BMW R1200R Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Here’s something to think about, discuss, and debate as you northern hemisphere-dwellers huddle around the old log-fire through the coming long and dreary winter.

Assuming that the BMW boxer-twin range did not exist in its current form – that is, no 1200 R, 1200 RT, 1200 GS, HP – what new motorcycle would you choose in place of what you now have, and that you think would come closest to replicating the best features of the R that appeal to you? Assume also that you would use it as you do your current steed

Restrict your choice – one only model – to litre-plus bikes, I think, but any brand, price bracket, engine configuration, drive-train.

Please write on only one side of the paper provided: extra marks will be awarded for neatness and correct spelling. Do not suck or chew the pencil.

Go to it, my children!

L of S

28°C here today (83°F), and still only mid-spring.
I have ever owned, or ridden a motorcycle that I like better than my R1200R-LC. Coming from primarily the Harley-Davidson world, there isn't anything that any Harley-Davidson does better than my R1200R. If I were going to do some serious touring of the USA, I might consider a Honda Gold Wing. I was really impressed when a rider on a Gold Wing was able to pass me on my Sportster on the ascent in the mountains on HWY 181. He actually passed me in a tight corner. I'll probably keep the R1200R; it is not likely that I would find anything better out there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What a great question to answer again in 2021! All motorcycles in the 2013 answers have received updates and since then new models have also been introduced.

Even our R has seen the introduction of the LC and then the 1250 shift cam.

Since I am a 2013 rider I think the closest match would be the 2021 Triumph Speed Twin.

If I were a LC or Shift Cam rider the 2021 Triumph Speed Tripple could be a close match?

61 - 62 of 62 Posts