BMW R1200R Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 2225 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
418 Posts
Happy dance! I took a big box out to the shed to show it to my R.

Been waiting since July, I might have mentioned.
They come in a nifty bag

And the quality looks like I dreamt it would

The front fender is the S1000XR "long" or extended unit that ilmberger says will fit with possible minor screw hole grinding. Already losing light, and didn't have a chance to wire the shed before winter, so hope to install at least the front this weekend. The down legs have a little hump that isn't on the R fender, but being carbon, instead of white I don't think it will standout really. And here is a comparison to stock, looks at least as long as a stock with extender. Super happy so far.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,221 Posts
Aren’t you glad BMW moved away from Telelever for the Roadster ... 😄

Reactions: Pale Roadster

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
418 Posts
Aren’t you glad BMW moved away from Telelever for the Roadster ... 😄
I'd pay good money for them to put the front end off a K1200R on it actually, being different is a big attraction for me, and better, worse or equal, at least telelever stood out.

I also would appreciate if they would go back to the old timey concept of fenders being there to keep road grit closer to the road than to every surface on the bike and rider. . .

And get off my damn lawn before I have to tell you how a loaf of bread used to cost a nickel, and end up having to explain to my kid's friends what a nickel is. . .

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
418 Posts
Here is the front on the bike

I had to grind the screw holes as the screws have a shoulder that wouldn't quite fit. I knew better but the hole only needed to be increased a little so o tried the first one with a drill bit, definitely stick to a carbide burr ina dremel. It ended up OK but, covered by the screwhead the hole is pretty oval on the one spot. One side is very close to the fork, but does seem to have adequate clearance. It is, if being picky very slightly cocked to one side and I my shim it later to adjust, but it's barely noticeable. It is also tight to the tire on the back edge, I will have to watch to see if wind pressure creates additional clearance or makes it rub.

It's easy to see the extra coverage and the quality and appearance are top notch. If I were designing it, I would have it be fuller width and another 6" longer. But, it is way better than the stock parody of a fender.

Now on to the rear, and to finish up my new peg mounts to maintain the drop while eliminating the way the current offerings push them outwards. And I might redo my mirror offsets as I found my winter gear makes the ones I already made too small again. Never ends.

·
6,221 Posts
Now that on integrating my phone better with the Nav VI with Garmin Smartlink, I’ve added a USB charging outlet to the Nav mount to keep the phone charged on longer jaunts.

No fancy brand, just a cheapo from eBay, but it does the job. I made up a bracket to run under the right rear mounting rubber, and gave it a spray with some metallic silver I had on hand to match nearby fittings.

Thanks @mikeS for the Smartlink tip. 👍

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
418 Posts
Well that was a dawdle, thinking back to taking half my 81 Wing apart to do a rear tire everytime, on a bike I put 160,000 miles on, had me apprehensive about it. Pulling the rear tire was super easy, barely an inconvenience. I did confirm my darkest suspicions about BMW and they're perverse Germanic fetish with Torx fasteners. They mixed Torx, and Torx Plus. That is some next level malignant ass evil right there. I thought those commie metric bastards liked standardization? Anyway, Ilmberger included two fasteners with reduced heads for clearance on the wheel side, but didn't mention it in the instructions.

It's easy to see how they are needed. None of the fasteners go to the pivot point like the problematic cheaper huggers. Once the wheel was off and the correct drivers selected, like 5 minute job. Pretty hard to resist torquing the lugs to the American standard (tighter'n hell and two more twists) or even the old German standby (Gootentiten) but I resisted, man 44ft/lbs feels inadequate. I may convert it to studs if I can find ball seat nuts of the correct size, never liked lug bolts, with the feather light wheel/tire package not too big a deal though. The 35" Swampers on my truck mounted and balanced are 106# each, wouldn't want to hold them in place while starting lug bolts.

Here are some process shots, and finished pics too. It is asymmetrical like the swingarm, but I think it is sitting correctly, no rubbing anyway.

Here you can see the new bolts holding the mount. (Just barely)

Seeing it with the muffler off makes me more motivated to get a smaller muffler on there. Thinking now about a Supertrapp race muffler with their disc system on the back.

The Ilmberger stuff sure is beautiful, I'm lusting for a few more pieces now. Will advise when I know how much effect the new fenders have on keeping the bike cleaner.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
OK, on my GS, but...
getting ready for a ride to and around Arkansas this week, weather looks perfect (at this time). So, I had XM for years on my bikes, two roadsters and now the GS. Decided I was going to try just routing sirius through my phone. Got a Quadlock with vibration control, mounted my Samsung Note 9 on the GPS bar (yes, the GS has that) next to my Garmin 665. Tested it for a few weeks, and sirius via the phone doesn't work as well as through the Garmin, but close enough--and it's FREE through the phone.
Today I did a Garmin "antennectomy" and no longer have the LARGE Garmin antenna mounted on my topbox. I also removed the wiring for it and the wiring leftover from when I was young and foolish and needed a valentine One on the bike. Also got rid of some wiring for sound that is no longer needed since I have Sena and bluetooth.
Also, swapped out my usual Pelican 1450 topbox for the bigger 1520.
So, just some housekeeping, but the girl is ready to roll

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
418 Posts
After about 45 minutes in light snow, sleet/freezing rain, then heavy snow on the highway from 58 - 85 mph just after they had sanded/salted (luckily) I feel both front and back ilmberger fenders were pretty successful. Remember in the photos some of the mess in the front was from the mist lifted by the semi trucks, even the backs of the mirrors were heavily coated in sandy salt slime.

You can't see the fender, but it is actually the S1000XR extended length unit from ilmberger they recommended it, I had to slightly dremel the holes for the R bolts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can't remember if I posted this or not. It's the motodemic LED headlight I treated my classic boxer to last week.

Sure lights up my walk-out door. Sadly, there's saturated ground with ice underneath it between the door and the driveway plus a slight incline....😬

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just finished the Soundbomb (split) install - pretty clean and fits in there nicely - much better than I had expected. I'm leaving the air hose long for now so I can cut it off later after I'm sure everything works. Now just looking for the Cansmart cable and I should be able to "light up" anyone whose attention I am desiring at the moment. Anyone foresee any problems with placement?

Ron

Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Swapped out the mirrors, one of my lollipops took a whack in the garage and I never liked them anyways. I feel these new ones go better with the lines of the bike. I had a pair of wunderlich mirror mounting extenders from a gs that allowed for the bulkier stem.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
292 Posts
In preparation for my first ride of the year, which I'm going to take in about a half-hour, as soon as my phone gets a bit more charge in it, I finally installed my Puig Sport Shield in Light Smoke Tint that I bought late last year. Very easy installation. It replaces the OEM Sport Shield (the flyscreen-sized one), and I think the extra 4(ish) inches of height will take care of the bottom-of-helmet air noise that old screen was throwing at me with precise focus...I'll know in the next hour. I like that while it's a bit taller, it's still small and relatively unobtrusive to the naked profile of the bike. I also installed the Speedo Angels TFT Screen Protector in Ultra Clear tempered glass -- again, super easy installation. Here are a couple pics of the Puig screen, in case anyone else is considering this particular one...pardon the crappy garage lighting:

·
2,949 Posts
Just finished the Soundbomb (split) install - pretty clean and fits in there nicely - much better than I had expected. I'm leaving the air hose long for now so I can cut it off later after I'm sure everything works. Now just looking for the Cansmart cable and I should be able to "light up" anyone whose attention I am desiring at the moment. Anyone foresee any problems with placement?

Ron

Ron View attachment 110545 View attachment 110544
I installed a split Soundbomb air horn on my ‘17 LC in the same locations - three years and still going strong and one of the best farkles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
Took the opportunity presented by the long-running, err, 'somewhat inclement' weather (!) here in Sydney to:

a) finally remove the OEM Nav GPS cradle;
b) install a Quad-lock phone mount in its place;
c) install a USB charger port for the phone;
d) change out the OEM Merit plug to one that can run my heated vest and/or be a 'plug 'n play' charging port for the battery without enraging the Gods of Canbus;
e) install my Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag. Along with the copious useful storage capability, it also has an inbuilt 1.5 litre drinking water bladder. I have found having ice-cold water readily accessible while on the move to be an absolute game-changer, especially in really hot conditions here in 'Shtray'ya.

This 'project' also gave me the opportunity to learn how to remove both the RH tank side panels and air intake nozzle. I'll share that experience in a separate thread. Like most things, somewhat intimidating if you don't know how, but now I've done it, its a piece of cake.

The OCD forces raging within demanded I keep all wiring in the dashboard area as wiring as neat and as inconspicuous as possible and all other wiring properly installed, and protected from chaffing. So I ran the USB cable itself down the hole in the centre of the steering stem and out the bottom. I installed the USB plug for it just to the RH side of the steering head. In the image below, it is the large black block connector with the checkerboard molded pattern on the side. You can see the excess USB cable length wrapped neatly around the OEM ribbed wiring loom.

Used the wiring channel on the RH side of the bike (thank you Panzerman yet again for that heads up!) to run the USB plug wiring down to the rear of the bike for connection to my custom-made wiring connection to the battery

In the image below, the end of the thick red wire is poking out from the front of the channel. I used this wire as a draw wire to pull my USB socket wiring through from front to rear of the bike. Easy-pezy.

And below you can see the red draw wire extending out and over the top of the rearward end of the channel and disappearing out of frame at top left of the image. Note the flat black cover on the wiring channel has been unclipped along its length and raised up slightly to give me more 'wiggle room'. This is done by undoing 3 plastic clips running along the side of the channel - one at the front, one halfway along and the last one is at the rear (as shown in the image below).

Removed the RH OEM Merrit socket but left it connected under the seat. Installed my own merit plug in the now vacant hole and it now uses the same power feed directly from the battery as my USB connection.

I was not happy leaving the tall OEM special handlebar mounting bracket bolts used on the GPS cradle (shown below on the left) as the height did not leave much clearance between the top of the bolts and the underside of my phone. So I purchased 4x 8mm x 30mm stainless steel Torx head bolts from eBay. Only AU$12 (came in a bag of 5 bolts) with free shipping delivered to my door in 48 hrs. Happy days.

Shorter bolts look much mo' better. Now just need some reasonable weather so I can get out and enjoy my new and improved amenities.

LH & RH lower frame mountings for the Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag that remain on the bike once the tank bag is removed. Each side is secured by 2x cable ties (supplied by Mosko Moto) and look fairly discrete and don't get in the way at all.

Map holder included installed...

Below showing the versatile MOLLE (MOdular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) webbing used by the military that is used on many Mosko Moto products. Many different storage items/packages are available online that use the MOLLE system to easily secure all sorts of equipment.

·
6,221 Posts
Good job, @herdygerdy. I’m just wondering where you’ve hidden any dirt/grime on your bike ...

Re removing tank panels, there’s a detailed thread on here that also talks about which screws go where (noting there are three different shoulder lengths).

Reactions: mikeS

·
2,949 Posts
I thought for a second you mounted a set of bagpipes on your tank there HG... Just kidding . Nice work and good use of the downtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had ABS Pro and Hill Start Control added to my 2015 LC the other day. These were both software based upgrades only as no physical hardware was needed.

The ABS Pro was done strictly as a safety enhancement (obviously) to help ensure I make it home to the wife and 3 little ones, and because I plan on keeping this bike for many years yet to come - at least until the price on lightly used shift-cam 1250 bikes starts coming down more.

The Hill Start was more of an unexpected benefit of doing the former, and a bit of a luxury item to be sure - certainly nothing "needed" as I've never had an issue holding the bike in place on my own, or with pulling away from a stop on steep inclines. I learned to drive on a manual at about age 13 so it is second nature really. The tech that checked the bike for ABS Pro compatibility suggested enabling this piece too since it also was compatible, and I must say I'm glad he did. It is definitely a pretty cool feature to have available.

The only other thing I've done very recently was to finally SELL the ol' 2007 H-D Softail that I had begun to "lovingly" refer to as the (very noisy) Slug after riding the R12R around for a while. This sale will ensure all of my available maintenance and upgrades dollars go to the RIGHT place, and also that the R12R gets the most saddle time possible. The H-D was truly a beautiful bike, meticulously maintained, and fetched a price higher than I paid for the '15 R12R, and in less than a week on the market. This sale was actually much harder to do (emotionally) than I had anticipated - I ended up sending the prospective buyer away the first day he visited (after he made a nearly full asking price offer) as I felt I needed to sleep on it to be sure I really wanted to complete the deal. I then took the H-D for another ride over to my parents' house and talked H-D engine upgrades (big bore kits, cams, etc) and other bike stuff with the senior Mr. & Mrs. P., to which their (and my) initial impression was that I was not ready to be rid of it yet. Then I rode it home, taking mental note of all the things I wasn't crazy about on the way, some of them I had already invested lots of money into improving (such as front and rear suspension components). By the time I went to bed that evening, I was ready to do the deal. I texted the buyer with a request to make the price an even $10K, he agreed, and I delivered it to him the next day, meeting at the bank to receive the cashier's check directly from the teller. Now that it's done, I am quite happy to be rid of it and look forward to many more years on the BMW! This bike is truly brilliant in so many ways!!

2181 - 2200 of 2225 Posts