BMW R1200R Forum banner

What are some appearance mods you've seen?

43K views 127 replies 41 participants last post by  Moderately Excessive 
#1 ·
I personally haven't seen too many R1200R decal kits, or radically different R1200s for that matter. The R1200R classic is a departure in a way from the standard bike. What have you guys done or seen to modify your R1200R?

#2 ·
some of the things I'd do to improve the R1200R appearance is find a way to black out the engine and exhaust pipes. After that I'd ditch the passenger grab rails and go for a fender eliminator in the rear to tidy up the tail. Then I'd probably get rid of the ugly mirrors and swap in a flat handlebar. Yeaaa...i think that would look pretty mean.

#5 ·
I'm starting to picture all of this in my head hahaha
Love that whole idea you got going on, now only if we can see a picture of an R1200R done up like this.

BTW what do you guys think about vinyl wrapping the R1200R? I seen car guys do it, shouldn't be any different to do it on a bike. I was thinking to do carbon fiber vinyl wrapping? Thoughts on this?

#4 ·
bike

hi
yesterday on the way to work in a fuel station i saw the 2011 model and the guy had a matt black screen , did look like the standard one ,did not get a really good look as his was just moving off ,it looked good . he also had a different end can on too ,think it said grp . sounded great.

#9 ·
web sites for goodies

hi eri
just had a look at wunderlich& sw motech.
some great goodies to be had , now i can delapidate my bank account for sure .
touratech do some bits and pieces for the 1200 motor.
i have just ordered a sump guard for my 1200 r same as the gs one , will feel a lot happier with that on , especially on stoney roads .might just have to paint it orange to go with the bike ....
rca ....:)

#10 ·
Inexpensive R1200R Appearance Mods

Wunderlich sells a final drive hub cover with little holes in a "tornado" pattern that looks great. It's $99. Just a farkle, but IMHO looks a bunch better than that empty hole in the middle of the rear hub. Check it out.
The Z-Technik carbon fiber tank pad and fuel cap protectors are also quality products and look great on my white bike. They'd look good on a gray (crystal or granite) bike too; I'm not so sure about a blue or red bike. The tank pad protects the rear of the tank from belt buckle scratches; the fuel cap cover is just a farkle, but makes a very nice match with the tank protector. Both are sufficiently small that they don't distract from the simple, clean styling of the bike itself.
Appearance is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. But these are at least worth looking at.

#11 ·
R1200 r Modifications.

Hi to all ,

I have a Cb1300 Super Four and am now going for a R1200 r.

Always wanted a Naked BMW but could afford one only now.

But I wouldn't like to keep it original. Got a pic from the net , can get most of

the items are available except for the under the engine scoop.

Anybodys help out there would be of great help.

Thanks a lot

Attachments

#15 ·
Hi to all ,

I have a Cb1300 Super Four and am now going for a R1200 r.

Always wanted a Naked BMW but could afford one only now.

But I wouldn't like to keep it original. Got a pic from the net , can get most of

the items are available except for the under the engine scoop.

Anybodys help out there would be of great help.

Thanks a lot
I have the oil cooler guard, it is from Wunderlich and is a nice strong metal piece that would protect your oil cooler, not just look the part.

#14 ·
I think, if I could only get my counterfeit money printing press working, I'd get the tank painted carbon fiber look, get a pair of BST carbon fiber wheels, replace the fenders with carbon fiber and throw in a pair of yellow Ohlins springs. So, for about 10k, I think I could live with that. . . :)

#16 ·
Before I purchased my R12R, I talked to a couple of high mileage R12R riders I met in Alturas, Ca on my way to Yosemite last year. They had just ridden up from LA and were heading back the next day. I asked them about the rear drive failures I had read about and they said that BMW found that the failures were caused by excessive heat build up in the rear drive unit. To help solve that problem BMW opened up the rear drive, hence the hole. It is supposed to let air flow through so the rear drive stays cooler. If what I was told is true, you may want to rethink blocking that hole.

#17 ·
which hole are we talking about? I hope it's not the "swingarm" holes for which I just paid bucks to order right and left polished aluminum covers. . .sigh

#24 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mcmonkey mcbean
#27 ·
Hmm, I couldn't see myself riding that but if I was in a different age demographic I won't say no...

#32 ·
Does nothing for me, Erin. There’s a reason manufacturers put a tail on their bikes.

It’s one reason I think a tail tidy on an RS (and the R to some extent) looks incongruous - ‘heavy’ front end with a minimalist rear. Just doesn’t work for me.

#33 ·
Well myself I like a little weight up the front, the big tank of the R, and minimalist rear.

Despite all the appearance mods I've posted up, and a few functional changes which I have considered suit my R......

I've liked my R's the way they R.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Mode of transport

Attachments

#37 ·
You are not alone there. Full figured looks good to me..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.