BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would have said the MG Griso, except I road one and it was not my fit even though it "should" have been.............

I would go to a Ducati, not sure which model

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love the look of the HarleyDavidson softail slim, I'd have it all black and lowered and some throaty pipes!
I thought I was growing out of my mid life crisis, obviously not!:growup:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bill - Please post your thoughts / impressions about the K16GT when you get that test ride in. I'd certainly be interested. Nice R12R BTW - you got it in the "right" color just like me. ;-)

--Mike
You got it, Mike. Test ride is scheduled for tomorrow, as long as the rain stays away. Salesman suggested I bring my R12R's title. Funny how we both have Alpine White boxers and a K6 thing. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Speed Triple R - Except that I'm selling mine since the riding position aggravates a bulging disk in my neck. Best fueling on a bike I've ever had. Wonderful motor. I toured on it with Kriega packs. Thank goodness the R12R is out there. Kriega packs work great on it.

I thought about a Griso. Wonderful motor and shaft drive. And Dave at Moto International in Seattle is the nicest guy in the motorcycle business.

Also thought about a Multistrada. But it has poor fuel economy and too many gizmos.

Ah, but the R is a very balanced bike. If the weather holds I'm going to loop Washington State next week. There is a fair amount of snow on Washington Pass already.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I actually did a long hard look at different bikes before i ended up with the R 1200R. I prefer naked bikes or at least minimally faired bikes and any bike i get has to be flexible enough to strip down for the weekend run or suit up for touring.

Apart from the R1200R I think middleweights are the way to go and I was most impressed with the Kawasaki Versys when I demo'd it. A nice sporty ride, but a great upright riding position. It can take all the luggage you can throw at it too.

I haven't test road one, but the Honda CB1100 might also be a contender if it has the appropriate luggage.

EDIT: Ok, I see liter plus, so I suppose the Versys 1000, but to be honest I haven't demo'd it. I honestly can't see myself really probably buying a liter plus bike if it isn't a boxer engine. The inline 4's and most of the twin setups can get 60-90 bhp in the middleweight ranges.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
... I was most impressed with the Kawasaki Versys when I demo'd it. A nice sporty ride, but a great upright riding position.
EDIT: Ok, I see liter plus, so I suppose the Versys 1000...
Can I take it from your edit, sup, that your first reference to the Versys that you demo'd ("nice sporty ride", etc) related to the smaller (650cc?) of the two Versys models?

It's bit of a rarity here, but I do quite like the slightly different 'style' of the thing... apart from that current dog-poo brown paintwork! Aaaarrggggh!

L of S

·
Registered
265 Posts
Can I take it from your edit, sup, that your first reference to the Versys that you demo'd ("nice sporty ride", etc) related to the smaller (650cc?) of the two Versys models?

It's bit of a rarity here, but I do quite like the slightly different 'style' of the thing... apart from that current dog-poo brown paintwork! Aaaarrggggh!

L of S
Correct. I demo'd the 650 since at the time I was in the market for a middle weight. To be honest, when I was buying I was only looking at middle weights. I only happened to ride the 1200 R at a BMW demo day after I found the F 800R's seating position to be a bit cramped for me.

The Versys, even the 650 has plenty of leg room and actually has that longer "adventure bike" suspension so sits at a nice height off the ground. I really enjoyed it a lot actually.

Does the Versys come in brown or is that the V-Strom? I have only ever seen the white, black and "bumble-bee" yellow, that I demo'd.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I would go with another K1300S, in fact, listing my 2013 R1200R 90th for sale in the near future.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
the new 90!
FAIL! The question specifically excluded current model Boxer twins, so the 'new' 90T is disqualified! But a good answer.

I guess a smart lawyer and/ or politician would try to drive a truck through my argument on grounds that when the question was first posted the 90T was not, to best of my knowledge, a 'current' model - but it is definitely a Boxer twin - so close, aika, but no cigar.

Incidentally, it does occur to me that the advent of the 90T may be driving another nail into the coffin of a replacement 'conventional' R1200 Roadster model with the new liquid-cooled motor. Hard to see that even BMW would want two such similar bikes in the range - but you never can tell!

sup - re: the Versys 650. Sadly, 'dog turd brown' is the only current colour here, but I have seen an older second-hand model in that 'bumblebee' yellow: much to be preferred! The local Kawasaki website also shows a rather nice red, but I don't know if that made it to our shores.

L of S

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
It was so windy on the ride yesterday I think I'd just roll over and get a can-am spyder custom

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I could only have one bike I'd probably go for another Guzzi Griso, had one and regret selling it. It's not as good a bike as the BM in many ways but boy did it make me smile every time I fired it up:001_smile:

The only other bikes I'd fancy would be things like an RSV4 Tuono, MV Brutale, 1290 Superduke or maybe a Ducati of some sort. Every last one of them impractical in one way or another but I had have one as a second bike if I had the garage space.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
It was so windy on the ride yesterday I think I'd just roll over and get a can-am spyder custom

It looks like a sperm looking to impregnate a Chrysler PT Cruiser

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
It looks like a sperm looking to impregnate a Chrysler PT Cruiser
hmm.. you like that design nearly as much as the GS design I see, glad to see that nothing has changed on this forum since my absence...

I would probably be looking at KTMs or Ducati's ... not sure which.. would just have to test ride every model and try not to compare it to the R ... not being able to have the R makes me sad just to think about :001_huh:

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Well Dr. A. Your absence made our hearts grow fonder. . .or was that abstinence. . . .I can't never remember. . .

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Well Dr. A. Your absence made our hearts grow fonder. . .or was that abstinence. . . .I can't never remember. . .
So you're telling me to leave again?.. Great. See ya :p

Make sure you check out the photos I posted. Have some in there I took just for you!!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts