BMW R1200R Forum banner
2281 - 2300 of 2318 Posts

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
3D printed a mount for my camera controls, angled so I can see it. The base is held in place by 8 x 8mm x 3mm neodymium magnets - sticks in place quite firmly but can be lifted off removed for maintenance.
Very clever! 👌

·
Registered
2012 R1200R
69 Posts
Put the 1200R away for the winter. Washed, waxed, and a conditioner on all the plastic. Oil & filter changed, gas tank filled and treated with stabilizer. I took all the bags inside to make a little more room in the garage. I also took the seat inside as well, it helps to prevent the vinyl from drying and cracking in the cold, also discourages mice from nesting underneath the seat. I'll continue riding on the V Strom until the snow and salt arrive.

Reactions: GenlJuba

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
58 Posts
As the temps dropped over the weekend, did a full spray and wipe down with ACF50 before the salt hits the roads here. Fitted new v2 MAM handguards as well to keep the windchill at bay. And swapped the oem headlight bulbs for Philips GT200s.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Adjusted the front camera so that both the fender and steering damper show, so I think it's good for now. Here's a short sample (camera saves every 2-3 minutes).

Good resolution on your system. I've had my Innovv K2 on my LC for nearly 2 years now and it's twice now once with an insurance claim and the other when a truck driver tried to run me off the road. There's more to this incident before this clip but you can get the gist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
58 Posts
Fitted the Wunderlich bracket to reposition my Quadlock wireless charger above the TFT. Very happy with the robust steel mount which also acts as a screen support. Now GoogleMaps sits where it should, and looks far better than hanging off the mirror mount like a Deliveroo food delivery courier! Upside is that the drinks holder is now where it needs to be too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
79 Posts
Fitted the Wunderlich bracket to reposition my Quadlock wireless charger above the TFT. ... Now GoogleMaps sits where it should....
Yes, that's definitely the best position possible. I was trying to find that for my K27 with sportscreen. But there really is not enough space available behind the shield for this.I am hoping to run into a used higher screen one of these days. Then I will reconsider the mounting of my phone.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Fitted the lead for my heated gloves and vest. Now this weekend I can be toasty warm heading over Ortega Hwy on my way to visit my mom where she will be camping in the Anzo-Borrego N.P.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I made a heat shield for the left pannier to protect it from the exhaust heat. I am fitting panniers from a K1300GT that does not come with a heat shield.

The metal is from a cut off piece of stainless steel chimney pipe that was left over from when I installed our fire place.

This is what the OEM heat shield looks like.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

This is my DIY version.
Automotive tire Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Tread

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
58 Posts
Nice fabrication, but I would have thought that aluminium would be a better material for a heat shield, rather than steel? Steel has a very low thermal conductivity compared to aluminium, one of the highest.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I made a heat shield for the left pannier to protect it from the exhaust heat. I am fitting panniers from a K1300GT that does not come with a heat shield.
You did a great job.
Will you modify the K1300GT bags to fit your R1200R?
If that's what you're doing I hope you post more pictures in the future.
I've never noticed a heat problem on the exhaust side pannier on our R1200RS or R1250RS bikes.
Have others had a problem with this?

Reactions: GenlJuba

·
Registered
501 Posts
Looks like I'm confused. It happens a lot :)
The exhaust on my K1300S was on the right side.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I used my heated gear today, which warmed up the fuse housing for my power lead to all my other accessories, which then failed, so that's what I did to it today. Now need to run a new, heavier lead, with a better fuse....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
You did a great job.
Will you modify the K1300GT bags to fit your R1200R?
If that's what you're doing I hope you post more pictures in the future.
I've never noticed a heat problem on the exhaust side pannier on our R1200RS or R1250RS bikes.
Have others had a problem with this?
Thanks Lee. The K1300GT exhaust is also on the right side, but there is no need for a heat shield as the silencer is long enough to expel the heat gasses past the point where it will become a problem for the pannier.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

The exhaust on the R1200R was also longer on the Hexhead models but with the Camhead they made it shorter. With the shorter exhaust I recall on my previous R that you could see the exhaust gas residue building up on the heat shield.
Hexhead with long exhaust.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Camhead with shorter exhaust
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Automotive fuel system

As for the panniers, no modifications or changes are needed, BMW used the same type of panniers on the R1200R, R1200RT, R1200ST and K1300GT (model year dependant). The only other thing I will do is to spray paint them.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
146 Posts
I mounted a set of Barkbuster VPR handgaurds. What a big difference such a low tech modification can make.
I was a bit apprehensive about it, fearing they would change the air flow in a negative way.
Not only does it reduce the air flow to my hands, it changed the air flow to the point I feel less on my upper torso. Which is a good thing. Glad I did it. 👍

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
234 Posts
I mounted a set of Barkbuster VPR handgaurds. What a big difference such a low tech modification can make.
I was a bit apprehensive about it, fearing they would change the air flow in a negative way.
Not only does it reduce the air flow to my hands, it changed the air flow to the point I feel less on my upper torso. Which is a good thing. Glad I did it. 👍
photos, please!

2281 - 2300 of 2318 Posts