BMW R1200R Forum banner

1921 - 1940 of 1989 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
Sounds to me the pump is working then. Did you read-out the fuel pressure using the GS911 real-time values to confirm?

Could you smell fuel when you pulled the plugs? Could be gummed injectors after sitting for some time.

Fresh fuel?

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Sounds to me the pump is working then. Did you read-out the fuel pressure using the GS911 real-time values to confirm?

Could you smell fuel when you pulled the plugs? Could be gummed injectors after sitting for some time.

Fresh fuel?
I couldn't find a fuel pressure reading for my bike on the GS911, but I'll have another look. I could smell fuel when I pulled the plugs, but that may have been my pants :001_unsure:

I gave it the finest Premium 98 Caltex sells, with some Liqui Moly fuel system cleaner in it too. I have a suspicion that the fuel filter under the tank is clogged up with varnish, it was thick and sticky in the tank, so it would be the same everywhere else I reckon.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Today my Sargent Seat Rack arrived. I am very impressed with the fit and finish almost as good as the BMW factory finish. I also can’t complain about the service from Sargent’s US factory sales and support team. I practically drove them nuts with my question, but they answered every email and nothing seem to be a problem.

I have a reasonably longish road trip coming up, and I’ll need to supplement my luggage with a large duffle (BMW blue 50 litres)as well as OEM panniers. The issue with the OEM panniers is they are a little high, and my duffle (or most) rests on top the panniers. That said, even with the rack in place it still the duffle just touched, but I have a little modification in mind that should sort it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if I'd posted this modification to my Sargent rear seat rack. I fitted an SW Motech tank ring to the rack that gives extra functionality. This provides another option with to stow my camera gear and tech equipment out touring. For days rides, l like to keep the tank back on the rack - easy to switch between tank and rack positions.

https://youtu.be/VJD_Ijc6HbA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Ordered some filters, spark plugs and a bit of fuel hose to do a service and check the fuel system by squirting fuel around the inlaws house.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
WHAT have YOU done to your "R" today?

Typical feline - absorbed by self-interest.

Do you have a licence to operate all those devices, Mike?

My Garmin inReach Mini came in handy yesterday to send & receive text messages yesterday. On my ride, there were a couple of stops with no mobile coverage due to bushfire infrastructure damage. Also found route tracking APP more detailed and useful than my old trust SPOT Gen3. Great little device.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Nothing too special. Added a final drive slider.

That looks very tidy what brand is that?

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Installed the ECU today after being remapped in Germany. Started the engine with no issues, but no test ride yet. Still waiting for Akrapovič headers to arrive and be installed first. >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Speaking of Akrapovic, most every motorcyclist I have ever heard say that brand name pronounces it as 'Ak-ra-poh-vic'.

For a very different and quite amusing take, I was in a bike shop on Saturday buying some motomuck motorcycle cleaner (https://motomuckproducts.com.au/) - long overdue on my R1200R.

Wandering through the BMW showroom (as you do), an Eastern European sounding sales fellow was chatting to me about an R9T equipped with an 'A-Crap-o-vic'. Brought a smile to my dial.

( as in 'Yeah, mate I took "a-krapovic" and put it on me bike, and now it goes sh!tloads better!)

·
Registered
134 Posts
So I’ve been thinking about a garage door opener for the bike for some time. Then on an unusually warm December day, I decided to go for a ride. As I began backing out of the garage, I thought that I should have checked my tire pressure. So I leaned over to look at the tires, and somehow activated the garage door opener in my pocket. Next thing I know my garage door comes down on my top case (I couldn’t hear it with the bike running, helmet on and ear plugs in). The big scratch on my top case helped motivate me on the issue (a normal person might also be motivated to install the garage door back-up sensors, but I’m not there yet).

After looking into options for $80+, I put the following together using an old garage door opener and $11 in supplies. A better mounting system for the remote to be forthcoming. I’m thinking Velcro will be sufficient.

Wade

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
WHAT have YOU done to your "R" today?

I got my OEM pannier lids back from the paint shop and reassembled the the panniers. It’s not a significant change but I didn’t care for the factory glossy back. Finish. I think the Matt black looks better, albeit a subtle difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
Lower mirrors to reduce turbulence

For some time now I’ve been experimenting with the effect mirrors have in creating turbulence around my helmet. I’ve found that if the mirror arms are swept back as much of practicable, turbulence is reduced. Presumably the air spills more outwards and doesn’t interact with air coming over the front of the bike.

I even considered bending the mirror arms down a touch, but didn’t want to change my OEM items. Bar-end mirrors would look too fussy with Carbon handguards that are permanently fitted, so I ruled them out.

On eBay, though, I found some OEM looking items for a reasonable price that I was prepared to experiment with. As it turns out they’re 1/2” lower than the originals, and with the mirror portions tilted downwards, I’m getting no turbulence at all from my shortened Sport screen. Air flow is the same whether I’m seated or standing, which it wasn’t with the stock mirrors when I had them adjusted optimally for vision (mirror arms perpendicular to the axis of the bike).

The shape of the replacements mirrors the originals (pun intended) while the finish texture differs, but is good. The adapters use a friction lock system, which is effective, but differs from the L-R thread of the originals. When winter comes, I’ll fit a bigger screen (MRA Vario) and see if I need to bend the arms down a tad. But in the meantime, I’m happy with the mod, and the mirrors don’t look as much like insect antennae as the originals.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
They appear to be all same-same as my R9T mirrors, therefore I approve!

Attachments

1921 - 1940 of 1989 Posts