BMW R1200R Forum banner

Where did you go today on your Roadster?

296K views 3K replies 221 participants last post by  The Dogfather 
Devils Staircase Road, Queenstown, New Zealand. Hours ride and back from home, follows Lake Wakatipu. Coming into our winter, 8 degress celius or 46.7 degress F.

Rode the Glenorchy Road, near Queenstown New Zealand, this is half and hour from my home.
My other half 'Des' his bike is the 1100s pictured besides my Black 2007 r1200r.

:eek: Oh dear, that would spin me out, I did live in London for a couple of years. But I like my 5 min from work to home commute by motorbike, 30min push bike ride, or just for kicks, I'll take a 45km loop from work back to home opposite direction through a rural type setting.
Who said buy a motorbike to save on petrol!
I like the comparsion though, and when I did live in London, I commuted by push bike, I got really street wise savey, it was a buzz really, ducking and diving through the traffic.
Music concerts where high on the must do's, and generally we made the most of what cities have to offer, and the closeness to Europe...though was not into having my own motorbike then....bit of a shame really.

Yep..thats expensive Lawrence.
I looked back on receipts the previous owner of my bike kept and came with the bike.
He seemed to use 4L castrol activ 4t $40.00NZ

I'm am lucky, this town is 2 hours from my home town where I grew up, I love the outdoors and this place was a natural progression for me to move to when I was younger, I've worked hard to get to live here. Its kind of turned into a developers paradise which has pushed the cost of living up for those wanting to buy into the housing market. I've been here 30 years now.

I went upstate to the 7 lake area, didn't stop to take pictures there but I have one of where I was waiting for one of my riding friends.

70ish degrees all day, sunny, perfect 200ish mile ride today.

Nice, I do love riding around cityscapes if the road traffic is not to busy...this looks lovely...what a view

Yep. You're getting warm! it's the Florida United Methodist Children's Home on the North side of Lake Monroe near beautiful downtown Enterprise, Fl. Enterprise-Osteen Road is part of a great backroad route from Orlando to Daytona that includes narrow canopied roads and trees hanging low with spanish moss. Even has a few curves!
I love working out pictures, interesting that 'spanish moss' looks like what we call here 'old mans beard' in New Zealand

Fair Game

ABS full function check...all OK (saved me at a police radar trap)
Ride More.......Worry Less !
Caught by the 'Kea trap', stop/go lights at the single lane Homer Tunnel.

This 'juvenile' Kea is interested in the buckles, and velcro of my boots.

Leg Personal protective equipment

A wet ride, take it a bit slower and relax, Milford Road

Vehicle Motor vehicle Windshield Road Mode of transport

OMG !!! Where did you find that??? Relative?:clown:
Think I'll go with the Rock Duck.
q: Whats another name for a clever duck?

a: a wise 'quacker'

>:)

Went to outer space baby!

Was a space driver going for a spin, 1000kms return, on the Roadster to see a long life favourite music band the B52's in Christchurch, such a fun band.
They were the back up to 'Simpleminded' another big music 80's band.
Good weather 27 deg cel, took a diversion along some of these man made canals, was expecting to see Mo Dean on a UFO.

Helmet Motorcycle helmet Personal protective equipment Sky Vehicle

The same B52s of Rock Lobster fame? That song hit #1 on the local radio charts here when my older daughter was about 4. She insisted on hearing it over and over, dancing manically around the house. She's now 40+ :surprise:

Just for the memories, I'm playing Private Idaho as I type ... thanks for the flashback :clap:
Yes, and 'Planet Claire', 'Deadbeat Club' ....the music is pretty infectious, you can't help but dance, I've still blisters on my feet, and the next day thought I might need a back re alignment :clown: but being smack in the middle of my 50's what else was I to expect.:001_rolleyes:

Seems like Australia is allowed out on their bikes again, some great photos. Our wintered summer seems to have moved on, lovely days of late.

Ok how do I get pics on here using an iPad?
Text Font Line Icon Illustration

Just use the paper clip that is outlined in red above ....it will take you through steps to upload saved pics from your iPad.

Let me know if your still having trouble.

Hope your recovery is straight forward and speedy enough Stricko, gravel is a nightmare especially on a corner. Like you said a warning sign would cost so little to have in place compared to your hospital care.

Those helicopters are a godsend, all the best 'stricko'

heard it through the grapevine

a pre arranged ride the night before between two people ended up a sizeable group ride!

5 hours felt a lot longer, our narrow roads were busy today.

Lines of faster cars being held up by a slower car in front who was not prepared to move over to let cars past, being amongst frustrated drivers is not a great place to be for a motorcyclist.
I try to pass and get away from these situations, whilst quietly wishing highway patrol focused more on ticketing slower drivers than the faster ones for a change....I digress :closedeyes:

One bike had a pillion, his 13 year old terrier, she sits in the back of his bag all tucked up, age and the fact she has been hunting all to often with him over the years with gun shots going off, she is deaf.
She gets the attention where ever he pulls up.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling

Needed to scrub in new tyres so had to make a trip to 'God's Country', the North York Moors. March sunshine is still pretty nippy at +5 C but the deserted roads make up for it. Not sure exactly where this is but near Blakey Bank at Farndale.
New Metz Z8s perfectly matched for my pootle, and a bargain with Roadtec 01taking over.
Deserted looking lands and no road furniture, perfect, roads laid down for the motorcyclist in mind :grin2:

Running the Metzler 01's on my 2014 R right now, and not sure if its a head thing but feel on my previous 2007 R the Metzler Z8's rode better :nerd:

Although you most likely ride a different road surface to New Zealand, it would be interesting to see what you think of the road tecs compared to your Metzler 8's when you change.