BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large Cal-si windscreen with a Wunderlich shield extension and while it provides me with a large pocket of still air there's also a lot of buffeting at highway speeds. I'm thinking I might take it off (especially as the weather's warming up), but I assume there was some sort of small fly screen on the bike out of the factory to protect the instrument cluster. Would that be the case and if so can you still get them (or something similar)? I'll probably aspire to a Trophy fairing at some stage but might have to save my pennies first . . .

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
It probably depends on which country the bike is sold, but it seems that in Norway the bike was delivered without a screen unless you ordered a sport screen or a "high" screen.
I am 6'4" and have the sport screen. Gives me an evenly distributed air flow without buffeting. I love it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great resource, thanks for that. It lists a sports screen as an option so that’s probably the smallest one that comes from the factory. I guess riding without anything at all on the front just means I have to clean the bugs off the back of the instrument cluster rather than the screen . . . .

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
151 Posts
SCJCN, I’m in the same boat with my 2007. The bike had a Cee Bailey on it when I bought it, but I had to duck to get my head out of the turbulence. Eventually I went without any screen at all and have been that way since. I actually enjoy no windscreen. However, I’d like to be able to put something in front of the instrument cluster before it gets hit by a rock, etc. Note, my concern is the instrument cluster and not my body! :oops: The LC’s apparently have a piece of blank plastic that can be mounted in front of the instrument cluster, but I have not been able to find anything similar for the hexheads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SCJCN, I’m in the same boat with my 2007. The bike had a Cee Bailey on it when I bought it, but I had to duck to get my head out of the turbulence. Eventually I went without any screen at all and have been that way since. I actually enjoy no windscreen. However, I’d like to be able to put something in front of the instrument cluster before it gets hit by a rock, etc. Note, my concern is the instrument cluster and not my body! :oops: The LC’s apparently have a piece of blank plastic that can be mounted in front of the instrument cluster, but I have not been able to find anything similar for the hexheads.
I'm also a bit concerned about having no protection for the instrument cluster so I think I'll have a look (ie find out the price) of the OEM small screen. Like everything it's going to be a matter of trying a few different options until I find the right one for me.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
SCJN - the Oz bike/ model/ year mentioned at that time came screen-less. You will be exceptionally lucky to find a Trophy or similar fairing/ screen to be had after all this time. I had a small-ish PUIG unit on my several Roadsters of around that era - see below. Slightly larger and more 'rounded' all-round than the BMW item, with a nice sturdy bracket mount, did me very well @ 5'9+". If interested let me know and I'll dig out some more pix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SCJN - the Oz bike/ model/ year mentioned at that time came screen-less. You will be exceptionally lucky to find a Trophy or similar fairing/ screen to be had after all this time. I had a small-ish PUIG unit on my several Roadsters of around that era - see below. Slightly larger and more 'rounded' all-round than the BMW item, with a nice sturdy bracket mount, did me very well @ 5'9+". If interested let me know and I'll dig out some more pix.

View attachment 108987
Lawrence, made a few enquiries and the small BMW screen is readily available but is in the vicinity of $800 for the screen and the small mount. Similarly the Trophy and touring screen is available from Wunderlich (via the same large and well known Motorrad dealer) and runs to about $1250 for both bits. As my bike's arctic white I'd probably want to get that painted to match. More research required but time to go and think a bit about form v function v economics . . .

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Lawrence, made a few enquiries and the small BMW screen is readily available but is in the vicinity of $800 for the screen and the small mount. Similarly the Trophy and touring screen is available from Wunderlich (via the same large and well known Motorrad dealer) and runs to about $1250 for both bits. As my bike's arctic white I'd probably want to get that painted to match. More research required but time to go and think a bit about form v function v economics . . .

$800 is a blatant rip-off, even by Motorrad standards! If interested in my PUIG option try HURTLE GEAR in WA. Earlier this year they took over from the previous PUIG distributor for Oz (in NSW) and took a lot of stock from them. Might just have what you seek. 08 9721 1326.

OR as a wild-card try NIPPY NORMAN'S UK - they have many brands/ styles of screen for many BMW models. OR - indeed - try PUIG direct.

Lettuce know how you get on pls.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$800 is a blatant rip-off, even by Motorrad standards! If interested in my PUIG option try HURTLE GEAR in WA. Earlier this year they took over from the previous PUIG distributor for Oz (in NSW) and took a lot of stock from them. Might just have what you seek. 08 9721 1326.

OR as a wild-card try NIPPY NORMAN'S UK - they have many brands/ styles of screen for many BMW models. OR - indeed - try PUIG direct.

Lettuce know how you get on pls.
Will do. The mount was around $200 which isn’t too bad but the tiny bit of Perspex was a bit under $600 which is ridiculous. I’ll have a look at some other options but I have to say I like the look of the Trophy . . .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Will do. The mount was around $200 which isn’t too bad but the tiny bit of Perspex was a bit under $600 which is ridiculous. I’ll have a look at some other options but I have to say I like the look of the Trophy . . .
Strange. The parts cost 130 Euros for the bracket and 190 Euros for the clear screen here in Norway, which is usually one of the most expensive countries in the world. You have to add the cost of the fasteners, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'll double check when I call them next but I have written down $288AUD for the bracket kit (180€) and $455AUD (280€) for the screen. I may have written it down incorrectly in shock . . . Either way it's a lot of money for a small screen. Also apologies for not quite getting this right before, should have said "The mount was around $300 which isn’t too bad but the tiny bit of Perspex was a bit under $500 which is ridiculous". Sorry for leading anyone astray . . .

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Plenty available on E Bay - Dark Smoke Naked New Generation Windscreen Puig 6488F For 06-14 BMW R1200R. Under $300 will get you one inc shipping, but do double-check that the kit includes the mounting bracket and fastenings..

LATER EDIT - out of idle curiosity plus a desire to be helpful I looked back on the Forum and found some posts of mine from mid-2014. Seems I bought my PUIG screen pictured above (in clear perspex - other colours are available) from a UK company, avoiding EU Sales Tax. Try <brspecialtuning.co.uk>. The PUIG screen is currently priced at GBP106, = AUD$187, plus shipping. But again, check that the bracket is included. Well worth a try, as my 2014 comments suggested that it provided somewhat better 'cover' than the BMW Sport screen. Back to bed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts