BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to sort out highway speed transmission of road irregularities to the handlebars on my '11 Classic. I don't want to take the plunge on a set of Tractive shocks until I've covered maintenance of what's there.

Should the fork oil be replaced like on "typical" forks? It's not listed on the Motorrad maintenance schedule.

The Haynes manual gives a good description of removal and service of the forks but doesn't say what purpose they serve other than allowing the wheel to travel over the road.
On "typical" forks, they do the job of smoothing out the ride. Has ALL of this job been transferred to the front shock? Or do the forks do some damping as well? I don't want to go through the process of removal, inspecting seals and replacing without knowing that there could be improvement in suspension.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is no oil in the teleskopic parts (fork).
If the shaking starts at 80 mph is probably a bad balanced wheel. I had the same when I tried to balance the front wheel with the wheelbearings, which does not work. On the other hand a German motorcycle magazin tested the R1200 Classic and their test bike had an excentricity of the rear rim of 1.5 mm. That could lead to vibrations too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you hexer. The wheels have been balanced in an effort to eliminate them from the issue. There is oil in the forks. At least my Haynes manual thinks so. I just don't know what, if any, effect forks have to do with suspension. The oil may just serve to lubricate the tubes during in-out travel.

I just don't want to spend $1,500. for a suspension upgrade that doesn't address the issue. Most rider claim a significant improvement. Then again, there is the placebo effect...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bingo. Thanks Lee.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Then again, there is the placebo effect...
Yes that should not be underrated. Think of the numerous threads with the drivers convicted, that the motor runs smoother after changing the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts