BMW R1200R Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm certainly not one of those. I'd NEVER do a useless and pointless 1K-mile ride just for the sake of doing it (and to brag about it. Nothing to prove here). And yes, it can absolutely become dangerous when driving in the dark, rain, traffic, etc. I just don't see what's the point, but to each his own. When I did the 506 miles (on TX highways), it wasn't as bad as I thought due to mostly 80 mph, but had absolutely ZERO enjoyment out of that. That's why I added the detour to Ft. Davis on the way back, to at least not make the trip useless, adding some nice twisties. Ha ha.

Anyway, on that rally trip, I hit a gigantic swarm of bees that I couldn't avoid due to traffic (only slowed down a little), and left my bike and myself completely covered in sticky crap. Couldn't see anything after that, so immediately opened the visor, and had to pull over right on the side of I-10, to clean it (not safe). Spent hours cleaning the bike and gear in Kerrville, since bike was running hot, due to radiator blockage. Also got hit by a lot of stones when passing trucks (it was windy), messing up my bike and helmet. And on the way back, caught the worst grasshopper infestation I've ever seen on hwy 118. The highway was fully (and I mean it) covered in those critters for miles... and they jump quite high. Ha ha. Once again, bike was a royal mess, and had to stop to remove as many as I could from the radiator again. After that experience, I avoid riding on interstates like the plague. Ha ha. But that's only doable when not traveling that far away. But with my new trailer, I'll be able to get to nice places in comfort, and start fresh once close to the twisties :).
680 miles from Peckham, London, to Berlin. Crossed five countries in 9 hours. It was fun, in a slightly scary way… I was filming a movie in Potsdam for 6 weeks, couldn’t bear to be without wheels for that long. The bike was my ‘05 CBF600SA, which I still own, 194k on the clock. Went to Szezcin in Poland for lunch, one Sunday. They insisted I paid for my steak in Euros, and they gave me change in Zlotys. I like a bit of long distance. It’s not a race, just endurance…
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle
Footwear Jeans Trousers Smile Happy
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
28 Posts
680 miles from Peckham, London, to Berlin. Crossed five countries in 9 hours. It was fun, in a slightly scary way… I was filming a movie in Potsdam for 6 weeks, couldn’t bear to be without wheels for that long. The bike was my ‘05 CBF600SA, which I still own, 194k on the clock. Went to Szezcin in Poland for lunch, one Sunday. They insisted I paid for my steak in Euros, and they gave me change in Zlotys. I like a bit of long distance. It’s not a race, just endurance… View attachment 114101 View attachment 114100 View attachment 114101
Sorry about the second and third pics… they snuck in 😬

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
To each their own. Some people enjoy touring by motorcycle, and some people only like to carve.
Yep. And near the end of a long road trip (mine often last 3-4 weeks and 12-15,000 km), some get an overwhelming urge to be home and do a high-mileage day. I know I'm not totally alone in this; a few of my pals have mentioned the same thing. On a normal cross-Canada trip, a normal day is anywhere from 400 to 800 km. But I've done final-day runs for home of 1,200 to 1,500 km on the slab, just because I was tired of riding and wanted to be home. Just a personal quirk. Since I normally ride alone, and avoid riding after dark whenever possible (lots of Big night-time wildlife here), the only competition is me against the sun.

Canada's a big place; just to cross the province of Ontario, where I live, is 2,100 km. We're used to long-distance riding.

·
Registered
84 Posts
To each their own. Some people enjoy touring by motorcycle, and some people only like to carve.
And some nutters like to set records!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
And here I am contemplating riding from Long Beach CA to the BMW MOA Rally in Springfield IL this coming June. In either 1 or 2 days. Touch over 1600 miles one way, basically following Route 66, but staying on the interstates. For a few nights of camping... I must be insane.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Some people enjoy touring by motorcycle, and some people only like to carve.
Indeed. I'm of the latter category... although that also involves lots of non-twisty riding (at least the way I have to do it). I always choose a 'base', like Kerrville for the THC, Marfa for Ft Davis/River Road/Big Bend, or Maggie Valley for the dragon/Cherohala/Blue Ridge, and do 3 to 5 day-rides from there, typically around 300 miles each, and less than half are actually twisties. But at least there're way more interesting highways and roads there, than freaking I-10 (ha ha). And also less than 100F. My issue is I can't stand heat, and having full gear on makes it 100 times worse, so riding like that is pure torture for me. And yes, that's with mesh gear and short boots. I tolerate the heat while there, since it's worth it, but not riding the bike to get there for hundreds (or even thousands) of miles. No way. So I guess I'm not a hard-core biker, but at least I consider myself one :).

As a final note, if I had somebody local to ride with (not anymore), maybe I'd do 4-5 day tours every once in a while. But touring alone on the bike is even less appealing to me. I don't mind riding alone (or groups of 1 or 2 of like-minded riders), but it's nice to have company once the riding day is over. My wife is not into riding at all, so if I want to do it, it has to be by myself. So that limits a lot what I'm willing to do. So far I ride with my cousin, but he lives in Miami, so it only happens once or twice a year at the most. And he just sold his 2nd bike, so this year I'll have to drive with mine (on new trailer) the 2K miles to get to Maggie Valley in June. And he'll do the same for Kerrville later in the year. I might go on my own to Big Bend early in the year, since it gets hot there sooner. We'll see :).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Basel to London, via Zurich. 814 miles in 14 hours, including ferry time across the channel & passport controls. That was a number of years ago, on a Kawasaki 1300/6 when you could get away with serious speeds on motorways. Those days are unhappily long gone! And that six had a real drinking problem when pushed hard.

Also did 964 miles on a 2001 Triumph Sprint ST - but didn't know it was 964 until the following morning when I checked mileage. Would have gone out for another 34 miles, just because.

Generally, I have absolutely zero interest in high mileages, a complete waste of time as far as I'm concerned, unless you have to be somewhere. I have a friend who has the two bottles of water on his mantlepiece - one from the Pacific, one from the Atlantic, part of an Iron Butt thing. Utterly pointless, to me.

My ideal day is now sub-250 all on twisties, allowing plenty of time to relax with friends at stops on the way.

·
Banned
0 Posts
didn't know it was 964 until the following morning when I checked mileage. Would have gone out for another 34 miles, just because.
Then you'd had ended up with 998 miles... and would had wished you had gone 2 more. Ha ha. Just messing with you. But for practical purposes, you DID 1K in my book :p.

And agree with the pointlessness of riding just for the sake of riding, especially those ultra long days that involve a lot of night riding. Not sure what those folks want to prove to themselves, or others. Any of us here could do that, if we really wanted to. My wife would tell me it's so stupid and risky to do that... and she'd be right. And pissed too. Ha ha. But to each his own, I guess.

Finally, I want to touch on a related point that somebody attacked me for (now ignored), without knowing how I ride, or my skill level. And that is the risks we take while riding. That depends on many things, like gear we wear, day of the week, day or night, weather, etc., but I'm going to focus on the riding ability part. A rider could be taking far less risks riding a curve at, let's say, 50 mph, than a less skilled rider at 35. If the former had clearance to spare, and negotiated the curve in his lane, while the latter drifted over the yellow line; Which one was riding safer? Obviously the former, even though he was riding faster. Similarly, same riders going 90 mph, but one on a wide open straight desert road, in the middle of the day, while the other at night, on a curvy road; Who was safer? Pretty obvious which one too, no? So riding at a certain pace (or speed), is not necessarily unsafe (although never completely safe either). To me, riding safe is riding with a margin of safety enough for your riding ability, AND the conditions, without taking unnecessary risks. And yes, we ALL have taken unnecessary risks in some form or another, like riding above our ability trying to keep up, making a stupid/risky pass, riding at night in deer country, etc. But the thing to remember is if we do any of that often, we'd eventually run out of luck. And want to close with this statement: Those who have never taken riding school, you don't know what you're missing. You owe it to yourself to do that, at least once. As a temporary substitute, you could also read a good book about sport riding, like the excellent Ienatsch one (Sport Riding Techniques). That'd allow you to ride at a higher pace safely, while enjoying motorcycling more, even if you never touch the track again. Hope this helps gang.

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
Can't recall exactly how many clicks but one year riding home from the Phillip Island MotoGP trip back to my home in Sydney left Sam Remo at 6:00 AM and made home at 12 ish midnight (18 hours).

Reactions: r0ckrat and Hndymn

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
For context, San Reno to Sydney is about 1000km minimum.
Correct @Panzermann (990km shortest route to my home) if we were sensible but as usual my mate and I made it more difficult (with the usual - how hard can that be attitude) and took a long way around including some high-country diversion to the route adding another 400/500km) to the trip. IMHO crazy especially after a full-on MotoGP weekend. To add to the enjoyment very humid conditions.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,410 Posts
… including some high-country diversion to the route adding another 400/500km) to the trip.
Only last night I was roughing out route options from the Sunny Coast for this year’s MotoGP and World SBK and wondering how hard to push it.
I’ll likely take the easy option of four days each way to provide additional diversity, unless pressed by other commitments on one side of either trip.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
Only last night I was roughing out route options from the Sunny Coast for this year’s MotoGP and World SBK and wondering how hard to push it.
I’ll likely take the easy option of four days each way to provide additional diversity, unless pressed by other commitments on one side of either trip.
A four-day option sounds like a much more enjoyable and less stressed way to go. I'm with you PZ.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
190 Posts
I've done 5 or 6 Iron But Association Saddle Sore 1000's. Longest was about 1100 miles I think.
Several were in conjunction with the Tour of Honor. A couple of ToH SS 1000 and a couple of ToH SS 1000 Extreems.
When I ride just to ride its usually around 300 miles. Stay safe!

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This trip to the rally I had one day that was 650 miles from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City through Santa Fe and the Texas panhandle. Shortest day was a little over 300 miles, most were 350-450 miles. The 650 day was mostly over 100f and low humidity until Oklahoma and it got dark and cooled to mid-80's with high humidity. That's the longest one-day with this bike so far, but stopped a lot most of the way for pictures on a scavenger hunt type thing.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts