BMW R1200R Forum banner

121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
On Thursday’s ride to Hill End I was greeted in the village by group of school children. I’m not cretain why I received such a warm welcome - very strange. Got this clip from my bikes dashcam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmmmm Those kids dont look like cretins to me, they look pretty normal. Just my observation,

BTW, is the pandemic thing over down under? Up here things have gone from mismanaged to FUBAR, and now the mental health crisis in the capital has gone from ridiculous to mussolini crazy.

Dunno, mates, it may be time to change hemispheres!

·
2,929 Posts
Or maybe they were so taken by the sight of my thunder grey LC...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,929 Posts
Probably not my go-to place on a dark stormy night - just saying...

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
BTW, is the pandemic thing over down under?
The Land of Oz locked down pretty quickly and clamped down on OS arrivals, with a 14 day mandatory hotel quarantine (in a room, not the front bar). States locked down their borders to other states that were not doing so well (and plenty of political gamesmanship to ensure leaders were perceived as protecting their constituents).

There have been lapses in procedures in the early days, in particular a cruise ship in Sydney NSW that was allowed to disembark passengers freely, and failures in hotel quarantine in Victoria due to untrained security staff.

The outcome is that pretty much the only cases we have now are those in quarantine after returning from OS. Current stats are in the picture below. Minimal community transmission these days, although we retain social distancing and extra hygeine measures. Life is pretty much at COVID-normal, awaiting broad scale vaccination roll out (noting we have the usual proportion of internet-‘educated’ anti-vaxers). The economy is picking up, although employment has been severely disrupted, the government has incurred a generational level of debt in spending on support measures, and many small businesses have gone to the wall.

Compared with many countries, we are in a very fortunate position, for which I am grateful. We tend to have a pretty strong sense of social responsibility here, rather than an emphasis on individualism, and hence ready compliance with the necessary social restrictions until we get through this.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Land of Oz locked down pretty quickly and clamped down on OS arrivals, with a 14 day mandatory hotel quarantine (in a room, not the front bar). States locked down their borders to other states that were not doing so well (and plenty of political gamesmanship to ensure leaders were perceived as protecting their constituents).

There have been lapses in procedures in the early days, in particular a cruise ship in Sydney NSW that was allowed to disembark passengers freely, and failures in hotel quarantine in Victoria due to untrained security staff.

The outcome is that pretty much the only cases we have now are those in quarantine after returning from OS. Current stats are in the picture below. Minimal community transmission these days, although we retain social distancing and extra hygeine measures. Life is pretty much at COVID-normal, awaiting broad scale vaccination roll out (noting we have the usual proportion of internet-‘educated’ anti-vaxers). The economy is picking up, although employment has been severely disrupted, the government has incurred a generational level of debt in spending on support measures, and many small businesses have gone to the wall.

Compared with many countries, we are in a very fortunate position, for which I am grateful. We tend to have a pretty strong sense of social responsibility here, rather than an emphasis on individualism, and hence ready compliance with the necessary social restrictions until we get through this.
View attachment 109655
Jealous...

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
405 Posts
Praise the baby Jesus, it was a Christmas miracle ya'll! Yesterday @ 5:30 I took the plow off my truck, today I managed a two state romp on my R! It was an indicated 54f on the bike when I turned south on 32. About the CT line I asked myself if I was going somewhere or turning around. So I visited a friend on the edge of Ellington CT just to have a destination.

Blasting along between the snow banks, past still frozen ponds felt great. Then my friend showed me he had studded the 50/50 tires on his GS, because he's riding it to work all year now in Springfield MA. Last year he didn't take his truck once, and so far this year he took the truck for the 16" blizzard only.

This is why I don't winterize/store the bike. Sadly the garden hose is frozen, and I am left to figure out how to rinse her off now.

·
2,929 Posts
Big day out on LC with the weather turning out four-sessions to challenge comfort levels, but I loved every minute. All up round trip 620klms for the day with 99% all B-roads. Started from my home base in the inner-west to Windsor-Lithgow and on to Castlereagh H’way peeling off on to the Bylong Valley Way.
Crap weather heading down the twisties to Lithgow.

First two road site at the start of the BVW:

Stopped for lunch at Rylstone - Cafe n Louee. When I arravied the cafe was busy with mostly locals. I order smash avo and tea and althought the meal was fresh with good flavour, but everything seem to be back to basics from my last vist.

Smash avo I had about 8 month ago

My smashed yesterday ... tasty but very basic.

After lunch it was time to enjoy BVW with all its twists-tight corners-potholes-long straights and of course changing weather conditions.

From BVW on to the Putty Road and turn off to Broke to refuel and on to Wollembi and home via the old pacific h’way.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for the good RR MikeS, they are always inspiring and right on the money to perfectly capture a sense of what being a motorcyclist really is all about.
Speaking of inspiration, OK ya got me - smashed avo' 'n poached eggs now firmly on the menu for brekky today!

·
2,929 Posts
Thanks for the goor RR MikeS, they are always inspiring and right on the money to perfectly capture a sense of what being a motorcyclist really is all about.
Speaking of inspiration, OK ya got me - smashed avo' 'n poached eggs now firmly on the menu for brekky today!
Thanks, HG. Posting on the Tapatalk App, I use low res so not a crisp as I’d like but it just ok. Smash avo and poached eggs always a go-to hunger buster.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
The other bloke in my office invited me along to a vintage motorbike meet up and ride today, so I took the R out for a chat and a gawk at some older models. Unfortunately the only vintage things were the blokes riding the bikes :) I think my bike was the oldest there. Sat at a river front cafe for an hour and chatted about all sorts of things, then went for a quick lap around the outskirts of town in a group of about 12 riders. All keeping to the speed limit, nice spread between bikes, ride leaders waiting at intersections until everyone (i.e., me) caught up. All in all a very pleasant group ride. I'll definitely be joining the vintage men on motorcycles for a ride again.

I've only just serviced the R, so everything was tight and lubed up and it was noticeably running smoother than the last few rides I've done. Only issue was the TPMS warning appeared on the way home, so I think the batteries in the front and rear are toast. Tossing up whether to replace the batteries in the OEM bits myself or buy chinese TPMS units and a magic wand to activate them.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
Tossing up whether to replace the batteries in the OEM bits myself or buy chinese TPMS units and a magic wand to activate them.
I only today decided while riding that I’ll leave the Chinese Shraders on the shelf and replace the batteries in the originals with Lithium tabbed versions from Jaycar at the next respective tyre change. I do recall now that the GS911 reported the batteries as less than perfect, even though no instrument panel warning has been issued.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
85 Posts
Enjoying the window of sunshine

Yesterday I took my R1200R out with my wife up to Carter Lake; up in the mountains just west of Loveland, CO. It was sunny and about 65 degrees and absolutely beautiful. After that I came home, exchanged out my BMW sport windshield (size of a pancake) and installed my new Cee Bailey 21" touring windshield. It made a world of difference and I plan to leave it on indefinitely.

The temperature has dropped from yesterday and the weatherman is predicting rain and snow tomorrow. Glad I took advantage of the opportunity to ride when I had the opportunity.
Damn shame they stopped making them.

·
Registered
720 Posts

View attachment 109655

Wow.... aside from the Latest Bimbo Eruption in our capitol, things appear to be gradually turning in the right direction.
Last week, Mrs Jim and I rode the Red Raider to the Vaccination Clinic to get Jab #1 of the Moderna Covid1 vaccine.
By the 2nd week of March, I won't be seeing doorknobs as a potential bioweapon.
I see A LOT of riding in the Spring time, when everything is mud luscious and the wildflowers erupt in to a psychedelic ocean up and down the hills above the Eastern Pacific shores.
There will be trout fishing, too, my favorite social distancing activity, where I wade out in to a freezing cold river and nothing else matters.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Only issue was the TPMS warning appeared on the way home, so I think the batteries in the front and rear are toast. Tossing up whether to replace the batteries in the OEM bits myself or buy chinese TPMS units and a magic wand to activate them.
The TPMS actually sort of saved my ass last Summer. I was returning home via the SpeedSlab (people like to drive 100+ on this one, and with the Pandemic "attitude" they were F-ing Flying) and so I was tucked in at a slightly faster than normal pace when the little Triangle Lit Up. I checked the WunderLinQ error output and my rear tire was down 4lbs, then 6lbs then ...I pulled off and quickly plugged the tire. Could've been squirrelly.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
85 Posts
Good deal. Glad it worked! That definitely could've been bad.👍

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
117 Posts
Okay. Okay. You southern hemisphere guys are lucky with that beautiful weather. 👍

Stayed in my garage. Small snowdrift on garage door. Snow has blown off the fields. Two inches of ice under four inches of snow (was 8") until yesterday. A Russian freezing NE'ly and E'ly until today. But happy not to have Canada's -20 C and lower.

Attachments

Reactions: mikeS

·
2,929 Posts
Weather was too good to stay at home, so I wheeled LC out and headed off for a day out on LC. First up an hour or so a very light misty rain but after an hour or so the weather fined up for a near-perfect riding day.

Spent the day weaving around the back-block of Southern Highland. After a couple of hours of spirited riding required a caffeine fix. I stopped off at Marulan at the Cafe Meridan; however, looks can be deceiving what looked to be a very nice little cafe, but this place is oh so sinister. The only comment I have is if anyone is riding through and see the Cafe Meridan just swing on by, don't stop. I order my coffe and selected a lovely little table with a view. However, while sitting there, I recall feeling uneasy. It didn't long - as I looked around the room and gazing the hundreds of picture frames on every wall. Oh, no, all had pictures of Pooches...

I tried to ignore all these pooches, but it didn’t take long before that wall started to close in...

Anyway, I managed to push through. Apart from that, I managed to enjoy the day and here are a few pictures I took along the way.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
405 Posts
Did no one warn you the internet is 20% pictures of pugs by volume?

I am quite tempted to ride today. Roads are clear and dry, temp is trending to 40ish. But the approach to the shed. . .

and of course the steep driveway. . .

I'm thinking I can duck walk it to the driveway, and there is just enough clear driveway, then I think about my shiny new R sliding down the driveway horizontally :eek:

121 - 140 of 158 Posts