BMW R1200R Forum banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Lovely bikes, those Classics - problee my fave of all the many (too many!) Rs oilheads I owned. And nice scribing too.

Reactions: SteveJH and mikeS

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
The Panzer and I went for a ride on a tilt tray truck to BMW Motorrad Launceston.

I was overtaking a slow vehicle in low gear up a steep incline when I felt shuddering from the rear. The rear universal joint failed, meaning a new driveshaft.

The best laid plans of mice and men, and all that.

UPDATE 16 April. BMW Motorrad Aust has come to the party and provided a free of charge repair. I pick up the bike tomorrow when we get back up that way.
The rear gaiter still needs to be replaced once the part comes in from Germany but they’re happy for me to ride it home and have it done in Canberra. Apparently there was a minor scuff on the inside of the swingarm channel but the tech assessed it wasn’t of structural significance and BMW Aust agreed, so I’m fine with that. I call that a win.

·
2,967 Posts
Ouch, PZ... Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

·
6,287 Posts
Thanks for the commiserations and offers for help guys. Part is in stock in Melbourne and should be available Thursday/Friday, with only an hour or so to fit.

Bike is now secured at the dealership, along with a lift from there to overnight digs with the other guys. I’m fed and watered, and philosophic about it. I’ll see if BMW will come to the party with some good will. Australian consumer law is useful in that respect, given that it isn’t a service item so should last a reasonable proportion of the life of the bike. We’ll see.

Reactions: JP_in_SD and mikeS

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ouch! PZ, those shots of the bike loaded on the trailer hurt to see (especially since your bike is a near match to mine). :oops: Very sorry to hear about this.

If you don't mind... Roughly how many miles did you have on it at failure, and in retrospect did you notice any early indications that failure was possibly imminent? Any signs of metal shavings in the last fluid swap back there maybe?

Hope BMW helps you out in some way.

·
Registered
R1250R
601 Posts
Don't know about Scotland and Wales, but Northern Ireland has a very bad outbreak of street violence with many getting injured. Some say due to the crazy Brexit deal that put NI behind a new sea border (thank you Boris Johnson and the insane EU politicians), some say back to sectarian unrest, and some say drugs and criminal gangs fighting the police.
The problem is BREXIT means - you either have a border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, or a border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Neither option is satisfactory, and some would say what we are now seeing is inevitable. To quote Donald Tusk “…………promoted Brexit without even a sketch of a plan of how to carry it out safely”

·
Registered
R1250R
601 Posts
I was overtaking a slow vehicle in low gear up a steep incline when I felt shuddering from the rear. The rear universal joint failed, meaning a new driveshaft.
Mmmm, not good. Hope you have it fixed soon.

·
6,287 Posts
@JP_in_SD it was the drive shaft rather than final drive unit that failed (half the cost of the latter 😄).
Not being a service item, I hadn’t made any inspections during services but would have noticed any slop in the universal joint at the next one as I had planned to regressed the splines.
My suggestion would be to rock the wheel back and forth with the bike on the stand and listen to any sound it makes at each rubber cover (hopefully none). If you do this now and then, hopefully any unusual sounds would allow you to pick up any pending complete failure of the joints.

Reactions: JP_in_SD and mikeS

·
2,967 Posts
@JP_in_SD it was the drive shaft rather than final drive unit that failed (half the cost of the latter ).
Not being a service item, I hadn’t made any inspections during services but would have noticed any slop in the universal joint at the next one as I had planned to regressed the splines.
My suggestion would be to rock the wheel back and forth with the bike on the stand and listen to any sound it makes at each rubber cover (hopefully none). If you do this now and then, hopefully any unusual sounds would allow you to pick up any pending complete failure of the joints.
Thanks for the heads-up PZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,287 Posts
UPDATE ON THE DRIVE SHAFT

BMW Motorrad Aust has come to the party and provided a free of charge repair. I pick up the bike tomorrow when we get back up that way.
The rear gaiter still needs to be replaced once the part comes in from Germany but they’re happy for me to ride it home and have it done in Canberra. Apparently there was a minor scuff on the inside of the swingarm channel but the tech assessed it wasn’t of structural significance and BMW Aust agreed, so I’m fine with that.

I call that a win.

·
Registered
R1250R
601 Posts
BMW Motorrad Aust has come to the party and provided a free of charge repair.
I’m assuming your bike is out of warranty. So that is extra very excellent :D (y) A real result. Superb customer service from NZ Motorrad.

I call that a win.
Yup – I would say so.

·
2,967 Posts
With near perfect early Autumn riding conditions, I tried to cover as much round-trip distance as possible. I recheck the weather forecast in the morning, and rain looked like a fair bit of rain both north and west of Sydney, so my options were limited to mainly Southern regions. Of course, the priority for the day a good helping of twisties and lunch. I was well prepared for the latter “Food” as I suffered through a good few intermittent fast-days during the week; I was locked and loaded for my calorie-fest. That said, I decided to skip breakfast and morning coffee (missing morning coffee is the work of the devil!)I headed off to cover as much ground before lunch. At least I had a plan, but it lasted until 10:30 AM, and I had to stop to get my coffee fix at Braidwood. Plenty of café options, but I thought I would use my time wandering around the main street taking in the sights instead of sitting inside a café. I found a tiny hole in the wall place that’s seems well patronised by locals and wasn’t disappointed with the Coffee (Bar Espresso). Braidwood, NSW - Aussie Towns
I got this image from the net.

Here’s a couple of Pix I took while around. I am a point of visit the “Boiled Lolly” shop just for a laugh. I’ve had lunch there a few times the food is nothing special but always fresh and tasty. I took a little time to look at the vast display of lollies and sweets. A staff member offered freebie samples of the boiled lollies, and I was offered a selection, but my dear old fathers words came to the fore “never accept boiled lollies from a stranger son”. Enough said abot this topic.

A few pix in and around the mainstreet.

After spending way too much time at Braidwood, it was time to head off and down the Kings H’Way and the fabulous twisties of Clyde Mountain. I enjoyed the long winding downhill run so much; I could help but go up and down a few time until my internal lunch bell started ringing.

Clyde Mount Pix. RIDE TO LIVE

I’ve meant to try out the little River Café at Nelligen. It’s a great little stop and well worth a visit if only for the location. The food is what I would define as old-school style milk-bar style but very fresh and tasty. I opted for the Veg burger and Chocolate milkshake. I wasn’t disappointed, and the milkshake was presented icy-cold and in the old-fashion metal cups. Again, and as is my usual spent way too long just kicking back and the view.

While I was sunning myself and watching the locals go about their Saturday afternoon stuff, I completely forgot about my wife booked a night out with family and friend at one of our local go-to restaurants so its was the shortest route home and a spirited run via the M4. However, having only had one coffee all days, I decided to stop off at Bundegore and try out the new (new to me) Carrington Inn now run by the previouse owener of the Cafe’ Wood Work. Wow, what a great little lunch place for familes and travellers alike. A very family-friendly laid back rear courtyard, and happy to recommend this place. I just felt like a coffee but given the time off day it felt un natural not to have a little slice of cake or something sweet. I juts wanted something small so I thought I would give the hazelnut choiclate brownie a try. What arrived was a massive slice - very tasty but shoudl be or a share slice.

A a few pix.

All things cosidering and very enjoaybel day out and managed to knock out 716klms. Althought I was feeling somewhat nackered and didn’t feel up to going out afetr a big day out on the bike, I soon purcked up one the food arrived and must say it was the pefect end to a great day out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
6,287 Posts
I’m assuming your bike is out of warranty. So that is extra very excellent :D (y) A real result. Superb customer service from NZ Motorrad.
That would be BMW Motorrad Australia rather than NZ (different island).

My claim was made as a Consumer Guarantee under the provisions of the Consumer and Competition Act 2010, and, whilst treated as a a goodwill repair by BMW, I believe I had a very strong case, so it was hard for them not to honour it (and dishonest if they didn’t).

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Running around for some light duty local errands today:

4:19:21.jpg

Ride on!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry! No pic of todays windy drizzly ride to the dealer for the fuel pump recall and warrantee fuel strip replacement on my '11 Classic. Very much looking forward to having the fuel gauge operational, as it has been kaput since I bought the bike last Fall.
This wasn't yesterday but had a lovely Spring ride on the Mohawk Trail the other day-

Attachments

161 - 180 of 186 Posts