BMW R1200R Forum banner
2301 - 2318 of 2318 Posts

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
146 Posts
Looks pretty good!
Thanks. It may be my imagination, but like I said, seems to have redirected the air flow away from my upper torso also. Kinda strange. 😶

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
234 Posts
Well, it is easy enough to check :) take the plastics off, and go for a spin.

Reactions: Breacher

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
Looks pretty good!
Other than the huge Barkbuster branding. They have other models such as Storm and Carbon that are somewhat more subdued in this respect.

Reactions: Breacher

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
79 Posts
Finally did the DIY radiator-protector thing. That really was a 10 minute thing... :whistle:

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust
Product Textile Tool Office supplies Luggage and bags

I ordered this from Ali for it:
aliexpress.com/item/33027881713.html
More for the looks then for real protection though, I think.
I have bended the mesh around the corners. It can't move down because of those 2 small mountting feet that connect to the bottom of the radiator. And for the rest it is more or less snug between the cover and the radiator.

I can probably do 5 more 😁
So, anyone with a R1200R in my neighborhood (Limburg Netherlands), can come visit for a piece, in trade of just one bottle of Belgium Specialty beer of choice.

·
6,898 Posts
Grille Hood Carbon Bumper Automotive exterior

I did a similar DIY for my F800 years back but with a piece of SS mesh that @Lawrence of Suburbia kindly sent me. Very stiff/strong and it looked like a grille from an old English sports car.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's a nice looking mesh! Makes mine looks cheap (what it indeed was...). But even then it can;t beat something given 😊

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
79 Posts
Been doing some small paintjobs this weekend:
White Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

This plastic top case rack was heavily damaged, and ugly.
2 layers of plastic primer, 3 layers of aluminium spray and 2 layers of varnish later it looks quite new and metalish.
Just need to score a new 27mm BMW emblem.
Blue Input device Automotive design Fender Peripheral
Bicycle part Tool Font Automotive exterior Kitchen utensil

This Puig hugger I obtained from a motorcycle dump. It was an all-black version, and the plastic part had this cheap semi-shiny no-structure-whatsoever look.
I found some bumper-structure-effect-paint and sprayed 3 layers from a large distance. after that 2 layers of varnish.
The alu mount received the same treatment as the rack above.

I must say I am quite pleased with the result of this amateur paint-job 👌

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice, logo also very nice!
Do you plan to put some protection on the bottom and lower side? In my experience, when you open the lid, it scratches against the floor.
I might take on the job of painting my black sidecases in the color of my bike (Light Gray Metallic). Not sure yet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice, logo also very nice!
Do you plan to put some protection on the bottom and lower side? In my experience, when you open the lid, it scratches against the floor.
I might take on the job of painting my black sidecases in the color of my bike (Light Gray Metallic). Not sure yet.
Thanks. No I am not planning to put any protection. I actually listed the panniers for sale today, that will have to be a consideration for the new owner. For now they are stored away to keep them in good condition.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
146 Posts
Damn good job. I had no idea they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks. No I am not planning to put any protection. I actually listed the panniers for sale today, that will have to be a consideration for the new owner. For now they are stored away to keep them in good condition.
Oh, why fixing them so nice if you want to get rid of them?

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
58 Posts
Added a windscreen lip/splitter yesterday. It was dark, so no pictures yet, but it just one of the roughly $30 USD items available on Amazon. Trying to resolve a bit of helmet-shake at higher freeway speeds (above 75 mph.)

This item: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L59965N/
It looks like a replica of the MRA X-Screen Tour version which I use with the oem sportscreen/flyscreen. I’m 5’10” and find it’s a good combo to minimise buffeting and keep wind off the chest. Hope you have as good results as I found!

·
6,898 Posts
@r0ckrat - the turbulence could be caused by wind spill from your mirrors. Angle them back as far as practicable and see if there’s any difference.
To solve this with the MRA Vario Sport screen I use for touring/winter, I went to the trouble of fitting aftermarket GS equivalent mirrors, which have a shorter vertical part on the stems.

2301 - 2318 of 2318 Posts