BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is the little what looks like terry cloth cover for the front disk brake reservoir? I was watching the Isle of Man race coverage this week on Velocity channel and noticed the same thing on some of the racing bikes. It is a peculiar add on in so much as it is fabric and I can't quite get what it's purpose is? Keep it cooler? Look better?
This attachment is from another members posted pic today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
During the IOMTT coverage, the commentators said that it is to absorb any leakage from the reservoir, so that the associated oil/fluid doesn't get all over the bike, rider, or in the worst case scenario, the tires. That could lead to a horrible crash.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting... if you think about it if there is major leakage, cover or no cover, that could lead to a major crash as well! And with the cover one might not see the level is down.
BTW, wasn't that great coverage of the races?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Found this in the internet so it must be true.

Traps and absorbs brake fluid that's vented from the reservoir
Prevents brake fluid from getting on your helmet and/or your motorcycle, damaging paint and corroding metals
A number of race tracks ask racers to cover their reservoirs as they also assist in containing any brake fluid that may be spilled onto the track in the event of an unfortunate accident
Keeps direct sunlight off of the brake and clutch reservoirs
Prevents break down and discoloration of your brake fluid and plastic reservoirs caused by suns damaging UV rays

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Oooh, goody; something else to spend money on!

L of S

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hi Guys, Got the one you see in my picture(sock) with my Pazzo levers for the K bike. The sock also picks up moisture that could? effect brake fluid. By the way, the Pazzo's also fit the new R bike, but the adjustment is better on the stock than it was on the K bike. So, if anyone is looking for reg length black Pazzo levers............

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I like it. It's like an exercise headband for the reservoir. Very 1980's 'let's get physical, physical. . '. . . .

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Interesting... if you think about it if there is major leakage, cover or no cover, that could lead to a major crash as well! And with the cover one might not see the level is down.
BTW, wasn't that great coverage of the races?
It really was great coverage. I hope to get to the Isle of Man someday and ride the course. I won't be able to go as fast as those guys, but there's still a lot of history there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
brake fluid is incredibly corrosive and will eat away at your paint. The sweat bands are commonly put on bikes just to soak up an minor drips that may occur

·
Registered
23 Posts
Many of us use the cover to prevent UV radiation from destroying the plastic housing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts