·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Lucky Chump.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Aren’t these bikes air/oil cooled?
Starting in 2015, the R1200R got the LC engine: water (well 50/50 water/antifreeze) and air cooled. It has air cooling fins, but I think it is mostly cooled by the water jacket/radiator. If it still has an oil cooler radiator, I haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
548 Posts
There is no oil radiator, only the water/antifreeze one, so it's hard to picture the oil cooling it much except by what it might do spreading the heat around.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I know this makes me sound like a novice... which I am. I just bought my bike a few days ago. What does the “LC” mean ?
My question would be - why does a German company use an English description for a feature on the bike?

Though the Germanic version is rather tortuous - flüssigkeitsgekühlt

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Aren’t these bikes air/oil cooled?

Ich ging zu Spec Savers also kann sehen!! >:)

If your original question was relating to your bike Denis, (in your avatar) its a Camhead and a Air/Oil cooled engine.

If your question was to do with the r1200r 2015- years on they are LC engines...liquid cooled.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Think they used Wasser Boxer to begin with, but others tagged it _LC.
It's those internet forums. They're ruining everything !
Let's all use German on this forum. NO MORE ENGLISH ! >:)
Jawohl! :nerd:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Correct your bike being a 2013 model is air/oil cooled, bmw went to LC in 2015 I believe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was going to ask same question "What does the model code 'LC' mean?" Now I know. Should have guessed, me thinks. 'Liquid Cooled' now firmly embedded. Now I guess my R1200R can be known as 'R1200R Sport' (as specified by the BMW dealer I bought it from) or 'R1200R LC' which makes plenty sense! Love the ride. Despair at the lack of info available from BMW therefore grateful for the warranty they provide.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
I don’t believe it’s an official term, but it has stuck on this forum. This picture shows the cooling system, albeit with the GS’s twin radiators.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts