BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s something to think about, discuss, and debate as you northern hemisphere-dwellers huddle around the old log-fire through the coming long and dreary winter.

Assuming that the BMW boxer-twin range did not exist in its current form – that is, no 1200 R, 1200 RT, 1200 GS, HP – what new motorcycle would you choose in place of what you now have, and that you think would come closest to replicating the best features of the R that appeal to you? Assume also that you would use it as you do your current steed

Restrict your choice – one only model – to litre-plus bikes, I think, but any brand, price bracket, engine configuration, drive-train.

Please write on only one side of the paper provided: extra marks will be awarded for neatness and correct spelling. Do not suck or chew the pencil.

Go to it, my children!

L of S

28°C here today (83°F), and still only mid-spring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
K 1600 GT - That thing looks like a beast! I've been so impressed with the R12R - which is my first BMW (but won't be my last).

I've pretty much been a Harley touring-family guy for the past 9 years. In addition to the R12R, I have a 2013 Road King Classic; and, I've owned an Electra Glide Limited and another Road King before that. BUT when I start thinking about riding (you know, every minute or so), I find myself wanting to hop on the BMW 9 times out of 10. So to justify my choice (since a 1200 RT is off the table for the purposes of this conversation), I think another BMW with a sport-touring setup would be just what the doc ordered. I'm not sure if it precisely replicates the best features of the 12; but, I believe sticking with BMW engineering would help. Of course the powerplant in the GT is attractive too. :)

All that said, I'm seriously considering consolidating to one bike in the next season or so; and, I am leaning heavily toward going to the 1200RT. I think for my riding that may give me the best of both worlds. Ohhh but dreaming of future machines is fun! ;-)

--Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's a tough question I've been dealing with for a long time. I have asked myself that question in "what if" scenarios several times.

At the end I have never been able to get a definitive answer and after talking to friends that understand why I chose the R12R we have concluded in the same way: there's no other bike like it.

But if I have to choose just one option and have no other BMW boxers to pick from, I would go for a Moto Guzzi 1200 sport based solely on aesthetics, and features, disregarding reliability, riding feeling, touring capabilities and dealer presence.

BTW I am on the northern hemisphere but lucky me I am in the tropics. 25º C (77º F) right now. Since we do not have winter here we can ride all year long, we just need to be prepared with rainsuits during rainy season.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mine would be a Moto Guzzi, maybe a Stelvio.
I owned a 1200 Sport for 2 years/22k mile. Every time I put a leg over a big smile would creep across my face. Fueling was fixed by Todd at GuzziTech, and the thing was a torque monster. Sadly it developed intermittent electrical issues, first with the instrument cluster, then starting problems. With no dealer for over a hundred miles and no competent dealer for 1500 miles it had to go.

My local Yamaha dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse, a very generous trade and a significant discount off MSRP for a Yamaha Super Tenere. Luv the Tenere, as reliable as a stone and a very supportive dealer network, it's a keeper for my long distance excursions.

Although not a liter bike, I would like to add a V7 Stone into my garage.... Could be soon.
I like the simplicity, light weight, good fuel economy, and large fuel tank.

LoA, is this just a mental exercise or, are you perhaps, pondering your next ride?

Regards, Paul

·
Registered
172 Posts
Triumph Speed triple. That is 1 fugginfantastic engine and is somthing different. :drool: :001_tt1:

-Basmaf :001_tt2:

·
Registered
701 Posts
As for motorcycles, there a very personal choice thing and a lot of good ones to choose from. However, for me (as in me, myself and I / one reporters opinion). Having had Triumph Speed Triples, Ducks, Aprilla's, various BMW's - "2" of the best real world do-it-all motorcycles is either the "GS or the R".

·
Registered
286 Posts
K 1600 GT - That thing looks like a beast! I've been so impressed with the R12R - which is my first BMW (but won't be my last).
What Penna Mike said: K16GT -- the looks, the technology, that engine! If the weather cooperates, I hope to test ride one this weekend. Lots of deals on 2013 models this time of year.

But parting with my R12R -- my first BMW, too -- would be very difficult. It might be my favorite toy ever. It's made me a better rider than I thought I could be. Two motorcycles in the garage isn't, however, realistic at this point in my motoring career.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since naked is the way the go - I'd have to look a the Triumph Street Triple, KTM 990 Super Duke or the Moto Guzzi Griso 8V.

I'm not sure I could give up my Telelever suspension, though.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
- "2" of the best real world do-it-all motorcycles is either the "GS or the R".
Mike K - go to the back of the class and write 50 times "I must read the question" - which in this case specifically EXCLUDED the GS, R, etc! Bad boy!

Roadscum - just an academic exercise, sadly enough (sob).

Bill - I have seen that pic of yours before, with two bicycles hanging from the ceiling above your lovely R, like two swords of Damocles! I do hope those screws hold!

I'm gratified at the many early responses, and a bit surprised that Moto Guzzi features prominently thus far (not that I have anything against them of course. I seriously considered a 1200 Breva once upon a time).

Keep 'em coming!

L of S

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yamaha FJR 1300...Had an '04 and loved it. Wouldn't really hesitate to get another (although the extra weight isn't desirable).

Darcy

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Diavel Strada, Moto Guzzi Calilfornia, Indian Vintage

·
Registered
803 Posts
I wish Honda made a 1200cc v-twin, shaft drive, water cooled, fuel injected, naked sport tourer... just dreamin'. Nothing like the R out there that I can see. And nothin' NOT like the R that i'd want. Guess I'm lucky...

·
Registered
290 Posts
If I had to purchase a bike to replace the R12R, I would get the new Honda CB1100. If that was not available, then it would be a (I know it is not a liter bike and is not available in the US) Kawasaki W800.

I like the look of vintage bikes. My second bike is a 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic. I use it for running around town.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bill - Please post your thoughts / impressions about the K16GT when you get that test ride in. I'd certainly be interested. Nice R12R BTW - you got it in the "right" color just like me. ;-)

--Mike

1 - 20 of 62 Posts