BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if somebody else has the same warning, although I doubt any other dealer is as incompetent as mine. They couldn't reset the damn thing, installed the battery BACKWARDS, stretching the crap out of the cables (especially the negative), both grommets from the battery cover were missing, and the protective (red) cap for the jump terminal missing too. So basically, everything that they could screw up, they did. Oh, and the tires super low, so the TPMS warning came on a few miles later. I don't want them touching my bike ever again... if I can avoid it. Problem is closest next dealer is over 300 miles away, so not a service/warranty option. I'll do all my maintenance, as always, and hope there's never a need for warranty work.

So here is my issue. My next service is at 620 miles, or 1 year from when I bought the bike, so all is well there. BUT, I still have a service warning that has no information, so I have no idea what the heck it's for. Have any of you had the same warning, so you could provide some info? Thank you. But I imagine any competent dealer will reset it before delivering the bike, so not expecting any replies :). Anyway, my guess is for the brake fluid change, since it's the only service by time, not mileage. Manual says to change it initially at 1 year, then every 2. I'll change it when I do the initial oil change soon. I want to trailer the bike to the Hill Country, where I'd probably put like 1K miles, so my plan it to ride it to the nearest mountain (Cloudcroft), put around 400 miles on the clock, and then change the oil a little early (and do the brake fluid too), to have it ready for the HC trip. I'll continue to adhere (more or less) to break-in until the 620-mile mark, of course.

Finally, since I don't want to visit dealer again (plus it's pretty far away), I'm going to buy the GS911 tool. I was looking for a used one, but there are NONE, so I guess they're hard to come by. So will have to spring for a new one. I think it's a no-brainer to buy the WiFi one, since you can carry it with you. Since our bikes can just shut down circuits, leaving you stranded, it's imperative to have one of those on board, especially if you travel in the middle of nowhere at times, like I do. So will look for a used one, one more day, and if nothing, then just buy one. Talked to Ted at BeemerShop, and he was great. Might have trouble setting up the tool initially, but once I know what to do, it shouldn't be a problem again. We'll see. Ha ha.

·
Registered
768 Posts
1. Escalate your experience to BMW. A shop that incompetent should not be in business…or incompetent techs should be fired.

2. The WiFI GS-911 is the current model, but it needs a USB cable connection to let you change anything. The WiFi feature lets you see what errors are reported in the field. The software for your PC is free to download and the unit should include a USB cable.

3. The back of your owners manual tells you what needs doing and when. Service alerts are set by miles and time (whichever happens first). BMW recommends service every 6,000 miles or 12 months. While in warranty, you can stick closely to their recommendations for what to service and when. After the warranty, it wont matter if you keep it realistic (I won’t stop mid trip for an oil change…never had it pose a mechanical issue).

·
Registered
386 Posts
2. The WiFI GS-911 is the current model, but it needs a USB cable connection to let you change anything. The WiFi feature lets you see what errors are reported in the field. The software for your PC is free to download and the unit should include a USB cable.
I thought the first year I had my wifi I reset the service reminded without being connected to a laptop.
That was 2016 and my memory is not the best :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
, installed the battery BACKWARDS, stretching the crap out of the cables (especially the negative), both grommets from the battery cover were missing, and the protective (red) cap for the jump terminal missing too..
I wonder why they had the battery out? I thought the battery was in place when leaving the factory.

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
66 Posts
I wonder why they had the battery out? I thought the battery was in place when leaving the factory.
Hey guys, just wondering if somebody else has the same warning, although I doubt any other dealer is as incompetent as mine. They couldn't reset the damn thing, installed the battery BACKWARDS, stretching the crap out of the cables (especially the negative), both grommets from the battery cover were missing, and the protective (red) cap for the jump terminal missing too. So basically, everything that they could screw up, they did. Oh, and the tires super low, so the TPMS warning came on a few miles later. I don't want them touching my bike ever again... if I can avoid it. Problem is closest next dealer is over 300 miles away, so not a service/warranty option. I'll do all my maintenance, as always, and hope there's never a need for warranty work.

So here is my issue. My next service is at 620 miles, or 1 year from when I bought the bike, so all is well there. BUT, I still have a service warning that has no information, so I have no idea what the heck it's for. Have any of you had the same warning, so you could provide some info? Thank you. But I imagine any competent dealer will reset it before delivering the bike, so not expecting any replies :). Anyway, my guess is for the brake fluid change, since it's the only service by time, not mileage. Manual says to change it initially at 1 year, then every 2. I'll change it when I do the initial oil change soon. I want to trailer the bike to the Hill Country, where I'd probably put like 1K miles, so my plan it to ride it to the nearest mountain (Cloudcroft), put around 400 miles on the clock, and then change the oil a little early (and do the brake fluid too), to have it ready for the HC trip. I'll continue to adhere (more or less) to break-in until the 620-mile mark, of course.

Finally, since I don't want to visit dealer again (plus it's pretty far away), I'm going to buy the GS911 tool. I was looking for a used one, but there are NONE, so I guess they're hard to come by. So will have to spring for a new one. I think it's a no-brainer to buy the WiFi one, since you can carry it with you. Since our bikes can just shut down circuits, leaving you stranded, it's imperative to have one of those on board, especially if you travel in the middle of nowhere at times, like I do. So will look for a used one, one more day, and if nothing, then just buy one. Talked to Ted at BeemerShop, and he was great. Might have trouble setting up the tool initially, but once I know what to do, it shouldn't be a problem again. We'll see. Ha ha.
Hi JC. It sounds like your bike is new last years stock, hence the deal you got, and I can only assume they started the bike electrical system up at some point after it was delivered to them last year and that could now be a year ago even though you have only just taken delivery and are going through the break-in stage to get to the 620 mile mark. They obviously didn't reset it as you say to start from when you purchased the bike.

As for home servicing and reset, I don't know the GS911 other than it gets very good reviews and is expensive, I have the cheaper OBD Link and It hooks up just fine and does all that is necessary as follows Performing scheduled maintenance

Regards, Pete.

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
149 Posts

Please let us know what dealer it was, so that we can avoid.​
The only meaningful warnings on my 2020 R1250R ride came-up multiple times for low battery in keyless fob. Didn't go away even after I changed multiple batteries - I usually have some laying around the house. Solved by buying a fresh set of Panasonic branded batteries and installing in the key. Once a service warning came-up in the middle of a ride, and just showed an amber warning light on the right side of the TFT, no messages on the screen. I stopped, looked for information in the "My Vehicle" menu - nothing. Turned off the bike, left it alone for a few minutes, turned the bike back-on - warning light went away.​

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
66 Posts
Hi JC. It sounds like your bike is new last years stock, hence the deal you got, and I can only assume they started the bike electrical system up at some point after it was delivered to them last year and that could now be a year ago even though you have only just taken delivery and are going through the break-in stage to get to the 620 mile mark. They obviously didn't reset it as you say to start from when you purchased the bike.

As for home servicing and reset, I don't know the GS911 other than it gets very good reviews and is expensive, I have the cheaper OBD Link and It hooks up just fine and does all that is necessary as follows Performing scheduled maintenance

Regards, Pete.
Sorry, when you hit the link above, scroll to #10 for the OBD Link Item I did......

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. Escalate your experience to BMW. A shop that incompetent should not be in business…or incompetent techs should be fired.
3. BMW recommends service every 6,000 miles or 12 months.
On 1, dealer might deserve that, but it wouldn't do me any good, so not going to do that. They told me their tech (apparently there's only 1 who works with BMWs) wasn't there on Saturday, when I got delivery of my bike. But yes, whoever was the other tech, I'd fire him instantly. His blatant lack of common sense cannot be trained out.
On 2, that's not what Ted at BeemerShop said. You just have to be connected to your home's WiFi. I understand the process to do that is quite convoluted, but I'm sure I should be able to get it done... but not looking forward to that. Ha ha.
On 3, I always change the oil at 5K miles tops, so no issues there. But yes, I wouldn't go past 6K during warranty. And will probably do the first oil change at less than 600 as well, to have it ready for a trip to the Hill Country.

I thought the first year I had my wifi I reset the service reminded without being connected to a laptop.
That sounds correct. You just need your smart phone connected to your home's Wi-Fi. What I have trouble understanding is I thought you could only connect to ONE Wi-Fi at a time, not 2. So not sure how you achieve that, since the phone also needs to be connected to the GS911. Hopefully somebody can answer that before I order one :).

The bikes never arrive with batteries connected... but they're in their place; just disconnected. In our case, since the battery is AGM, they're already 'activated'. Not sure how they look on a new bike (I'm curious now. Ha ha). All I know is dealer never charged it, and it was over 2 years old. So no way it's good, even when it charges green. It turns to yellow overnight, so I don't trust it. At least dealer agreed to finally replace it, and I'm waiting for it. But I won't take my bike there. Ha ha.

Hi JC. It sounds like your bike is new last years stock
Actually 2+ (build date is 06/19). I asked salesman, and he said 800 days old, so over 2 years old. Not sure what the deal is, but reportedly it was never started before. And I believe that, since the header pipes looked new, and it had no gas. But who knows.

Back to the 911GS issue. What I like about that is the ability to do service procedures, like activating the ABS pump. Can you do that with the other systems? I don't like paying $400 for that darn thing, but since I can't find a used one, and the way these bikes work (ECU can shut down circuits), it's imperative to have something you can use on the road, and the only GS911 that can do that is the Wi-Fi unit. With the other BT ones too, but how about service functions like the ABS pump? And if you buy a GS911 and only use 1 of its 10 VINs, how much can you sell it for in the future? Ted said transfer of ownership has no cost. And the WiFi unit can be upgraded to Pro, where the other one can't. So the amount of money wasted would be the difference between $400 and what you can sell it for. It's not such a bad deal if you look at it that way, no? My only concern is to make it work as Wi-Fi in my house, but you can always take the laptop to the garage too, if needed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's a bummer on having a sub-par dealer.

I recently picked up a 2017. I thought 2017+, you do not need the special tool but can just plug into the OBD port (with pretty much any decent OBD tool, I use veepeak on a bmw car). The plan was to use Motoscan that is supposed to be compatible with these bikes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one, but haven't tried it. Somebody said they don't connect to the bike. But even if they did, they cannot reset service warnings, so you need something like the GS911 for that. I'd like very much not having to spend 400 bucks, but I couldn't find anything comparable to the GS911, which can perform both diagnostic work on the road (check and clear codes), and service functions at home.

·
Registered
768 Posts
On 2, that's not what Ted at BeemerShop said. You just have to be connected to your home's WiFi. I understand the process to do that is quite convoluted, but I'm sure I should be able to get it done... but not looking forward to that. Ha ha.
That sounds correct. You just need your smart phone connected to your home's Wi-Fi. What I have trouble understanding is I thought you could only connect to ONE Wi-Fi at a time, not 2. So not sure how you achieve that, since the phone also needs to be connected to the GS911. Hopefully somebody can answer that before I order one :).
Interesting. I was under the understanding that the WiFi was so you could connect to the GS-911 via it's own local WiFi. Never tried to access the device over house WiFi. Using the USB cable was what I was told one did to adjust stuff on the bike. The unit having it's own WiFi was so you could use it in the field to retrieve error codes.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you have a BT or WiFi scan dongle, download MotoScan (android only, I think) and see if the app recognizes it. The plug on the follows OBD2 communications protocols, but the language is different - bmw has their own.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have one, but haven't tried it. Somebody said they don't connect to the bike. But even if they did, they cannot reset service warnings, so you need something like the GS911 for that. I'd like very much not having to spend 400 bucks, but I couldn't find anything comparable to the GS911, which can perform both diagnostic work on the road (check and clear codes), and service functions at home.
If you go the OBD Link route, then you will be wanting MotoScan – App für professionelle BMW Motorrad Diagnose Professional at 30 Euros or Ultimate at 50 Euros. Both do pretty much all you will need, including control units such as ABS. Check out the link for the various versions and functions available.

OBD Link LX is all you need to run the MotoScan app:-

Or get the MX+ Version of you might use it for vehicles other than the bike.

Lastly you will need an Android phone with Bluetooth to hook it all up.

Regards, Pete.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to search for instructions online first, as Ted took a full day to call me back... and that was to make a sale. Maybe you have to put the phone as a Wi-Fi hot-spot for the GS911, and you connect to your home network via regular Wi-Fi. Who knows, but want to make sure it'll work. To service bike on the road, you just choose 'D2D' mode (device to device), and then it'd show up as Wi-Fi on your phone, and then you just connect to it (hopefully. Ha ha).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lastly, you will need an Android phone with Bluetooth to hook it all up.
Hey, you should have started with that. Ha ha. I don't have one, so I'm screwed :(. Oh well. That'd have been much cheaper than the GS911. Is there any other choice like the one you posted, but with iOS support?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh well. Guess will have to order the GS911 then. Just checked the classifieds, and none for sale. Just hope it's not a nightmare to make it work, because I don't think they have tech support. Will ask Ted before buying it. Thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey, you should have started with that. Ha ha. I don't have one, so I'm screwed :(. Oh well. That'd have been much cheaper than the GS911. Is there any other choice like the one you posted, but with iOS support?
Hi JC - a new Bluetooth android phone, or even a used one as I did, just for the purpose of using with the OBD is still a cheaper option. Like you, I would have preferred iOS compatibility but I have not found anything out there.........

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the earlier yellow GS-911 (USB cable connected) and have used it for over a dozen routine services, my 1200GS first then my R1200R and reset the service light for a couple of mates, plus diagnosed a faulty side stand switch, found blown lights and exercised the ABS during fluid changes. The $400 cost has been saved many times over, so highly recommended.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and exercised the ABS during fluid changes.
Hey, I was going to start a new thread exactly about that, so no need now. Ha ha. Can you please tell me how exactly you do the ABS pump activation during bleeding? My GS-911 Wi-Fi is on the way now, and will bleed the brakes very soon, along with the first oil change, and want to do it by the book, even though it might not be necessary with 300+ miles... but the bike is already over 2 years old from its build date, so it might benefit from that extra step. At any rate, I have these 3 questions:
1. At which point you activate the pump? At the beginning of the job, or once you had clear/new brake fluid in the system by normal bleeding first?
2. And what is the EXACT procedure to do that? Do you activate the pump first, then open the bleed valve, then close it when your reservoir gets to the 'min' mark, then deactivate the pump? If a different sequence, please explain it in detail. And did you do that just once for the front and once for the rear, or more times?
3. Do you need a special (large) reservoir on top of the master cylinder when you cycle the ABS pump? Hopefully not, because I wouldn't trust it to not topple over. I use one for my 4-wheel vehicles, but it wouldn't fit on the bike. Thank you for your help

Finally, I'm attaching a pic of the service warning I'm talking about, as well as the regular service which should be the only one present, since the bike is new.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts