BMW R1200R Forum banner

2081 - 2100 of 2126 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
TW200's ROCK! Nice choice DrD.
It was my first motorbike, still has the original tyres and still registered in my dad's name because I was 15 when I got it ;) Many fun times were had on it during my misspent youth.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Went on a beverage run..

12-pack of beer, 2 8-packs of Gatorade, 2 6-packs of soda, a 6-pack of something else, 2 gallons of milk, and a half gallon of half-n-half... :D Had to set the suspension for a passenger!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Installed the X-Head covers successfully this morning.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,582 Posts
Just got my MotoScan software installed and used my Unicarscan module I reset the service indicator successfully, just need to do the service now. Got the oil, filter and plugs mail order so just need to get on with it.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Just got my MotoScan software installed and used my Unicarscan module I reset the service indicator successfully, just need to do the service now. Got the oil, filter and plugs mail order so just need to get on with it.
What a coincidence - mine arrived a couple of days ago. OBDlink LX and adapter cable for the R (the R9T doesn't need the adapter). Like lots of apps, Motoscan is a bit arcane at first, but it works just fine. I even plugged it into my car just for fun, used it with the stock OBDlink app.

My R has been sitting for the better part of a year, for a variety of reasons, so I think I'll just change the oil/filter and hope to figure out somewhere I can go. Luckily, I live in a large province so no boundary crossings to navigate to actually go on a multi-day trip. I really wanted to go west to visit family, but with all the mandatory self-isolation orders, it'd take me until Hallowe'en to get anywhere.

Still working on a canoe rack for the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Replaced the valve clearance screw I stripped, somehow thought torque was 20 Nm instead of 8. Last week installed the new carriers with top case mounts. Tomorrow digital torque wrench arrives, trying to convert inch pounds to Nm was a pain, so hopefully get everything torqued and put back together so I can ride to work Saturday. Been almost two weeks waiting on parts since I buggered it up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
72 minus a hair, or 6 hashes... If each hash is 12 in lbs, isn't that 1 ft lb per hash? Or 5.9 ft lbs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
New front tire! I just bought my 07 R and the previous owner bought new tires, but only mounted the rear because he thought he could squeeze another 1000 miles out of the front tire. It was cupped and uneven and had zero grip. The new tire changed everything about how the bike handles. Why are some people willing to risk their safety over another 1000 miles? I have found that a lot of BMW riders cheap out when maintaining their bikes, what’s up with that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found that changing the brake fluid recently improved the lever take-up - not that I was on position four anyway, but it’s as it should be now.

I’m curious though as to what modification you made.
Hi @Panzermann sorry I have meant to do that for a while now, here is the guide from the Nine T forum, to be taken with a lot of care, as changing too much the screw length can lead to locking the brakes.

Cheers
Dave

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
Man, those rNineT guys are throrough, @ddecroix . I would have described the procedure in about five steps, and assumed the rest was intuitive – but then I've been warned by @Lawrence of Suburbia not to use that term in the same sentence as BMW. 😁

The caution on not taking out too much slack is important. I know more than one F800 owner has been caught out by reducing the play in the rear brake pedal too much. It seems OK initially, but on brake usage, the disc heats up and expands, taking up the pad clearance, causing more heat, more expansion, more friction and so on; with the vent hole blocked, fluid can't return to the master cylinder to allow the pads to move back in the caliper when the lever is released.

They're a bolshy lot, too ...

Reactions: ddecroix and mikeS

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Careful what you say, Pz, or it will be the salt mines for you! Even worse than the c~v Stalag 13 lockdowns in Victoria!...

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
I'm considering closing this thread (still available for reading).

The content ranges from idle chit chat about washing one's Roadster, through pictures of cats, to quite technical dissertations on maintenance/adjustment. The result is a very long thread (now at 105 pages!) with gems of information that might have been easier to find if they were posted under their own thread in the appropriate technical sub-forum.

What do forumers think?

Reactions: ddecroix

·
2,685 Posts
And let's give the flick to - Where did You go on your Roadster today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2081 - 2100 of 2126 Posts