BMW R1200R Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 2188 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Looking forward to fitting a shocktube.

The Puig rear hugger still leaves too much of a mess, I’d recommend an Avantguard instead.
Indeed, the AG Mudsling plus this little gem makes a proper rear fender.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They look good billy did you need to extend cables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I didnt extend anything. Just brought the clutch hydraulic line behind the top triple clamp instead of in front as was suggested in the Helibars instructions.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,985 Posts
mikeS said:
They look good billy did you need to extend cables?
_

Don’t tell me you don’t already have this farkle, @mikeS 😮

·
2,870 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'd forgotten I'd shot this when making the first cut on the Vstream...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thought about starting a new thread, for all of us to share what we have done to our bikes, "What have you done to your "R" today?"

I will start (this actually happened yesterday), ......

Gave her a much deserved Bath. :)
I have managed to totally screw up my Riding Modes! I spent an hour reading the manual and fiddling with it and it just made it really goofed up. The Modes, Preload, ESA are all out of synch. If there was just a way to make it Default again!
Crap, and I worked as a highly paid network geek for 15 years, like Mr F-ing TechSupport, and that thing has me in tears, blubbering like a defeated Luddite.

I'll come back in a day or two and beg for help. I can't take it right now!

·
5,985 Posts
I wish there was a 😅 response button rather than just ‘Like’. 😉

·
Registered
66 Posts
Last week I brought mine into the basement for a valve check and fluids flush. The other day, a Comfort seat from a forum mate arrived to finish an ergonomic re-arrangement along with peg lowering and bar risers. The new seat is an inch higher than the sport seat so my knees are going to be happier.
But today?.....I looked at it, longing for Spring already😬 I only managed about a thousand miles since acquiring it in late Sept., before bringing it in for a Winter service.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have managed to totally screw up my Riding Modes! I spent an hour reading the manual and fiddling with it and it just made it really goofed up. The Modes, Preload, ESA are all out of synch. If there was just a way to make it Default again!
Crap, and I worked as a highly paid network geek for 15 years, like Mr F-ing TechSupport, and that thing has me in tears, blubbering like a defeated Luddite.

Sounds like a lot of drama, moto-rama! This too Shall Pass! And then you'll love her all the more, just like make-up sex.

·
Registered
663 Posts

Go see Jeff at the S Shop in Pacifica. He'll get you set up right and he's close to you in northern Pacifica across from Oceana HS.

·
5,985 Posts
With cricket season now upon us (don’t mention Australia’s recent loss to India in the One Day series ...) I was prompted to examine the bat grip covers on the Panzer. They showed significant cracking and elasticity deterioration (unsurprisingly, after 18 months) so for the princely sum of A$7.95 I refreshed them with a new set.

My genuine Australian Kookaburra brand cricket grip arrived today so I cut it appropriately and fitted the two grip covers to the Panzer.

Fitting wasn’t too hard, once I got the knack (i.e. with the second grip). I rolled it onto a piece of smaller diameter tube then stretched it over the end and rolled it over the existing grip. The grips are claimed to ensure no mistimed shots; with these fitted I should be able to readily see off any English challengers.

I’d recommend fitting these rubber tubes before the original grips get too worn, as a prophylactic measure. The resultant diameter isn’t too large, and they are very grippy, which can reduce rider fatigue (especially for those who don’t have ride-by-wire and cruise control, i.e. non-LC).

Reactions: r0ckrat and mikeS

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just finished a 12k mile service, Yes!
Now I just have to wait 4 months until the snow melts in the yard so I can drive the bike out of the basement to the driveway and garage on the other side of the house.:cautious:

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
5,985 Posts
Ready to beg for help yet, moto-rama? I’ll throw you a bone anyway.

The first thing to understand is that the ESA is independent of the Riding modes, despite some common terminology (Road and Dynamic)

Riding modes link throttle response with ASC/DTC intervention levels. Rain has the softest throttle response, matched with the greatest ASC/DTC intervention and so on, with Dynamic Riding mode having the least ASC/DTC intervention (theoretically allowing a modicum of rear wheel drift under hard acceleration while the bike is cranked over). Road is in between.

User riding mode simply allows you to select a different combination of the preset throttle responses and the preset ASC/DTC intervention levels (they have the same identifying term). For example, my User mode setting is Road throttle response with Dynamic ASC/DTC - so the throttle isn’t too sensitive, but the ASC/DTC doesn’t intervene too early for my taste. Setting up User mode is the only setting you need to go into the menus for. I suspect the default for User mode is Road throttle response and Road ASC/DTC. Dynamic and User Riding modes are only available with the Pro riding modes option.

You can toggle through the Riding modes while riding by tapping the Mode button on the RH controls - once you set the mode you want, close the throttle momentarily to save the setting.

ASC/DTC and ABS can be fully disabled via the labelled rocker switch on the LH control - holding it down until the ABS warning light appears, then release. This can be done on the move. Same action for switching the ASC/DTC. Same again to switch them back on. They’ll return to default ‘on’ at next ignition cycle.

On the 1200 the ESA is independent of the Riding modes, and adjustments must be made with the engine running (and stationary to change load setting). (On the 1250, though, the ASC/DTC is linked to the Riding Mode, Dynamic with Dynamic, and Road with Road/Rain, although can be toggled with a double tap of the suspension rocker switch.)

There are two ESA modes that can be set on-the-fly by double tapping the shock absorber marked rocker switch on the left. Road is softer damped while Dynamic stiffens the damping both ends and also raises the preload at the rear a little to sharpen the steering response. Unless the road is choppy, my default is to ride with the ESA set to Dynamic - the rear is a bit wallowy under stress when on Road, and cornering clearance is reduced. These two settings overlay whatever rear spring preload load setting you have selected.

Adjusting the load setting requires the bike to be stationary with the engine running (and preferably without rider/passenger aboard, to reduce stress on the ESA drive, in particular when cold) - then press and hold the shock absorber rocker switch until the display blinks, release then tap until you reach your desired load. The base setting is rider only (one helmet), then an additional luggage symbol for rider with luggage, then two helmets for two-up with luggage. Damping is also adjusted automatically according to the load setting.

I find the preload for two-up to be too great for my lithe pillion, preferring rider plus luggage, combined with Dynamic ESA.

Of course if you upgraded to a 1250 when I wasn’t looking, it’s a whole new ball game. As noted above, setting the Ride Mode also sets the ESA mode, but you can readily toggle to the other ESA mode with a double tap of the suspension rocker switch.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Recovered my Rick Meyer seat and added a heating element:

New Seat.jpg

😁
Heat Switch.jpg

Heated grips and a heated seat! Eat your heart out RT riders. 😁

Stay safe and happy holidays to all.

🕎💗🎅

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nice seat Filterfool. Did you add the heating element yourself or had it done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Got 2 new road5 tires put on my wheels in Albuquerque. Total was $153.00. Labor, tax, recycling fee on the old tires. Not sure why wheels off cycle mounting costs twice what car shops for doing the job “wheels on”, but new rubber will be nice.
My tire history:
New bike ..Metzelers
Next...Michelin Road 4
Then...Michelin Road 5
Now...Road 5s again mounted @ 56,000 miles

·
5,985 Posts
Total was $153.00
Surely a typo? In Australia, the equivalent A$200 would buy you a fitted front Road 5, no more. A$500 if you want both front and rear.

Reactions: mikeS
2141 - 2160 of 2188 Posts