BMW R1200R Forum banner
2381 - 2400 of 2437 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
This piece is neat. I had to make cutouts to access the fastening bolts on the OEM luggage mounting brackets. I couldn’t get the mud guard above the mounting bracket cross bar without loosening the bolts and dropping the brackets.
On our 1200 and 1250 bikes I did not have to drill any holes or cut the mud guard.
I did not need to loosen the pannier mounts to remove the original piece or slide in the mud guard.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Is the spray coming over the top of the box from the rear, or out from the sides of the wheel area? (lower legs, or back of the helmet getting dirty?)

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I rode in heavy rain today with BMW wide mudguard, and honestly can't tell how much difference this has made, it is hard to say. Still get some overspray under the Givi top box, probably less now. I primarily installed this to give my pillion a little bit more protection from elements, should we get caught in a rain. To eliminate "rooster tail" completely I would either need to buy an RT LOL, need to get a GS-type mud-guard or extend this wide mudguard 46628543348 similar to what @Lee F did on his bike. We'll see.
This piece completes the rear fender.

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
399 Posts
Is the spray coming over the top of the box from the rear, or out from the sides of the wheel area? (lower legs, or back of the helmet getting dirty?)
Givi V47 top box is blocking the remainder of the overspray, so the majority of dirt/water is coming from the back wheel, where a GS mud-flap would probably eliminate it. I think the BMW wide mud-flap 46628543348 gives just a bit of extra protection for the pillion seat area.

There is some dirt on the sides as well, in the area of the passenger foot rests and on the drive shaft. I think there is just too much of the rear wheel exposed to block the water/dirt completely without creating a DIY skirt of some sort or a extended tire hugger. After all, R1250R is a naked bike, so there is just so much one can do to block the water and dirt from spraying everywhere.

Few photos below show the results after riding in heavy rain with OEM BMW wide mud-flap 46628543348 and MudSling. This is on public metropolitan roads, some highway and city-streets. NYC steers could really use a good wash after the winter...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I’m amazed you got that license plate in NY. Since I moved from New England to Nevada 33 years ago, there has been no rain. Just wind and dust.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I’m amazed you got that license plate in NY. Since I moved from New England to Nevada 33 years ago, there has been no rain. Just wind and dust.
Imagine my surprise and excitement, when I decided to try various combinations of custom MC license plates on NY DMV website in the middle of the night...

Reactions: r0ckrat and Dougl

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discovered that a fender bolt was missing, while giving Beatrix a contactless wash after today’s ride in the rain. Need to check the stash, but I’m 99% sure I don’t have a replacement at home. Reminder to go around the bike and check all accessible fasteners.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycle frame Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Water Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discovered that a fender bolt was missing, while giving Beatrix a contactless wash after today’s ride in the rain.
Once in awhile when washing the bikes or wiping it down with a quick detailer I'll feel a loose panel.
I don't crank down on those body panel screws and sometimes they start to back out.
I don't remember losing one but still keep spares on hand.

Reactions: mikeS and MGL

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
On our 1200 and 1250 bikes I did not have to drill any holes or cut the mud guard.
I did not need to loosen the pannier mounts to remove the original piece or slide in the mud guard.
It isn't an issue for fitting, but if you want to remove the pannier rails between use, then the new guard gets in the way. I only use my panniers a few times a year, so most of the time they're not on the bike.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
3,192 Posts
I had a Mudslig on my LC but it did nothing to reduce the amount of spray and road crud so I swapped out the musling for a Wunerlich rear-wheel hugger and the OEM mudguard extender. Works well to the keep most of the crud off the rear shock and top box lock area (limits the amount of rooster tailing).

BTW - I drill a couple of holes (with 10mm blanking grommets) to make the removal of OEM pannier rails easier (thanks to @Panzermann tip).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
132 Posts
@fireman thanks for the picture of the WRS screen!
It lead me to a screen foor mij 2012, that actually fits the original BMW Sport Screen bracket.
Now it will cost me... ;)

Reactions: fireman

·
Registered
2011 BMW R1200R Metallic Red Apple
57 Posts
New $20 Rubber ...

... ready for more on/off action!

View attachment 48466
BMW 'How To' digital manual.

View attachment 48474
Worn out left foot peg rubber gummed up from duct tape.

View attachment 48482
Tied up ready for work.

View attachment 48490
3/16 bit ready to drill out rivets.

View attachment 48498
Remove old rubber and clean surfaces.

View attachment 48506
Secure new threaded rubber with 6mm hex bolts

View attachment 48514
New rubber mounted.

Probably about 15-20 minute operation. Ride on!
To be clear, you replaced the rubber but also replaced the rivets with 6mm hex bolts? Was there anything special you needed to do to use bolts? (i.e., Did you upgrade the retainer plate or something?)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Made a couple of discoveries today. I removed the aluminum guards that were installed on the valve covers and noticed the previous owner must have dropped the bike on the left side when stationary. No rash, just a bunch of pock marks. I installed the Machine Art Moto covers and think they look pretty good. Also removed the bash plate (why did they even put one on this bike) that was missing a spacer. Since today was the first ride of the year for me, I felt a bit rusty. Accidently popped a little wheelie when I thought the engine was going to stall and goosed it.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
3,192 Posts
Fitted Quad-Lock to LC. I probably will not have my iPhone in the mount most of the time but on longer trips where motorway travel is my only option I like to use the Waze navigation app for real-time alerts (road hazards, traffic and potential HWP speed traps. Also, with my Sena Bluetooth can use SIRI to get directions via google maps.

I order the anti-vibration mount and shaped the blue lever for the black option.

Here's the setup installed and can use in portrait or landscape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,192 Posts
You would definitely need all that stuff to drive to China.
We get around here in the Asia Pacific.
It can be a hell-on-wheels trying to navigate around this big brown land down-under on the hunter for a decent cappuccino or the holy grail of a three-bean-on-top espresso martini or dare I say it a classic Aussie salad sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2381 - 2400 of 2437 Posts