BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I can’t get rid of the Cookie message (attached) when using an iPhone. It’s impossible to scroll down and press whatever.

plus, how do you stop automatically quoting the entire message when replying?
You should only get that message once unless you are clearing cookies when you log out of the site. Does the bottom scroll up as you respond to each approval?

The added Notes at the bottom of this tutorial will help with your question about quoting specific parts of a message.

How To Quote

When you see a post that you want to quote, click the reply button on that post. It will automatically add the quoted content to the content area where you can add your reply/comments following the code.

How To Multi-Quote

Step 1
: Click the multi-quote icon at the bottom of each post that you want to quote.

Step 2: Scroll down to the text editor where you are going to write your post. Click "Insert Quotes".

Step 3: A small window will pop up for you to verify (or delete) quoted content that will be added to your post. Click "Quote messages".

Final Step: The quoted content will automatically be added to the text editor.

Add your comments and click to post your reply.

Added Notes: You can multi-quote from more than one discussion thread in the forum. You can also simply highlight the part of the text you want to quote. A small popup will allow you to choose the multi-quote option using just the selected content.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
In the meantime, you can view the location (provided they have added it t their profile) by hovering over their avatar or flag.
FYI, I can retrieve Poster's stats, including their location, by hovering over their USER NAME and avatar pic, not their "flag".

Thought to mention that detail in case it really matters to the developers; no biggie for me though.

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I see location by hovering over the flag as well, but only the location. The additional information is available over their avatar or username.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’ve never been able to edit (update) a Showroom. Is there any way to do so in the new site?
These are the member instructions. (Or, are you asking from a mod perspective?)

How To Edit Showcase

To edit a Showcase, click on your Avatar in the top right-hand corner and select “My Showcase”

Click on the title or image of the Showcase that you want to edit. Scroll to the bottom, and above comments you will see the Share options and a three-dot menu icon. Click the 3 vertical dots.

From the drop-down menu that opens, select “Edit item”.

From here, you will be brought to the editor used to create the Showcase. Make changes or add content as needed. Before clicking “Save” at the bottom, you may add a checkmark to post as an update if you are working on an ongoing Showcase, such as might be the case for projects, to alert your followers.

If you want to change the cover photo, click the 3 vertical dots again.

From the drop-down menu that opens, select “Set cover image”.

A popup will display the images within your showcase.

Click to add a dot to the one you want as the cover and click save.

- Cricket

·
Registered
109 Posts
You should only get that message once unless you are clearing cookies when you log out of the site. Does the bottom scroll up as you respond to each approval?

The added Notes at the bottom of this tutorial will help with your question about quoting specific parts of a message.

How To Quote

When you see a post that you want to quote, click the reply button on that post. It will automatically add the quoted content to the content area where you can add your reply/comments following the code.

How To Multi-Quote

Step 1
: Click the multi-quote icon at the bottom of each post that you want to quote.

Step 2: Scroll down to the text editor where you are going to write your post. Click "Insert Quotes".

Step 3: A small window will pop up for you to verify (or delete) quoted content that will be added to your post. Click "Quote messages".

Final Step: The quoted content will automatically be added to the text editor.

Add your comments and click to post your reply.

Added Notes: You can multi-quote from more than one discussion thread in the forum. You can also simply highlight the part of the text you want to quote. A small popup will allow you to choose the multi-quote option using just the selected content.

- Cricket
Hi,

That’s the problem. The bottom does not scroll up if I click Yes or No to each selection.

This effectively means I can’t access the forum on my iPhone (7).

Ive tried logging out and turning off the device to no avail!

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi,

That’s the problem. The bottom does not scroll up if I click Yes or No to each selection.

This effectively means I can’t access the forum on my iPhone (7).

Ive tried logging out and turning off the device to no avail!
Which browser are you using on your phone? Is it fully updated?

- Cricket

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts
The new look provides a great opportunity for members to update their profile (About) to show their location and bike model.

Both of these attributes provide very useful context for posts.

On behalf of the Moderators, I strongly urge all to attend to this - it only takes a moment.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
.. I simply cannot follow the logic or function of the 'NEW' icon (top right of this page) or indeed the 'Popular' heading. All I wish to do is, as on the 'old' Forum, access new posts each day. When I have posted something, it doesn't seem to appear in 'NEW' (and I may, on reflection and mulling it over wish to add or edit something), and I see no logic in the 'Popular' topic heading either. (A few seconds later - this specific post has now appeared under 'Popular', but not 'NEW'). How can something be popular before it is new? Someone please explain, using words suited to an eight-year old! Again - all I wish is to go directly to new unread-by-me posts and be able to read them...

·
Registered
487 Posts
1. Are you sure you’re logged in? That threw me at first.

2. I suspect the “new” page doesn’t auto update. So, if you went to NEW, marked all read, opened one, added to it, then hit NEW again, I’d expect it would appear. However, if you update the topic without first marking all read and just refreshed the page, maybe nothing would change...or the code looks for an event to occur (X time or something that counts as logging out then logging back in). I may go test this in a moment.

3. “Popular” usually means X views in a period of time or X replies in a period of time. Doesn’t have to have new posts to be popular and new posts doesn’t always make a topic qualify for the popular designation.

4. Pantone doesn’t have a color for “stupid.” :whistle:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Okay....

The “NEW” button imposes a filter for “unread” topics. If you were the last to post, it remains “read” to you. A topic would need someone else to add to it before it would be flagged as “unread.” So, “new to you.”

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
In other words, unnecessarily complicated and totally illogical. Are we all supposed to be computer-savvy...??? But thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
In other words, unnecessarily complicated and totally illogical. Are we all supposed to be computer-savvy...??? But thank you.
I guess that where we are at with technology and apps. I gave up years ago trying to spend too much time trying to understand IT systems and apps in an analytical & logical manner. The best anyone can hope for is to make systems work themselves. For someone like myself with several screens and app running concurrently on my desk, and with all the distractions of my iPhone/iPad; I juggle everything as a workaround or accept it's a busted-ar$e. But then again, I have the attention span of a flea. I don't care to know how things work as long as I can make them work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Hit NEW and new posts since your last visit will be there, sorta. To tell the site that's what you want the NEW button to do you have to click "mark all as read" before you leave. When you come back only new posts since your last visit will be there

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts
If logged in, the New icon will appear. This has the same functionality as the old site with which you are completely familiar, @Lawrence of Suburbia.
What seems to be different is that there is a Filters drop-down. Hit that and you will see options as to what is displayed. Untick the default Unread discussions and you will see those you have read (like the old site) including that which you have just posted.

Now, which Pantone colour is that? 😉

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I guess that where we are at with technology and apps. I gave up years ago trying to spend too much time trying to understand IT systems and apps in an analytical & logical manner. The best anyone can hope for is to make systems work themselves. For someone like myself with several screens and app running concurrently on my desk, and with all the distractions of my iPhone/iPad; I juggle everything as a workaround or accept it's a busted-ar$e. But then again, I have the attention span of a flea. I don't care to know how things work as long as I can make them work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow! - mikeS! With all that going on at your desk it's very surprising that you manage to drag yourself away at times to faraway places for a quick snack! Or three... Thanks!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts