BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody vouch for winter battery SAE plug-in boxes that keep your 1200 battery alive and kicking over the winter? (You Planet Florida people need not respond :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Living in Naperville (in your vicinity) I've used a battery tender jr. for years on bikes in the cold garage and the bike battery has never had any issue. I'm using on my R now with an SAE pigtail to the battery.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Likewise... Deltran Battery Tender Jr. In the past, I've simply used any old $10 1 amp trickle charger, but after reading the myriad charger reviews I decided to pop for the $20 +/- Deltran to hopefully avoid overcharging. So far, so good. Like Fudge, my R12 has a permanent pigtail allowing easy charger hook up.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered a CTEK 3300, which says it does desulphation as well as trickle charge and tending. Will see. . .

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Looks like a good choice there, Doc. I have a very old Deltran Battery Plus.The CTEK 0.8 would be fine for just your Classic battery, but if you also use it for a car, the 3300 is a good one. Low amp charging over a longer time period is good. You guys in the North have a lot to consider when the riding season comes to a standstill. Let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Plain old Deltran Battery Tender for me as well. I think I read somewhere you aren't supposed to connect the lead rings right to the battery on a canbus system, but I have had mine hooked up for the past few months with no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Maybe it's because the weather is never that bad here, only down to 22F and 6" of snow, but I don't use a charger. Using the bike is the best way to keep the battery in good condition. I often leave my 1990 K75 for a month or more and she always starts first time.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Maybe it's because the weather is never that bad here, only down to 22F and 6" of snow, but I don't use a charger. Using the bike is the best way to keep the battery in good condition. I often leave my 1990 K75 for a month or more and she always starts first time.
:iagree:

My bike is on a temperature controlled storage for now, it gets down to the 40s only so I'm not that worried about the battery.
All I do when I can't ride, is turn the bike on, let it seat for 5 minutes, then accelerate smooth up to 5k RPM and leave it there for 3 minutes, I keep it on the center stand so, after that I put the bike on 1st gear and let the oil inside the shaft move around and warm up for like 2 minutes, upshifting and changing the RPM.

So far that has keep the battery good.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have one of those legalspeeding roller gizmos that I put under the center stand, so you can roll the bike anywhere. It's a ***** to get the bike up on the stand, but maybe that's because I'm about 155 pounds in fighting trim. I have the CTEK plugged into the SAE pigtail and it seems to be charging and pulsing and doing whatever a CTEK is supposed to do. I sprayed the shiny parts with WD-40.

I haven't started the bike to find out what it will do, but will let it surprise me when it's warmer. It's in a closed but unheated garage and it's about 6 degrees here, with ice on the roads. I'm just going to have to be satisfied with going to the Chicago Motorcycle Show next weekend. . .

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Chicago Motorcycle Show next weekend. . .

I nominate drDave as the official photojournalist from R1200R Forum.
Might we expect some stunning photos & sage advice from the bike show?:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I put mine on the tender 24/7 365. If I am not riding it, it is on the tender regardless of tempurature.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I will bring my camera. . .last year BMW was barely there; just a couple of bikes from a local dealer. Hopefully they'll do better. If I see any airbrushed women impersonating motorcycles, I will be sure to get pictures. . .

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I nominate drDave as the official photojournalist from R1200R Forum.
Might we expect some stunning photos & sage advice from the bike show?:)
I will go to the one in Indianapolis in 2 weeks or so... depending on the pictures we see from DrDave however ... :mob:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gerbings Ring Terminal harness on battery terminals..

so I have a place to get power for heated gear (Powerlet port used for Garmin).

Then I use this SAE to Coax adapter from the harness to a Yuasa smart charger.

Firstgear 6in SAE Connection to DC Coax Plug Adapter - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Yuasa Automatic 12 V Battery Chargers YUA1201501 - PowerSportsPlace.com

This harness also can be used to power a small compressor if needed to repair a flat, so I carry the adapter cable with me when riding to enable that connection.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to say that after about 3 months of Chicago weather, the CTEK 3300 let my bike start the very first time yesterday, when enough snow had melted to take the bike out. My 12 had been in an unheated, frequently opened 2.5 car garage for those three months. So props to CTEK. . .

of course, it may be like the old joke about the guy wearing the big medallion where his friend says "what's that?" and he says "It's an anti-elephant charm, as long as I wear it, our town is safe from anyone being run down by an elephant!" His friend says "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard." The guy replies "when was the last time you were almost run down by an elephant?"

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting. I'm not really sure why one would need a special CAN-Bus compatible charger, since they all seem to work on the BMW's. The CTEK 3300 also has a desulphation mode, plugs into the SAE , etc. It doesn't have the readouts of the Optimates, but does have a special "motorcycle" setting as well as a "very cold weather" setting. No "motorcycle in very cold weather" setting though. You'd think the two wouldn't be mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Interesting. I'm not really sure why one would need a special CAN-Bus compatible charger, since they all seem to work on the BMW's. The CTEK 3300 also has a desulphation mode, plugs into the SAE , etc. It doesn't have the readouts of the Optimates, but does have a special "motorcycle" setting as well as a "very cold weather" setting. No "motorcycle in very cold weather" setting though. You'd think the two wouldn't be mutually exclusive.
The canbus compatible charger is only required if you are hooking the charger up through the accessory port since it is back feeding through the system. I just hooked a regular charger right up to my battery terminals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts