BMW R1200R Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2047 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Kudos to you and great job bostewart, always good to save one from oblivion and hopefully many miles of smiles ahead. Any idea why the original engine bearings 'tore apart' at such low kms? Had PO committed a major 'crime against machinery' perchance?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kudos to you and great job bostewart, always good to save one from oblivion and hopefully many miles of smiles ahead. Any idea why the original engine bearings 'tore apart' at such low kms? Had PO committed a major 'crime against machinery' perchance?
Crank bearing was bad. One half of one half a bearing tore apart. The crank itself had a tiny scratch on it that i couldn't get at without removing it from the block. Cheaper to buy short block than used crank and go thru that labor.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well, not done “today” but I got the P3 and Photon Blaster from SkeneLights installed. Just got the LED turn signals from Dynamic Motorrad installed.

This photo was taken with just the LEDs on the left side to illustrate the difference in brightness.

Now, if I could only find a simple way to improve the headlights....

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Nothing today, but ordered Akrapovič headers for my LC. I opted for stainless instead of titanium. I fitted a slip-on CAN a few months ago but, I should have fitted a full system first up. Now I have to wait six weeks for them to come in. I hate that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts
I just changed the brake fluid. It was due next August but was looking a bit discoloured through the sight glass. Lifting the cap showed it didn’t look bad, but I changed it anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Luvverly Dynamoto stands there MikeS. I'm a recent convert, not for my bike unfortunately, but for a friend's Honda CB750 Superbike across the ditch in NZ. Truly lovely bit of kit and I'm a total fan boy of those beautiful stands - Thank you!

The sharp-eyed among you may spot the MotoGP style quickly detachable 'twist-off, twist-on' brake hose connectors down just near the front brake calipers.

(& apologies for non-R related content - normal transmission can now resume...)

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Thanks, and very happy with mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Found a set of CVM Sahara highway pegs on eBay and put them on today. Can’t wait to test them after the locktite and the weather dry out.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just changed the brake fluid. It was due next August but was looking a bit discoloured through the sight glass. Lifting the cap showed it didn’t look bad, but I changed it anyway.
Sounds like you're running out of things to do ... are Aussies under any kind of shelter-at-home advisories or is that dependent on your location? I guess the Gibson Desert and places like Kiwirrkurra wouldn't be under any orders to shelter, or ?
We're doing Shelter-In-Place/ face masks and distancing here, and I almost cleaned up my garage the other day, before I successfully avoided it. Close one, though!

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts
Sounds like you're running out of things to do ... are Aussies under any kind of shelter-at-home advisories or is that dependent on your location?
Restrictions are on a state/territory basis, and the ACT (Australian Capital Territory) has had among the lightest restrictions. Wekve had astay at home advisory, working from home where feasible, public places, places of worship, gyms, restaurants and pubs closed (except take-away) and maximums at events such as weddings and funerals (5 and 10 respectively). Most shops remained open, but with restrictions on the maximum numbers (4 m2 per person) and social distancing (>1.5m).

Australia has flattened its curve, with under 100 deaths recorded, so minimum restrictions are now being eased a little.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Hmm, what have I done to my R recently? Well, I go out to the garage every once in a while and look at it, run a finger across the seat to see how much dust it's gathered :(

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Installed an AvantGuard. I pretty much forgot I had ordered it, why, I don’t know. I am riding locally, building up miles so I can have the first service.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
I spent a few hours removing GPS wiring, top box & few other bits and pieces off my G310R and a good clean up. Trading it in on Monday for a new HONDA CB650R. Keen has a small Honda 4 in the garage again.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Restrictions are on a state/territory basis, and the ACT (Australian Capital Territory) has had among the lightest restrictions. Wekve had astay at home advisory, working from home where feasible, public places, places of worship, gyms, restaurants and pubs closed (except take-away) and maximums at events such as weddings and funerals (5 and 10 respectively). Most shops remained open, but with restrictions on the maximum numbers (4 m2 per person) and social distancing (>1.5m).

Australia has flattened its curve, with under 100 deaths recorded, so minimum restrictions are now being eased a little.

View attachment 107681
This puts the Australian experience and results into context:

Sweden never shut its schools, and has not imposed the stringent lockdown measures seen in many other countries. Businesses like restaurants and clubs have stayed open, albeit with social distancing guidelines enforced. There is a modest 50-person restriction on public gatherings.
The country has recorded 28,000 cases of the virus and 3460 deaths. According to Johns Hopkins University, it has a mortality rate of 33 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants, which is a little higher than America (25), but significantly lower than some other European countries, such as Belgium (76), Spain (58), Italy (51) and the United Kingdom (49).
In case you’re wondering, Australia’s figure is 0.4 deaths per 100,000 people.

·
Registered
167 Posts
And China, with a population approaching 1.4 billion has a reported mortality rate of just 4,637 deaths or 0.33 deaths per 100k head of population, even lower than Australia & New Zealand.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
And China, with a population approaching 1.4 billion has a reported mortality rate of just 4,637 deaths or 0.33 deaths per 100k head of population, even lower than Australia & New Zealand.
Or so they report!

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I spent a few hours removing GPS wiring, top box & few other bits and pieces off my G310R and a good clean up. Trading it in on Monday for a new HONDA CB650R. Keen has a small Honda 4 in the garage again.

That Honda does look exceeding tasty, mikeS! I imagine the riding experience will be quite different to the Roadster...

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
That Honda does look exceeding tasty, mikeS! I imagine the riding experience will be quite different to the Roadster...
I haven’t had a test ride just decided order one based on ride reviews and some honda forum chatter. From all reports, and for what it is, about the best of the current 650 bunch. The dealer will deliver the bikes to my house this Thursday. Will post some pix when its tucked away in the shed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2021 - 2040 of 2047 Posts