BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

Premium Member
521 miles from Salem, VA to Birmingham, AL through rain and 50 deg F temperatures. In 10 hours, half of it in the dark of night

I never, ever, want to do that again; EVER. 馃槱

Registered
From a 2006 cross-country trip...Laramie, WY to Nashville, IL...1,002.4 miles.

I was on the homeward stretch of 1,500 miles. Wasted time in St. Louis try to get a good photo of the Gateway Arch. So, I could have gone even further. However, this is distance, which is easy(ier) when on interstate highways.

From that same trip, I鈥檇 say my 鈥渓ongest day鈥 was from San Francisco to Ash Fork, AZ. That was just 899 miles, BUT....

• I got lost at night in San Francisco and stopped much later after stopping for food and deciding to stay at the hotel next door (before I had a GPS).
  • I had an exhausting prior day from Portland, OR to San Francisco, CA via the Pacific Coast Highway...cold and windy with an average speed of around 35 mph...with a fully loaded (and then some) CBR1100XX.
  • I went to tour the Angeles Crest Highway only to find it closed at one end. So, I had to double back to continue on to Las Vegas.
  • After getting dinner in Las Vegas, I foolishly tried to continue on...expecting to find a motel after Hoover Dam in Arizona. Again, no GPS, so I was navigating at night by map. Missed my turn and was going down the wrong highway. Once I figured out my error, I diverted onto a farming road that would reconnect me with my planned route and decided to just pull over, put the bike on the center stand, and take a nap in the saddle using my tank bag as a pillow.

Registered
I鈥檝e been riding since December 31, 2019 and had my longest day riding on Friday (319 miles). It was a beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest. I have a childhood friend who lives in Portland OR, he owns a 2008 Harley Fat Bob. We met halfway between Portland and Seattle and then rode as far as we could down the Spirit Lake Highway to Mount St Helens. The roads were clear, the sky was blue, and the mountain was majestic. I couldn鈥檛 have asked for a better day.

The ONLY downside was my sore butt when I got home. This was my longest day out on the bike, and I was feeling it. I literally need to toughen my butt up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
My longest day so far was 600 miles, but with a long break in the middle. Long Beach, CA to Pacifica, CA for a family gathering, then back as far as Fresno, CA that evening to crash at a friend's place for the night, then back home to Long Beach the next day.

This was a few years ago on an SV650 naked. This R12R-LC is MUCH more comfortable.

Registered
Wow, can't imagine 1000+ miles!

My longest one day is 1100 km from Sofia, Bulgaria to Murec, Ausria (a small town on river Mur which serves as border between Slovenia and Austria). It took almost 11 hours to exit Bulgaia and cross Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia and reach Austria, mostly on a very boring and hot highway with 2 very busy borders to cross (Serbia-Croatia took almost an hour even we've being filtering the queue). When we arrived at the hotel I was so tired that I fell from the fifth step of hotel entry to the ground. Luckily I was still wearing the gear so nothing happened.

This was the third time I do around 1000 km to reach Austria but I won't do it again. Better to rest at around 800 and continue on the next day.

Happy beers after long ride:

Spare motorcycle if yours falls apart after such long day:

Registered
Wow, can't imagine 1000+ miles!

My longest one day is 1100 km from Sofia, Bulgaria to Murec, Ausria (a small town on river Mur which serves as border between Slovenia and Austria).
;)

And that鈥檚 why we Yanks point at laugh at the metric system. :p

Joking aside, doing 1,000 miles or more in the USA requires a lot of highway (interstate) miles at higher speeds. I鈥檓 sure your trip involved slower speeds and more curves.

Reactions: momchilk

Registered
We got lost one year on our annual pilgrimage from Sydney to Phillip Island. Ended up taking us 16 hours to get to our destination which was someone's house in the country. Bought a RAM mount right after that trip to use my phone as a gps.

Registered
Joking aside, doing 1,000 miles or more in the USA requires a lot of highway (interstate) miles at higher speeds. I鈥檓 sure your trip involved slower speeds and more curves.
About 3/4 was on a highway/motorway but not comparable to your interstates ;) Only 2 lanes and occasionally not very good surface.

But the slowest points are country borders. During July and August lots of gastarbeiters (peope from Turkey working in western Europe countries) are going to celebrate Bayram with their families in Turkey so the traffic is heavy and the queues on the borders are more than 3 km long

On the joking point - depends on miles (land, sea, air, old British, old Roman, ...) :D

Registered
My longest day so far was 600 miles, but with a long break in the middle. Long Beach, CA to Pacifica, CA for a family gathering, then back as far as Fresno, CA that evening to crash at a friend's place for the night, then back home to Long Beach the next day.

This was a few years ago on an SV650 naked. This R12R-LC is MUCH more comfortable.
Similar for me. Rode a SV650 from Philip Island to Sydney along the coast road, approx 1000km / 13hrs. It had the bikini fairing but didn鈥檛 do much for my 6鈥4鈥 frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
I'm going to revive this thread. Ha ha. Just ventured to this forum. Don't remember exactly when, but my longest distance was on my first BMW, a 2002 K1200RS (brick), coming back from a Hill Country rally put together by an old 'i-BMW' forum, and promoted by a 'pirate' guy (a vendor). Did 562 miles, from Kerrville, to El Paso, TX, detouring thru Balmorhea, Ft. Davis, and Kent. The 2nd longest distance was 506 miles, slabbing to that same rally, from El Paso to Kerrville. Other than the awesome twisties of the Davis mountains on the way back, it wasn't pleasant AT ALL. That was the first and last time I did that long of a ride.

On a related note, my longest riding day was on an overnight trip to Alpine, AZ, with tons of super tight twisties in Gila (152,35,15), and Morenci to Alpine (191). About 430 miles, but A TON of hours on the saddle; it was hard work too. I deleted the 35/15 detour on the way back, and on subsequent trips (too many 1st-gear hairpins, which are not my favorite... and 191 has enough).

Registered
2012 R1200R
Back in 1991 me and 2 friends did 840 miles from South Carolina to New Hampshire. Not a fun ride as it was on route 95 with a portion being done in heavy rain at night. It was supposed to be an easy 2 day ride, but due to other circumstance got squeezed into 1 day, I arrived home at 3am. This was on my Harley FXR, which I still have.

Reactions: Panzermann

Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
Some people see accomplishments in long distance or long hours riding. I just see a needless competition that can only lead to dangerous situations...

Reactions: v-rider

Mark 鈥 Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
Except for fair dinkum Iron Butt riders, I don鈥檛 see it as a competition - just telling stories. It鈥檚 a bit like talking about an accident you had. No one chooses to crash, but most want to share the story over a beer.

Reactions: r0ckrat

Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
Yes, let's hope it stays with that

Registered
My longest one day ride was from Hamburg, PA to Bridgeton, Maine riding a R100RS "Big Pipe"
466 miles. Straight through.
I was much, much, younger then, 26 years old.

Banned
Some people see accomplishments in long distance or long hours riding.
I'm certainly not one of those. I'd NEVER do a useless and pointless 1K-mile ride just for the sake of doing it (and to brag about it. Nothing to prove here). And yes, it can absolutely become dangerous when driving in the dark, rain, traffic, etc. I just don't see what's the point, but to each his own. When I did the 506 miles (on TX highways), it wasn't as bad as I thought due to mostly 80 mph, but had absolutely ZERO enjoyment out of that. That's why I added the detour to Ft. Davis on the way back, to at least not make the trip useless, adding some nice twisties. Ha ha.

Anyway, on that rally trip, I hit a gigantic swarm of bees that I couldn't avoid due to traffic (only slowed down a little), and left my bike and myself completely covered in sticky crap. Couldn't see anything after that, so immediately opened the visor, and had to pull over right on the side of I-10, to clean it (not safe). Spent hours cleaning the bike and gear in Kerrville, since bike was running hot, due to radiator blockage. Also got hit by a lot of stones when passing trucks (it was windy), messing up my bike and helmet. And on the way back, caught the worst grasshopper infestation I've ever seen on hwy 118. The highway was fully (and I mean it) covered in those critters for miles... and they jump quite high. Ha ha. Once again, bike was a royal mess, and had to stop to remove as many as I could from the radiator again. After that experience, I avoid riding on interstates like the plague. Ha ha. But that's only doable when not traveling that far away. But with my new trailer, I'll be able to get to nice places in comfort, and start fresh once close to the twisties :).

41 - 60 of 78 Posts