BMW R1200R Forum banner

2181 - 2188 of 2188 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
319 Posts
Happy dance! I took a big box out to the shed to show it to my R.

Been waiting since July, I might have mentioned.
They come in a nifty bag

And the quality looks like I dreamt it would

The front fender is the S1000XR "long" or extended unit that ilmberger says will fit with possible minor screw hole grinding. Already losing light, and didn't have a chance to wire the shed before winter, so hope to install at least the front this weekend. The down legs have a little hump that isn't on the R fender, but being carbon, instead of white I don't think it will standout really. And here is a comparison to stock, looks at least as long as a stock with extender. Super happy so far.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,970 Posts
Aren’t you glad BMW moved away from Telelever for the Roadster ... 😄

Reactions: Pale Roadster

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
319 Posts
Aren’t you glad BMW moved away from Telelever for the Roadster ... 😄
I'd pay good money for them to put the front end off a K1200R on it actually, being different is a big attraction for me, and better, worse or equal, at least telelever stood out.

I also would appreciate if they would go back to the old timey concept of fenders being there to keep road grit closer to the road than to every surface on the bike and rider. . .

And get off my damn lawn before I have to tell you how a loaf of bread used to cost a nickel, and end up having to explain to my kid's friends what a nickel is. . .

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
319 Posts
Here is the front on the bike

I had to grind the screw holes as the screws have a shoulder that wouldn't quite fit. I knew better but the hole only needed to be increased a little so o tried the first one with a drill bit, definitely stick to a carbide burr ina dremel. It ended up OK but, covered by the screwhead the hole is pretty oval on the one spot. One side is very close to the fork, but does seem to have adequate clearance. It is, if being picky very slightly cocked to one side and I my shim it later to adjust, but it's barely noticeable. It is also tight to the tire on the back edge, I will have to watch to see if wind pressure creates additional clearance or makes it rub.

It's easy to see the extra coverage and the quality and appearance are top notch. If I were designing it, I would have it be fuller width and another 6" longer. But, it is way better than the stock parody of a fender.

Now on to the rear, and to finish up my new peg mounts to maintain the drop while eliminating the way the current offerings push them outwards. And I might redo my mirror offsets as I found my winter gear makes the ones I already made too small again. Never ends.

·
Registered
2011 R1200R
20 Posts
installed arrow exhaust slip-on. i tried to upload before and after soundbites - apparently that is not allowed

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,970 Posts
Now that on integrating my phone better with the Nav VI with Garmin Smartlink, I’ve added a USB charging outlet to the Nav mount to keep the phone charged on longer jaunts.

No fancy brand, just a cheapo from eBay, but it does the job. I made up a bracket to run under the right rear mounting rubber, and gave it a spray with some metallic silver I had on hand to match nearby fittings.

Thanks @mikeS for the Smartlink tip. 👍

Reactions: Pale Roadster

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
319 Posts
Well that was a dawdle, thinking back to taking half my 81 Wing apart to do a rear tire everytime, on a bike I put 160,000 miles on, had me apprehensive about it. Pulling the rear tire was super easy, barely an inconvenience. I did confirm my darkest suspicions about BMW and they're perverse Germanic fetish with Torx fasteners. They mixed Torx, and Torx Plus. That is some next level malignant ass evil right there. I thought those commie metric bastards liked standardization? Anyway, Ilmberger included two fasteners with reduced heads for clearance on the wheel side, but didn't mention it in the instructions.

It's easy to see how they are needed. None of the fasteners go to the pivot point like the problematic cheaper huggers. Once the wheel was off and the correct drivers selected, like 5 minute job. Pretty hard to resist torquing the lugs to the American standard (tighter'n hell and two more twists) or even the old German standby (Gootentiten) but I resisted, man 44ft/lbs feels inadequate. I may convert it to studs if I can find ball seat nuts of the correct size, never liked lug bolts, with the feather light wheel/tire package not too big a deal though. The 35" Swampers on my truck mounted and balanced are 106# each, wouldn't want to hold them in place while starting lug bolts.

Here are some process shots, and finished pics too. It is asymmetrical like the swingarm, but I think it is sitting correctly, no rubbing anyway.

Here you can see the new bolts holding the mount. (Just barely)

Seeing it with the muffler off makes me more motivated to get a smaller muffler on there. Thinking now about a Supertrapp race muffler with their disc system on the back.

The Ilmberger stuff sure is beautiful, I'm lusting for a few more pieces now. Will advise when I know how much effect the new fenders have on keeping the bike cleaner.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
OK, on my GS, but...
getting ready for a ride to and around Arkansas this week, weather looks perfect (at this time). So, I had XM for years on my bikes, two roadsters and now the GS. Decided I was going to try just routing sirius through my phone. Got a Quadlock with vibration control, mounted my Samsung Note 9 on the GPS bar (yes, the GS has that) next to my Garmin 665. Tested it for a few weeks, and sirius via the phone doesn't work as well as through the Garmin, but close enough--and it's FREE through the phone.
Today I did a Garmin "antennectomy" and no longer have the LARGE Garmin antenna mounted on my topbox. I also removed the wiring for it and the wiring leftover from when I was young and foolish and needed a valentine One on the bike. Also got rid of some wiring for sound that is no longer needed since I have Sena and bluetooth.
Also, swapped out my usual Pelican 1450 topbox for the bigger 1520.
So, just some housekeeping, but the girl is ready to roll

2181 - 2188 of 2188 Posts