1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
The touring Cee Baily has worked well for me.
After starting with the Cal Sci that had some turbulence, I bought the CB because it leaned back more than the Cal Sci.
This has reduced the buffeting.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I just took delivery of a 19" cee bailey touring generation 3.

Previous screen was gen 1 (I think) cee bailey 20". It had a lot of buffeting even with a don c block and spacers under the lower attachements.

The gen 3 is terrific. I rode it yesterday in some pretty strong winds about 150 miles. I cannot say that it was completely buffeting free, but it was pretty close, I think.

Previous screens I've used were on an 1150, and that was the big touring screen and then the BMW 380 Tall screen, which is similar to the currnet BMW touring screen.

Compared to those, both cee bailey's were better in the noise dept and my original CB was worse in the buffeting.

The Gen 3 is just fine for my riding posture: 5'7.5" 32" in seam and my wife tells me to stand up straight, so I must slouch a bit.

I like the way it looks also. Any screen will have compromises, but the gen 3 has been the best balance. IN addition, the Cee Bailey people have been nice to deal with.

John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just took delivery of a 19" cee bailey touring generation 3.

Previous screen was gen 1 (I think) cee bailey 20". It had a lot of buffeting even with a don c block and spacers under the lower attachements.

The gen 3 is terrific. I rode it yesterday in some pretty strong winds about 150 miles. I cannot say that it was completely buffeting free, but it was pretty close, I think.

Previous screens I've used were on an 1150, and that was the big touring screen and then the BMW 380 Tall screen, which is similar to the currnet BMW touring screen.

Compared to those, both cee bailey's were better in the noise dept and my original CB was worse in the buffeting.

The Gen 3 is just fine for my riding posture: 5'7.5" 32" in seam and my wife tells me to stand up straight, so I must slouch a bit.

I like the way it looks also. Any screen will have compromises, but the gen 3 has been the best balance. IN addition, the Cee Bailey people have been nice to deal with.

John
Hey we're both exactly the same height! On the Cee Bailey's site they say the 19" model is for sub 5'8" rider and the 21" model is for 5'8" and up riders. Since I hate buffering, I was aiming at the 21" model. Judging from your experience with th 19" model would you say that the 21" model would be too tall and that I would be looking through the winshield, instead of over the windshield

Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a 19" cee bailey as well. It is ok. It does produce turbulence based on where it hits my helmet. It is a nice product though.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Hey we're both exactly the same height! On the Cee Bailey's site they say the 19" model is for sub 5'8" rider and the 21" model is for 5'8" and up riders. Since I hate buffering, I was aiming at the 21" model. Judging from your experience with th 19" model would you say that the 21" model would be too tall and that I would be looking through the winshield, instead of over the windshield

Thanks
yes.

Even with the 19, I am looking through at close range, but it's not an issue. I find the 19 to be just as quiet as the gen 1 was, though turbulence is a wee bit closer. As I said, I rode about 150+ miles with it, then yesterday ran some errands around town. Both days the wind was very strong, prob sustained 20 and 25+ mpg gusts. Enought to push the bike sideways at a stop. On the interstate there was very very little buffeting and that was when I was in the wake of something big. It was a quantum level better than the prev screen. I would def NOT want something bigger--don't think it would necessarily protect any better, wind resistance would have to be worse, and I don't think it would be esthetically as pleasing.

Re sizing, the Cee Bailey method is to draw a line parallel to the earth at the top of the screen. Properly sized that line should be level with your lips. Not an exact science but that is where it falls on me. The 20" was slightly higher, like my upper lip and that is why the air was a little cleaner, but not appreciably so. And the wind resistance seemd much greater and the buffeting certainly was.

I am very happy with the 19, and feel my search has ended.
Obviously ymmv, but that's my take.

John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes.

Even with the 19, I am looking through at close range, but it's not an issue. I find the 19 to be just as quiet as the gen 1 was, though turbulence is a wee bit closer. As I said, I rode about 150+ miles with it, then yesterday ran some errands around town. Both days the wind was very strong, prob sustained 20 and 25+ mpg gusts. Enought to push the bike sideways at a stop. On the interstate there was very very little buffeting and that was when I was in the wake of something big. It was a quantum level better than the prev screen. I would def NOT want something bigger--don't think it would necessarily protect any better, wind resistance would have to be worse, and I don't think it would be esthetically as pleasing.

Re sizing, the Cee Bailey method is to draw a line parallel to the earth at the top of the screen. Properly sized that line should be level with your lips. Not an exact science but that is where it falls on me. The 20" was slightly higher, like my upper lip and that is why the air was a little cleaner, but not appreciably so. And the wind resistance seemd much greater and the buffeting certainly was.

John
Thanks for the great info and advice. I took my mesuring tape and mesured my inseam. It so happens it is closer to 29"1/2 - 30" than you 32. So for our heights to be equal, my torso is in fact 2" longer than yours. Since I hate buffeting so much, I think i'll take my chances with the bigger one.

Thanks man!;)

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
yes.

John
Is this one of the windshields that fit the tall OEM screen bracket? So, if I would measure from the bottom of the bracket 19 inches up it would give me an idea on how tall this screen is? I would need a lower one, but just wondering about how to measure the height. Am still far away from buying a new one, but once my freaking wrist heals up and I am planning on putting a lot of miles on my bike and test out the tall OEM windshield I have on my bike. Since I am fairly short (probably shorter than all of you guys) I am hoping the OEM will do the trick for me.

I also decided on getting acerbis hand guards before getting a new windshield. Again, first wrist needs to heal, wallet still needs to heal for a while after buying this bike and then more accessories are going to be added on ...

Thanks for the great description of the new cee baileys by the way!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts