BMW R1200R Forum banner
2241 - 2253 of 2253 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
How did you crack the Sport screen, @mikeS? (Did Nigel get catty and scratch it?)
Think the screen took a wack from a rock flicked up by 4WD on my GOR trip. I haven't shown Nigel the touring screen yet but I reckon he’ll have a hissy-fit that I've mess with his design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Took LC out for a touring screen Nigel-Scoop test run and the vibration was horrible. I was stumped, but when I got home, I found the bottom edge of the screen resting on the camera housing. A quick dismantle and a small cut out around the housing rectified the issue.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,509 Posts
... a small cut out around the housing rectified the issue
You didn’t think to simply shorten the camera mounting posts a tad at the bottom? 🤔

Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
You didn’t think to simply shorten the camera mounting posts a tad at the bottom?
I didn't feel like messing with the camera placement and as the camera housing height is a nightmare to align and the cabling route/length is just how I want it. That whole dashcam install was so fiddly and I wasn't about to open a can of worms.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I replaced the kickstand safety switch. On my ride on Sunday, I got a little too adventurous taking what I thought a well-graded gravel road but it ending up being a goat track. Long story short
I damaged the switch. While I was at it, I thought I would bolt on a Wunderlich switch protector.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Fitted an OEM 30 Liter top case. Instead of the BMW lid factory colour options, I went for the factory primed version. I had my spray painter colour match Thunder Grey. I am very happy with how it turned out.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,509 Posts
Nice job, Mike. 💪

Just wondering, though – do you get out on the skateboard much? How about a ride report ...

Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Not mine PZ, but I could ask you know who for a ride report

·
Registered
521 Posts
Did the 12k me service today. Changed oil, final drive oil, checked brakes etc. and checked valves. Plugs looked great so left them in. Now I just need to get the indicator reset, and my adapter cable is apparently not right. :(

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Started out as minor (oil change, some leftover service items from 24K like air filter which I hate to change, etc.) but a screwdriver in the rear tire gave me some time to do more. Had time on my hands.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,230 Posts
Your mechanic shows some real artistry.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
521 Posts
A couple of weeks back I did the 12k mile service. I have the Machine Art Moto valve cover guards on my 2016. After finishing up, I rode the bike home, then back to the shop where I did the service (friend owns a shop and let me use his space) to go for a ride. On firing up to leave on the ride the left cover started leaking. That damn bolt that MAM uses had snapped. No it wasn't overtightened - I made that mistake the first time and had to buy a new bolt. So I contacted the company, told them what had happened, and they sent me two of their newer, improved bolts... Replaced the one that popped yesterday.

So, if you have the earlier (pre-2021) 2015+ valve cover guards and haven't swapped the bolts for the improved version, be aware that they might snap on their own...

·
Registered
252 Posts
I must have the newer stock as I bought them in 2017 and haven’t had that issue. Glad you had it sorted.

2241 - 2253 of 2253 Posts