BMW R1200R Forum banner
2421 - 2437 of 2437 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,192 Posts
May as well make it a worthwhile insurance claim. He wanted to switch to BMW anyway.
Might as well go …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
132 Posts
This is a 2013 FJR and it happened during a test-drive by a journalist from a professional motor-magazine.
There was quite a lot damage also on the boat.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
I made one from black sheepskin. The sheepskin was originally for the grandchild, moved on to the dogs, then a part of it ended up where it belonged - on my Roadster seat for long trips, with just a couple of large press studs under the seat at the front to locate it, and the pillion seat to clamp at the rear.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I thought about dying it black(ish) but figured the lighter color would soak up less heat lurked in the sun.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
Made a sheepskin seat cover for warm summer riding.

Did you use a quick release buckle on the strap so you can quickly remove it when it rains?
Not a big deal to remove the seat unless you have something strapped to the rear seat on a trip.
There were two different times over the years where I tried a real sheepskin.
I didn't like having to stow it away when it rained and didn't like the wet dog smell if it got wet :)
This was back when we camped and I used the sheepskin as my pillow.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Did you use a quick release buckle on the strap so you can quickly remove it when it rains?
Not a big deal to remove the seat unless you have something strapped to the rear seat on a trip.
There were two different times over the years where I tried a real sheepskin.
I didn't like having to stow it away when it rained and didn't like the wet dog smell if it got wet :)
This was back when we camped and I used the sheepskin as my pillow.
No quick release, but it's easy enough ro slide off.

·
Registered
2015 BMW R1200R Light White
34 Posts
Almost matches mine! We have had a couple as hire bikes in the Greek Islands, as you say good little bikes, this one is hardly run in.
Wheel Tire Water Cloud Fuel tank

·
Registered
2015 BMW R1200R Light White
34 Posts
Hi Chris, if you mean the rear Hugger, it was on the bike when I got it, I’ll check but I think it is a Puig product.

just had a look, it’s this model.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
I've fitted more than one of those PUIG huggers to various R's I have owned. To my eye they not only give a certain - although not huge - amount of protection from road-spray to the rear and underside of the bike but they also visually fill that empty space under the seat. Should I make that 2011 Classic purchase I'm eyeing I'll probably fit another... Earlier models of the hugger had a two-colour finish, with the 'arm' or 'bracket' that secures the hugger part to the bike being silver, and the hugger itself either matte black, gloss black' or 'carbono'. I found it easy enough to mask-off then rattle-can spray with silver paint the 'arm' - it just lifts it a little visually, IMHO.

ChrisZ - if you are thinking of fitting one of the PUIG units take time to look up 'REAR HUGGERS' in the Search Community function at the top of this page. It gives good advice about installing so that the mounting 'arm' does not crack, a problem some found as it has to rotate (very slightly).

There's also some discussion on an alternative rather better (IMHO) and more expensive HORNIG hugger - pic below. You can contact HORNIG direct.. I have seen one of these with centre painted white stripes matching the tank and front guard stripes on BMW's R1200 R Classic - it looked classily classic. See not very good pic of a pic below.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
132 Posts
... I found it easy enough to mask-off then rattle-can spray with silver paint the 'arm' - it just lifts it a little visually, IMHO.
You can also flip off the screw-caps and take the mount off the fender. Then you can spray them separately. I used 2 layers of aluminiumspray and 2 layers clearcoat for the mount, and 3 layers bumper-repair black spray with three layers clearcoat on the ugly cheap looking ABS fender. It gives a more appealing look to the flat looking surface op the ABS part.

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting White Hood

2421 - 2437 of 2437 Posts