BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Age I think has finally caught up with me. I experienced problems in both legs the last couple of years. Last year my left leg had a sciatica problem that caused debilitating pain in my left thigh. After a few months, the pain was gone. Then just a couple of months ago I experienced severe pain in my right leg. Thought it was sciatica again, but doctor at urgent care was pretty sure the pain was caused by irritation of the IT band. CBD gummies had that pain gone in a couple of weeks. I thought about giving up riding all together, but I have a buddy that has been riding Can-Am Spyders for years. So I went to my local Can-Am dealer to just talk. They are also a BMW dealer. Short story, they offered me $9k for my 2016 R1200R and discounted the Spyder F3-T that I liked $2,500. I now have a Liquid Titanium F3-T sitting in the garage.

I don't have any personal pictures of it yet as the weather has not been cooperative, but here is a stock photo.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
Congratulations on "graduating" to a Can-Am Pete! We're all headed in the same direction, some of us just getting there sooner than others. Takes honesty & courage to 'call the ball' when the time comes. You don't have to be a stranger here.

Best! Dave

·
Registered
784 Posts
Age I think has finally caught up with me. I experienced problems in both legs the last couple of years. Last year my left leg had a sciatica problem that caused debilitating pain in my left thigh. After a few months, the pain was gone. Then just a couple of months ago I experienced severe pain in my right leg. Thought it was sciatica again, but doctor at urgent care was pretty sure the pain was caused by irritation of the IT band. CBD gummies had that pain gone in a couple of weeks. I thought about giving up riding all together, but I have a buddy that has been riding Can-Am Spyders for years. So I went to my local Can-Am dealer to just talk. They are also a BMW dealer. Short story, they offered me $9k for my 2016 R1200R and discounted the Spyder F3-T that I liked $2,500. I now have a Liquid Titanium F3-T sitting in the garage.

I don't have any personal pictures of it yet as the weather has not been cooperative, but here is a stock photo.

View attachment 113548
I was just up in your neighborhood and noticed a sea-change in the air... must 've been you, adding that to your stable. Let us know how you make that adjustment. And don't forget to send some of that precious rain a few hundred miles South!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used to ride around with a guy who had one and a friend who I see on 4 day rides has one...personally I wouldn't be caught dead on any 3 wheeled vehicle..well I wouldn't own one that's for sure...when my legs give out I'll get a sports car...I'm not saying "you" can't have a blast on one...different strokes for different folks...
as for bad backs..mine been bad for years and it doesn't take much to throw it out...fortunately physical rehab taught me good stretching exercises that pop that baby back in...I've been on the floor on many a motel room doing them after a bad road or pot hole...I use a CBD stick to apply it to my back if it gets bad...it also works for my arthritic hands and bug bites...

·
Registered
2017 R1200R
30 Posts
I completely understand your thought process and did much the same a few years back. Since they first came out, I've owned 3 Spyders, a GS, an RTS and an F-3L and enjoyed the heck out of them all. Then I discovered my 2017 R1200R and now it's my only bike. The Spyders served me well through the replacement of both knees and both hips, but they're not a replacement for a great 2-wheeler.

Eventually, I'll go back to a Spyder, as they're the best at what they do.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm also in the camp of a sports car instead of a 3-wheeler. To me the fun of a bike is leaning; without that, I'd much rather buy a fun manual sports car, like an S2000. I'm done with expensive sports cars I hardly use. I also don't enjoy slabbing on a bike at all, so will buy a Kendon single (ride-up) trailer next year.
Age caught up with me in a more sinister way, with a rare incurable cancer that prevented me from doing stuff I like for years (and draining my savings, due to stupid insurance not covering much)... and I'm still battling it after 7 years, but I'm catching a bit of a break, so bought the R1250R while I can still ride, in the middle of my 5th chemo :). I'll be glad to see 60 in Jan, but might not last long enough to see the other deteriorating crap... which would be perfectly fine with me. Ha ha. Hope to at least get to 65, and in good shape, but we'll see.

·
Registered
2011 R1200R
75 Posts
congrats on the new ride. you'll have to share your experience once you've put a few miles on it.

personally, i think if your butt's in a saddle, you share the same pleasure and pain whether you're on a bicycle, scooter, mc or 3 wheeler - and it will always be better than being in a car seat.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
Of course, the case CAN be made that a three-wheeler combines the practicality of a motorcycle with the joy of a car. Just Sayin'! ;)

Cheers! Dave (maybe not too far off myself)

Reactions: Pete In The 'Couv

·
Registered
255 Posts
My personal choice when the the time comes will be a sidecar, but whatever, good on you for recognizing the right time.

And the right time is when the pain surpasses the fun. Very simple - when you are no longer enjoying your hobby as presently defined - stop. Good call.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A bit of history about myself. I have been riding two wheels since the 1950's, bicycles, Vespas and motorcycles. I have owned 3 sports cars, a Triumph TR3, a Mazda Miata, and a Porsche Boxster. I have also owned a Camaro Z28. Bought the sports cars because my wife will not ride on the motorcycle. She would ride in the sports cars, but did not like it, so I went back to motorcycles. I absolutely love riding motorcycles. I came to realize a long time ago that it is not about the brand or type of bike you ride. It's about the fact that you are riding. I have riding friends that ride the full spectrum of motorcycles and that includes trikes, Spyders, and choppers.

Back in my younger days, you could not have paid me to ride a BMW boxer. They looked weird and were slow. Then in 2012 I test rode a R1200R and purchased a new one that same day. That 2012 and the 2016 I purchased later are in the list of the top 5 bikes I have owned.

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT | ‘19 C650GT
99 Posts
In preparing for “the day,” I bought a Porsche Cayman as a replacement for my motorcycles. But it never left my garage. Given the choice, I rode my bikes every chance I could and ignored the Porsche. Finally decided to sell it. Beautiful car but I don’t miss it one bit.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I stubbornly refuse to "prepare for the day"; I'm kinda like that. I suppose it's inevitable, but as long as my balance holds out, I am, for now, refusing to give in to the aches and pains in my joints. Luckily, I seem to have a fairly high tolerance for pain. At the tender age of 57, I ruptured my Achilles tendon and rode down to the hospital. I'd probably have ridden all the way home, but that was 800 km away 😂 Got royally reamed out by Nurse Ratched at the emerg desk for not calling an ambulance. Being a glass-half-full kinda guy, and only 72, I figure I still have a couple of bikes yet to buy. Maybe by the time I have to concede, my ratty old Subaru canoe-hauler will give up the ghost and I'll buy another car, maybe even one with no roof. Until then ........ 🖕arthritis, bursitis, and all the rest of the itises.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
Few things if any make me forget my problems & pains like riding.

You never see a motorbike parked at the shrink's office.

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: sturgeon

·
Registered
326 Posts
A bit of history about myself. Bought the sports cars because my wife will not ride on the motorcycle. She would ride in the sports cars, but did not like it, so I went back to motorcycles. I absolutely love riding motorcycles.
Hey, I could have wrote that myself. Ha ha. Exactly the same story. And my last sports car was also a Porsche, but a Cayman GTS instead (a 2016, the last of the N/A H6 engines). Too noisy and uncomfortable for my wife, so hardly used it, so sold it basically new a year+ later. If I'm going to ride alone, much rather be on a motorcycle, as well as having parked only 20 grand, and not 100.

In preparing for “the day,” I bought a Porsche Cayman as a replacement for my motorcycles. But it never left my garage. Given the choice, I rode my bikes every chance I could and ignored the Porsche. Finally decided to sell it. Beautiful car but I don’t miss it one bit.
Same exact story here, as stated above. It's much more exhilarating to ride a bike in the twisties than any car, especially alone, so zero regrets. That was my last sports car. Or at least the last expensive one. No more 100+ grand vehicles for me. I spent many times that on my freaking experimental chemos (still going), so can't justify it anymore. And don't miss it either. As long as I can ride a bike, I'm much happier with a bike :).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm also in the camp of a sports car instead of a 3-wheeler. To me the fun of a bike is leaning; without that, I'd much rather buy a fun manual sports car, like an S2000. I'm done with expensive sports cars I hardly use. I also don't enjoy slabbing on a bike at all, so will buy a Kendon single (ride-up) trailer next year.
Age caught up with me in a more sinister way, with a rare incurable cancer that prevented me from doing stuff I like for years (and draining my savings, due to stupid insurance not covering much)... and I'm still battling it after 7 years, but I'm catching a bit of a break, so bought the R1250R while I can still ride, in the middle of my 5th chemo :). I'll be glad to see 60 in Jan, but might not last long enough to see the other deteriorating crap... which would be perfectly fine with me. Ha ha. Hope to at least get to 65, and in good shape, but we'll see.
Good luck with that ElpTXjc. Cancer sucks. My wife worked at Dana Farber and I've heard many a story.
And re the fun manual sports car, I got bit by that bug too, but the bike won out.

- Michael

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts