunk with power, I reckon. Moderators, IMHO, should be like Victorian children - seen but not heard from, except rarely.

Another source of dissatisfaction from many members was the fact the R9T forum did not allow links to be posted to items being advertised on E Bay, that prolific source of all things motorcycling. I imagine that many folks may turn Fora like this to investigate parts, accessories, and the like, and banning such links seemed to many to be unhelpful and self-serving on the part of the Forum owners. I was given to understand that the reason was that E Bay would not pay commissions on such purchases - again, self-serving and counter to what these Fora are supposed to be all about. I hope such a policy doesn't spill over to this R1200 R resource..

And it was all so sombre too, with as much lightheartedness and humour as a mother-in-laws convention. I'm not saying that these Fora should be a gig for a stand-up comedian with a pocketful of dog and/ or cat jokes, but c'mon - lighten up, R9Ters!

I took issue with a number of such functional matters and was accused of being rude - I was certainly forceful and to-the-point, but also like to think that my critiques were aimed at some improvements. Some others agreed with my observations, and to be fair some didn't.

But I'm not now here to shaft Verticalscope, for they say they have improved the functionality of this R1200 R Forum, although time will tell. Let us hope so, for if not, as with the R9T Forum, I'll be outta here!

·
Super Moderator
5,003 Posts
Our moderators are the best on the planet, Lawrence - you hardly hear a peep out of me ...

·
Super Moderator
5,003 Posts
Congrats on getting the new look site running. It’ll take a bit of getting used to, but already I can see advantages.

One thing I haven’t yet worked out though. On the earlier version, there was an option to show the latest post at the top of the page rather than the bottom. Is this still available?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Congrats on getting the new look site running. It’ll take a bit of getting used to, but already I can see advantages.

One thing I haven’t yet worked out though. On the earlier version, there was an option to show the latest post at the top of the page rather than the bottom. Is this still available?

This is yet another shortcoming as experienced on the sister R9T Forum: click on 'new' in the topmost horizontal bar and you'll get a lot of posts but none that are actually new, as Pz alludes to above..

·
Super Moderator
5,003 Posts
My reference was to the displayed posts within a thread, Lawrence.

When you click on New, it will display the latest posts. At top left is a Filter drop-down, which gives you the option of displaying only unread posts. I believe this addresses the point you raised.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Not sure I like the new format but I'm sure I will get used to it but as panzermann I would like to have the newest post at the top and not the bottom so I don't have to trawl through everything to get to the sharp end. Is there a fix for this or are we stuck with this format?

·
Administrator
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure I like the new format but I'm sure I will get used to it but as panzermann I would like to have the newest post at the top and not the bottom so I don't have to trawl through everything to get to the sharp end. Is there a fix for this or are we stuck with this format?
We have submitted feedback to the developers regarding some members preferring to reverse the order of the posts within a thread.

In the meantime, each post does have a link to Jump To The Latest (most recent) posts.

The following may take a day or two to work properly unless you have marked all threads as read.

Navigating Thread Listing

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.
- Cricket

·
Administrator
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is yet another shortcoming as experienced on the sister R9T Forum: click on 'new' in the topmost horizontal bar and you'll get a lot of posts but none that are actually new, as Pz alludes to above..
The NEW icon, by default, is all new unread posts.

How To Find New Posts

Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts.

On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics. You can also mark all as read.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How To Find Subscribed Threads

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
In order of priority, I hope for the following to be re-instated from the "old" site:

1) pin each Member's location back into their avatar information.
2) have the signature show automatically and not with information limitations.
3) bring back emojis.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
In order of priority, I hope for the following to be re-instated from the "old" site:

1) pin each Member's location back into their avatar information.
2) have the signature show automatically and not with information limitations.
3) bring back emojis.

Thanks.
It would be much preferable if they had left well alone!!!

·
Administrator
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pin each Member's location back into their avatar information.

I will definitely pass on your feedback tot he developers.

In the meantime, you can view the location (provided they have added it t their profile) by hovering over their avatar or flag.

have the signature show automatically and not with information limitations.
This is a setting in your preferences.

How To Create A Signature

Your signature can include up to 4 lines, a maximum of 1000 characters and one link. An image counts as a line. Anytime you hit "enter" on your keyboard, it will automatically go to a new line. Images will automatically be resized to 300 x 200 pixels. You can see more options in your settings to collapse signatures, always view full signature, or to not see signatures at all. The choice is yours.

Both guests and members can view signatures.

If a user has their preferences set to the default they will see collapsed signatures as in the example below for them. (They can click to see more.)

If a user has their preferences set to always show expanded signatures it will look like the example below for them. Your image can be clicked to view full size.

If you want to adjust your preferences for signatures you can click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select account settings.

In the left side navigation, you will see an option for preferences. Click it.

Scroll down to content options and select your signature preferences.

bring back emojis.
We currently use standard UTF-8 smilies. This helps greatly in keeping things fast loading and standardized across device types. We no longer run custom GIF files for every single smile which is terrible for web performance, and fast-loading websites.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would be much preferable if they had left well alone!!!
We understand that there are some inherent changes in moving from vBulletin to Xenforo. However, vBulletin’s infrastructure does not provide the flexibility to be able to provide additional improvements. Continuing on that platform without the ability to maintain a better experience for all of you is just not an option moving forward. We know you expect and deserve continuous improvements over time.

In the past, we have upgraded more slowly. Unfortunately, this became technically difficult and often times would break other features when updates were attempted. Making the bigger investment now in the new platform sets us up to respond faster to your feedback moving forward.

Your security and data are extremely important to us. Modern software and upgrading systems are critical to keep us advanced in providing a better and more secure experience for you to share content. Not updating the software would have made that increasingly difficult over time as other technology advances.

- Cricket

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dear Community Members,

New Homepage Experience

Search

Easy to Use and Navigate

Dark Mode

Save Bookmarks

Dear Community Members,

No one should have to wait for information. Th

Thank you all for your support during this a

In the meantime, you can view the location (provided they have added it t their profile) by hovering over their avatar or flag.
View attachment 107040

Your signature can include up to 4 lines, a maximum of 1000 characters and one link. An image counts as a line. Anytime you hit "enter" on your keyboard, it will automatically go to a new line. Images will automatically be resized to 300 x 200 pixels. You can see more options in your settings to collapse signatures, always view full signature, or to not see signatures at all. The choice is yours.

If a user has their preferences set to the default they will see collapsed signatures as in the example below for them. (They can click to see more.)

If a user has their preferences set to always show expanded signatures it will look like the example below for them. Your image can be clicked to view full size.

If you want to adjust your preferences for signatures you can click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select account settings.

View attachment 107040

We currently use standard UTF-8 smilies. This helps greatly in keeping things fast loading and standardized across device types. We no longer run custom GIF files for every single smile which is terrible for web performance, and fast-loading websites.

- Cricket

- Cricket
I can’t get rid of the Cookie message (attached) when using an iPhone. It’s impossible to scroll down and press whatever.

plus, how do you stop automatically quoting the entire message when replying?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts