BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
The obvious bike

I'd choose the sexy R1200R from the sunny side of the alps, namely the Griso. It was a close choice when I bought the beam.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Funny you should mention that. I wanted a roadster. I was thinking about the R1200R, the Monster, and the Griso.

In the L.A. area, you don't see many R1200Rs. There are tons of Ducatis - seems like everyone's got one. I love the look of the Griso in photos, but honestly had never seen one, and don't even know where you'd buy one new in L.A. There aren't any dealers anywhere near me, which was a big factor (there are two BMW dealers nearby).

I got my BMW, and recently, at a motorcycle show in Venice, saw a newer Griso. To be honest, what looked sexy in photos didn't knock my socks off when I saw one in the flesh. I wouldn't have chosen it over the BMW if availability were equal.

Looking at my old Nighthawk, which, to the un-initiated I describe as "The '93 Honda Civic of motorcycles", if it blew up tomorrow, I'd pick up a new Honda NC700X to replace it.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'd probably consider the Suzuki DL1000.../QUOTE]

Second that, Mike, but with the yet-to-become-available 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS, due for release early 2014, I read. Actually it's 1037cc bike, significantly upgraded from the previous model (again, so I read).

It looks very much like a GS (from side on) which would suit my preference for something a bit 'quirky', and I do like the Candy Daring Red colour, with the red 'beak' being matched by red inserts in and around the tank. Smart!

Specs suggest it will be a good performer, maybe not quite as accomplished off-road as a GS, but pretty close. For me, tarmac only, so that would make no difference.

OK - it has a chain, but that would appear the only downgrade to an R - but again, it will be $000s cheaper than an R.

It will be very interesting to read early road-test results and reviews.

Now - if only I was planning/ hoping/ intending to get back into the saddle...!

L of S

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Web,

So if you are still consorting with us low-life's, how does it compare to the R?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Bill - Wow! Congratulations! And love the color! I've been waiting to hear your ride report. Must have gone pretty darn well. :) Okay, so now (as drDave said) we're gonna need an in-depth review. You've got me anxious to give one a test myself, though I'll probably wait 'til Spring now. :)

Congrats again! Enjoy!!

--Mike

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
K16gt

Web!!! We'll miss your R1200R posts. It's been a joy sharing with you on this forum. Stick around and give us your insights about the new starship. btw, White is right for you. Congratulations on the new behemoth. Nothing in the BMW lineup munches highway miles like the K16. Hope you will be very happy aboard her. When I test rode one, my ride review comment was the exact same word, beast. When the extra weight, size and costs diminish her attraction, you'll return to something more Roadster sized. We'll be waiting for you with open arms. After all, this forum is one of the most friendly sites on the motorcycle web. :001_smile:

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Second all of the above - enjoy! The sheer size and bulk of the thing terrifies me (as does the price tag!) but there's no disputing it's well done.

L of S

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
One of the new Honda CB1100s. Oil cooled, handles well, and fuel efficient.
Nice-looking retro-style, Archon - but I don't think this model is here in Oz yet. BUT - tank volume is only 14.6L - crazy!

L of S

·
Registered
133 Posts
Speed Triple R. Naked and fun!

·
Registered
286 Posts
We're near peak autumn color in Maryland, and this morning I added some auxiliary lighting to the K1600GT and set out for a 100-mile loop on hilly country roads ideal for break-in.

Despite the K16's longer wheelbase and greater weight (720+ pounds compared to the R1200R's svelte ~500 pounds), the K16 feels deceptively light under way. Like the amazing R12R, when I think about where I want the K16 to go, it goes there with aplomb, and with expediency. The exhaust sounds like a Ferrari, or something out of Skywalker Sound.

K16 hits
-Superlative engine with wide, intoxicating torque band; unsurprisingly less buzzy than the boxer.
-Athleticism: While under way, the K16 feels slightly heavier than the R12R, not ~200 pounds heavier. It's only with the engine off, when pushing the K16 around the garage, and hefting it on the centerstand, that the beast's density is apparent. It passed a major litmus test on the test ride: slow u-turns in a parking lot are remarkably smooth. Once you're moving, the 200 pounds dissipates. In first gear, it figure-8s within the same practice circles as the R12R. Despite this, I added OEM engine guards and saddle-bag protectors.
-Cruise control: 500-mile touring days should be fairly routine
-All-day seat comfort (and it's heated)
-Adaptive xenon headlight defies believe on nighttime corners
-Fit and finish. It's one of the last designs by Motorrad's former design chief David Robb. Big fan.

K16 misses
-Quality control: On a first-generation machine this complex, you're rolling the dice without an extended warranty. Switch gear failures; leaky water pumps, etc. It's Shuttle launch complexity probably with enough computing power to go to Mars.
-Windshield: I'm only about 300 miles in, but I've yet to find a good balance of airflow and wind protection, despite the wind screen's adjustable height. At full height, there is negative pressure that pulls me forward in the saddle. Need to do more R&D with this. A screenless R12R is sublime — I miss that.
-Lighting: Despite the adaptive headlight, from an oncoming automobile, it's a small point on the road ahead that is probably easily missed. Auxiliary LEDs are vital, especially in the rear, where the tail light's skinny three bars lack conspicuity in daylight.
-Audio: Poor quality from bike sources. The low bitrate via Sirius satellite sounds like AM radio; background static/hiss grates via Bluetooth. I'm still learning but don't think you can adjust audio volume with the bike's multifunction switch (a.k.a wonder wheel) via Bluetooth. You can only adjust volume on the Bluetooth receiver, a pain while motoring. (I use a Jabra BT3030 Bluetooth receiver.) And although you can store audio on a microSD card in the Nav V, it's prevented from outputting audio when plugged in to the bike's GPS harness. The only audio you hear via Bluetooth from the Garmin is driving directions. To hear the best sounding audio, I bypass the bike's audio and plug the Etymotic earbuds directly to the iPhone in my jacket pocket.

The late great Kevin Ash said it best about the K16GT:
"… screaming the mellifluous motor up to the red line, set at 8,500rpm on the analogue dial, unleashes a pack of furious banshees that should have no place on a touring bike... but it’s great that they do! …" -- BMW K1600GT review | Ash On Bikes

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I've never tried a Guzzi but I guess I'd give one a go.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I must say that I do very much like the lines of the Moto Guzzi 200 Sport 8v. It's a bit chunky at 253kg dry, but that would be offset a little by the useful 800mm seat height - and the 23L tank attracts.

Plus - the red paint job is inspired - imagine a 1200R so finished!

L of S

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now that it's becoming a reality, I'd feel a strong gravitational pull from the new, somewhat naked S1000R. I had a K1200S for a while, and "the power is seductive..."

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have been riding lately with a friend who has a Moto Guzzi California. Beautiful bike, and although it is Italian I feel it has a kinship with the BMW R1200R, it being a shaft driven twin with outboard cylinders. He jokes that the BMW's cylinders are "saggy" as opposed to his Moto's "perky" pair!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Maybe the Bmw isn't as perky, but your friends perky cylinder heads are on a body that's 200 pounds fatter. The Cali is more like an Italian opera singer

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Well, chums and chum-esses, the question “what would you choose in place of an R1200 R” was posted here a month ago and seemed to create a bit of interest.

The (many) responses were pretty interesting, even if a few of them did mis-cue as those members had clearly not read the question properly: back of the class, you!

I was surprised at first, then less so as I considered the facts, that a clear ‘winner’ in terms of preferred alternative brand in the ‘naked, > one litre’ class seems to be Moto Guzzi.

It’s not hard to see why. Both the naked BMW and naked Moto Guzzis are dominated visually by that big lump of an engine hanging out of the side of the bike, heavily-finned and giving every indication of power and performance. Other than that, ‘styling’ is minimalistic, if present at all, and the two even share the virtue of being shaft-driven.

Both hark back to days when motorcycles were simpler, more basic, although of course these days BMWs bristle with electronic 'aids’ that seem to have been largely eschewed by Moto Guzzi, ABS apart.

I think I might personally have opted for the Moto Guzzi 2000 Sport 8V (complete with bikini fairing) which, in red, is a stunning-looking machine.

Otherwise, the yet-to-be released Suzuki 1037cc V-Strom 1000 semi-GS-lookalike (chain driven) appeals on paper, while for sheer value-for-money the new-ish 1050cc Triumph Tiger Sport would have to be considered. A few years ago I had its predecessor, the Tiger 1050 SE, and that triple motor is a delight, even if the overall package was let down a bit in a couple of minor ways, IMHO.

Thanks for all the contributions. What shall we discuss next? It’s a l-o-n-g winter…

L of S

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Hmm.. We could now discuss what type of coolent we need to put into our bikes in the winter :p

41 - 60 of 62 Posts