BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure others have posted about this before.

I installed my Booster Plug last Friday and went on a 250 mile ride Saturday. Wow, what difference the Booster Plug made. Throttle response is much smoother. Low speed throttle changes are no longer either on or off. I no longer look like a novice when doing low speed maneuvers. For me the Booster Plug was definitely worth the cost.

Super easy to install. It took longer to raise the tank up (did not need to remove it) than it did to install the Plug.

The Booster Plug solved the single biggest problem with my R12R. No, I do not think that a failed fuel strip is a major issue.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
That's Great!! Glad you got the bike sorted out to suit you, and just in time for a great season of riding. Lots of others have reported the same result. Keep us posted with pics of your adventures, Pete. Now your friends watching your low speed maneuvers will start calling you
Ol' Smoothy.:clap:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
What is a booster plug? I'm a newbie .
I too, though not quite a newbie (more an oldie!) would like to know what a Booster Plug is. Where do you buy it? What does it cost? What does it do (presumably 'boost' - but what)? How is it installed? etc.

Thanks...

Lawrence of Suburbia

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming… that’s it!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the link to their home page.

BoosterPlug - Release the Power in your Motorcycle

As far as I could find, you can only purchase the device from them, unless you can find a used one. The price was 150 USD and that included shipping.

I am guessing that fuel mileage may suffer some because it does make the fuel/air mixture a little richer. That does not bother me. The bike runs so much better with it installed, a little extra fuel cost is worth it.

Should note that the Booster Plug will not boost anything like horsepower. It just makes throttle response much more liveable.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Thanks, guys - very interesting. The series of installation pix in the Google link certainly would be helpful to installing it, not that it seems hard - just fiddly, maybe.

I'd like to read other inputs here from Roadster owners before investing my $149, though.

L of S

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
I found my bmw f800s was terrible at coping with low speeds especially around town, it felt it wanted to cut out alot, once I installed a aftermarket pipe the issue went away. I wonder if this would be the case with the r1200r, though it would be alot cheaper to get a booster plug, and you may want no intention to get a aftermarket pipe.
Those booster plugs can be made alot cheaper than buying them, somewhere on the f800 website.....here it is..What's in a boosterplug? Also, comparison to Accelerator module - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I'd like to read other inputs here from Roadster owners before investing my $149, though. L of S
Quoting my own quote above!... but I am intrigued by this device, so I Googled 'booster plug on motorcycles'. Up came the Adv Riders (GS bikes) Forum, with heaps - probably well over a hundred - testimonials about the device, almost all 100% positive and supportive. Vendor support seems very good, and installation simple.

End of FY soon, so I may need to make another Bank withdrawal! - but I'm still intending to check-out my bike's current low-speed smoothness, etc., to ascertain whether there really is a need for improvement sufficient to spend $150 on it.

If there IS, I'll think very seriously about installing one of these units!

Lawrence of Suburbia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I have to say, I haven't noticed any of the issues for which people put in a Booster Plug. My '12 R Classic has smooth response, the clutch isn't snatchy, and depending upon the gear I'm in, there's more than enough boost to out run or out-pass anything on the road. Is there anything else I'm missing here, 'cause I would just as soon not be missing that 150 dollars :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Does anyone here have the Accelerator Module from Belgium? It's half the price of the booster plug and looks the same more or less. If so, any comments?
Also, would this type of device help when backing off the throttle to make less of a braking effect, or is that just the way the big twin is? I find it is possible to avoid the "snatchiness" when at low speed but it really takes finesse. And if it were on an off road bike like the GS I could see where it would be a real problem.
I would go for one of these to help smooth out the throttle response.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The name the vendor chose is unfortunate. The Booster Plug does not "boost" anything. What it does is tell the computer that the intake air temperature is colder that it really is. Because the computer knows that cooler air is denser than hotter it feeds a little more fuel to the injectors. I have a similar device installed on my 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic. It was installed at the recommendation of Guzzi tech support to fix a very lean condition after all other avenues had been tried. On neither the Guzzi or the R12R did I notice an increase in horsepower. With the Guzzi I have dyno runs that show there was no increase in horsepower. What I did notice was a significant improvement in the way the engine runs.

All of these spoofers that make the computer think the air intake temp is colder work the same. You can even make your own if you have the skills. From what I can find they all seem to work well.

As for placebo effect. Well, I don't think that you had a chance to ride my R12R either before or after the Booster Plug was installed. So you cannot really form an opinion. If the low speed thorttle response on your bike is fine, that is great. On my bike it was not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to say, I haven't noticed any of the issues for which people put in a Booster Plug. My '12 R Classic has smooth response, the clutch isn't snatchy, and depending upon the gear I'm in, there's more than enough boost to out run or out-pass anything on the road.
+1, though my '12 isn't a Classic.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Placebo effect. :)
Only because I can't buy it just yet, I'll agree with Mr. Websterize :001_tt2::001_tt2:

I almost pulled the trigger 3 years ago, and something else came right on top of my list, now every time I see something about it, I want it big time, then again, I remember that I haven't buy it in 3 years and I don't really need it.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The name the vendor chose is unfortunate. The Booster Plug does not "boost" anything.

You can even make your own if you have the skills. From what I can find they all seem to work well.

I wonder how many have bought the 'Booster Plug' - or its counterpart 'Accelerator Module' - on the assumption that it would turn a mild-mannered machine into a fire-breathing monster ideal for tearing-up the drag-racing strip!!

On a DIY approach: I called into my local emporium de ellectronollogical bits 'n pieces just now, and a thermistor of appropriate 56 Ohm spec is a mere $1.35 - this seems to be the key component.

I have a mate (at our local off-leash dog-park) who has a lifetime experience in the electronics-making industry, even having had his own biz at one time, so I'm going to show him the stuff on this site and see if we cannot make up a unit. A bit of fun if nothing else...!

Lawrence of Suburbia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts