BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Reactions: mcmonkey mcbean
Reading the Instruments

Hello Everyone, Enjoying reading this thread, even when it degenerated into wishful thinking. Earlier, some of us who struggled to read our speedo's, talked about the possibilities of improving that, including the use of coloured stickers, etc. It all set me thinking, so yesterday I took my 4inch (10CM) hand magnifying glass to the garage, placed it over my speedo, which is about 3inch (7.5cm) to see if this improved things. I think I may be on to something here. It certainly made the speedo clearer. Not yet thought how to put such a device into place, and if indeed, it would have reflection problems, but you never know, it may help. Also searched the net for magnification devices and then wondered about the plastic magnifying sheets produced (very cheaply) for people with poor eyesight to help them read magazines, books and newspapers. Any other ideas? RobA.

...so yesterday I took my 4inch (10CM) hand magnifying glass to the garage, placed it over my speedo, which is about 3inch (7.5cm) to see if this improved things. I think I may be on to something here. It certainly made the speedo clearer. Not yet thought how to put such a device into place, and if indeed, it would have reflection problems...
You problee wouldn't want to affix the mag. glass in-place permanently, I imagine. My way would be to use some Blue Tack around the edge of the m/g, which will secure it proud of the speedo glass so as not to scratch it through vibration, etc. It would also absorb some of the vibration AND be easy enough to remove and replace, e.g. when cleaning the bike, etc.

I have a similar sized m/g here somewhere which I use to read micron-sized print on some of my maps - I'll give my own suggestion a try and advise. Something else to fiddle with...!

L of S

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Hello Everyone, Enjoying reading this thread, even when it degenerated into wishful thinking. Earlier, some of us who struggled to read our speedo's, talked about the possibilities of improving that, including the use of coloured stickers, etc. It all set me thinking, so yesterday I took my 4inch (10CM) hand magnifying glass to the garage, placed it over my speedo, which is about 3inch (7.5cm) to see if this improved things. I think I may be on to something here. It certainly made the speedo clearer. Not yet thought how to put such a device into place, and if indeed, it would have reflection problems, but you never know, it may help. Also searched the net for magnification devices and then wondered about the plastic magnifying sheets produced (very cheaply) for people with poor eyesight to help them read magazines, books and newspapers. Any other ideas? RobA.
All good Rob, my threads are never intended to be star threads, so I don't mind them having a collapse every now and then especially if a bit of humour is thrown in.

I noticed you can buy magnifying sheet off ebay which looks fairly cost effective. Not sure how thick this sheet is, but you could hand cut to your instrument panel size and shape. As Lawrence mentioned you could blue tack or velcro into position.
The only problem I could foresee is the glass melting out of shape in the sun, also from experimenting as a child you can start a little fire with magnifying glass and the sun.

However if you ever had the opportunity to embrace technology HUD might be just for you.

Reactions: dbyker
Discussion starter · #25 · (Edited)
Reactions: Clem
Discussion starter · #27 ·
Oh good!

Don't know how far BMW have got with their version of a Heads Up Display Helmet

But one helmet designer from Japan has been busy

That is a Kickstarter thingy. Just like how Skully was. I would think a lot of people will be wary pre-ordering this helmet considering how many people got burnt by Skully.

I would love a helmet like this though.

Reactions: mcmonkey mcbean
Not for me - don’t need the complication when riding.

It promises a reduction in wind noise, potentally through active noise reduction, which would be the one thing I really would appreciate.

Wouldn’t be prepared to commit to something like this (if I was interested) without trying it first though.

Discussion starter · #30 · (Edited)
For me, I would find the rear camera valuable.

At lights I'm always staring into my rear mirror see what speed traffic is coming up behind me, whether i can see if they are texting or doing some dumb thing not to see me waiting.

I've then to look out the front for light changes....a camera would take keep my head up looking ahead.
Would like to customise the read outs with the rear camera though such as speed etc.....little bit like the instrument display options the LC has.

I think these helmets in the future will be the ducks nuts, unfortunately in development stage they are going to be really expensive.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.