BMW R1200R Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
On Thursday’s ride to Hill End I was greeted in the village by group of school children. I’m not cretain why I received such a warm welcome - very strange. Got this clip from my bikes dashcam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmmmm Those kids dont look like cretins to me, they look pretty normal. Just my observation,

BTW, is the pandemic thing over down under? Up here things have gone from mismanaged to FUBAR, and now the mental health crisis in the capital has gone from ridiculous to mussolini crazy.

Dunno, mates, it may be time to change hemispheres!

·
2,809 Posts
Or maybe they were so taken by the sight of my thunder grey LC...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,809 Posts
Probably not my go-to place on a dark stormy night - just saying...

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,863 Posts
BTW, is the pandemic thing over down under?
The Land of Oz locked down pretty quickly and clamped down on OS arrivals, with a 14 day mandatory hotel quarantine (in a room, not the front bar). States locked down their borders to other states that were not doing so well (and plenty of political gamesmanship to ensure leaders were perceived as protecting their constituents).

There have been lapses in procedures in the early days, in particular a cruise ship in Sydney NSW that was allowed to disembark passengers freely, and failures in hotel quarantine in Victoria due to untrained security staff.

The outcome is that pretty much the only cases we have now are those in quarantine after returning from OS. Current stats are in the picture below. Minimal community transmission these days, although we retain social distancing and extra hygeine measures. Life is pretty much at COVID-normal, awaiting broad scale vaccination roll out (noting we have the usual proportion of internet-‘educated’ anti-vaxers). The economy is picking up, although employment has been severely disrupted, the government has incurred a generational level of debt in spending on support measures, and many small businesses have gone to the wall.

Compared with many countries, we are in a very fortunate position, for which I am grateful. We tend to have a pretty strong sense of social responsibility here, rather than an emphasis on individualism, and hence ready compliance with the necessary social restrictions until we get through this.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Land of Oz locked down pretty quickly and clamped down on OS arrivals, with a 14 day mandatory hotel quarantine (in a room, not the front bar). States locked down their borders to other states that were not doing so well (and plenty of political gamesmanship to ensure leaders were perceived as protecting their constituents).

There have been lapses in procedures in the early days, in particular a cruise ship in Sydney NSW that was allowed to disembark passengers freely, and failures in hotel quarantine in Victoria due to untrained security staff.

The outcome is that pretty much the only cases we have now are those in quarantine after returning from OS. Current stats are in the picture below. Minimal community transmission these days, although we retain social distancing and extra hygeine measures. Life is pretty much at COVID-normal, awaiting broad scale vaccination roll out (noting we have the usual proportion of internet-‘educated’ anti-vaxers). The economy is picking up, although employment has been severely disrupted, the government has incurred a generational level of debt in spending on support measures, and many small businesses have gone to the wall.

Compared with many countries, we are in a very fortunate position, for which I am grateful. We tend to have a pretty strong sense of social responsibility here, rather than an emphasis on individualism, and hence ready compliance with the necessary social restrictions until we get through this.
View attachment 109655
Jealous...

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
218 Posts
Praise the baby Jesus, it was a Christmas miracle ya'll! Yesterday @ 5:30 I took the plow off my truck, today I managed a two state romp on my R! It was an indicated 54f on the bike when I turned south on 32. About the CT line I asked myself if I was going somewhere or turning around. So I visited a friend on the edge of Ellington CT just to have a destination.

Blasting along between the snow banks, past still frozen ponds felt great. Then my friend showed me he had studded the 50/50 tires on his GS, because he's riding it to work all year now in Springfield MA. Last year he didn't take his truck once, and so far this year he took the truck for the 16" blizzard only.

This is why I don't winterize/store the bike. Sadly the garden hose is frozen, and I am left to figure out how to rinse her off now.

·
2,809 Posts
Big day out on LC with the weather turning out four-sessions to challenge comfort levels, but I loved every minute. All up round trip 620klms for the day with 99% all B-roads. Started from my home base in the inner-west to Windsor-Lithgow and on to Castlereagh H’way peeling off on to the Bylong Valley Way.
Crap weather heading down the twisties to Lithgow.

First two road site at the start of the BVW:

Stopped for lunch at Rylstone - Cafe n Louee. When I arravied the cafe was busy with mostly locals. I order smash avo and tea and althought the meal was fresh with good flavour, but everything seem to be back to basics from my last vist.

Smash avo I had about 8 month ago

My smashed yesterday ... tasty but very basic.

After lunch it was time to enjoy BVW with all its twists-tight corners-potholes-long straights and of course changing weather conditions.

From BVW on to the Putty Road and turn off to Broke to refuel and on to Wollembi and home via the old pacific h’way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the goor RR MikeS, they are always inspiring and right on the money to perfectly capture a sense of what being a motorcyclist really is all about.
Speaking of inspiration, OK ya got me - smashed avo' 'n poached eggs now firmly on the menu for brekky today!

·
2,809 Posts
Thanks for the goor RR MikeS, they are always inspiring and right on the money to perfectly capture a sense of what being a motorcyclist really is all about.
Speaking of inspiration, OK ya got me - smashed avo' 'n poached eggs now firmly on the menu for brekky today!
Thanks, HG. Posting on the Tapatalk App, I use low res so not a crisp as I’d like but it just ok. Smash avo and poached eggs always a go-to hunger buster.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts