BMW R1200R Forum banner

Where did you go today on your Roadster?

296K views 3K replies 221 participants last post by  The Dogfather 
Thursday I did a 400 klm run up around the Glasshouse Mountains outside of Brisbane. Friday was a new set of Pirelli Angel GT's for my upcoming trip around Oz. Saturday I washed the poor beastie and took her around the block for an air dry. Today got to 100+ Deg F here in Brisbane and so I calmly sat by the pool and drank beer with friends - except for when it was REALLY hot and then we sat in the AC and continued with the beer theme.

Get better and look forward to your next run up that way. Sorry you binned it but real glad you got to talk about it!

Reactions: Stricko
KatanaAl, all I can say is - aargh. You guys are seriously committed. I am in awe. If I looked outside and saw that, I would be done for the day.

And LoS / Panzermann re fuel consumption..... 4.9 l/100klm is normal and I get 5.0 when I am pushing hard. I don't know how LoS does it.

I have done some miles lately and am currently in a chilly caravan BnB in the Blue Mountains outside Sydney. I have a few pix but they are in iphone or Photobucket. I am trying to figure out how to get them posted to the forum. In the meantime, I can offer up several good sections I have ridden getting from Brisbane down the here;
QLD-NSW Border Ranges via Canungra to Murwillumbah.
Grafton - Armidale via Ebor, taking the Watrfall Way. Outstanding B road but surface varies between excellent and rubbish. More corners than a bobby pin factory.
Walcha-Wauchope-Walcha. There and back again since I am starting at the inland end and need to stay inland.
Thunderbolt's Way from Nowendoc to Gloucester. Saw 4 separate Highway Patrol chaps doing their radar thing on a weekday here, so the road is fun but seriously over policed.
The Putty Road from Bulga to Richmond.

The above constitutes an excellent North-South meander through eastern Australia. Today is a fairly simple run down to Wakefield Park Raceway, but tomorrow begins a couple of days playing in the Alpine Way area.

Having a ball and hope to post some pictures soon!

Have another fantastic road to add to the list. Take the Alpine Way on the south loop from Cooma to Khancoban. The entire run is excellent for a couple of hundred klm, but after Jindabyne there is a section that is actually signposted as a warning for being 60 klm of continuos corners. What a hoot. I needed a rest by the time I found a straight bit.

Ok Panzermann, I know I am playing in your backyard, but I am like a starving kid that has just discovered chocolate. Today's route had some memorable sections but then I got to the Great Alpine Road from Harrietville to Hotham Heights. And most of that is signposted 100 kph. Hahahahaha. That needs to be on everyone's bucket list.

Panzermann......I am past the Omeo Highway and have already booked the ferry trip to Tasmania so can't do a U-Turn. Aaaargh.
Well, I Guess when I finish my trip around Australia I will just have to start over again. What a bugger. 😎

Rode from Strathgordon in Tasmania down though Hobart to overnight at a small town called Snug. It has gotten wet and cold outside so the name suits the cabin I am settled into. The first few days of my ride through Tasmania were in bright sunshine so I am not complaining.
Still cannot figure how to post pictures from my iPad so will need to wait till I get to a Windows PC to show some of the happy snaps. But the scenery is spectacular and the roads are a never ending series of bends. This is biker Nirvana boys n girls. Add it to your bucket list.

Thanks Panzermann. Will attempt to post a picture fromEbor Falls in NSW and if that works will post several on chronological order. Have been going a couple of weeks now....

Reactions: Panzermann
Failed. One more attempt....

Attachments

Reactions: Panzermann
Right - will try and post the ferry boarding across to Tasmania....

Attachments

Well, we are in the land down under. I have zero idea on how to flip that image so it will just have to be upside down. The next one will be a view on the road to Strathgordon in Tasmania. I had spent the previous 30 minutes riding through a old forest set of twisties where the canopy met overhead. So it was like riding through a dark green tunnel. Then burst out into bright sunlight and was met with this view. Quite spectacular in real life.

Attachments

Hey LoS. Today is Campbell Town to Launceston via St Helens. Tomorrow is Launceston to Port Sorrell via Scottsdale and Bridport. Saturday is a full day trip on the Ferry back up to Melbourne. Sunday is the Great Ocean Road. Aahhh. Life is grand. Shrunk a few more snaps to the necessary size to post, so will try and add them in.

Serious Kangaroos in Tasmania. They like to tip over cars for sport apparently.

Attachments

Lake Pedder in Tasmania. For those old enough and from the great south land, this is the site of the infamous Franklin River eco battle of the 70's where the greenies were chained to trees. Looks fantastic now but it is still contentious locally.

Attachments

Outside of Queenstown, Tasmania. No sooner do you leave town than you immediately hit a technical section called 99 Bends for obvious reasons. Worn out before covering 10 klm. Think I need to move to Tasmania.

Attachments

Hi LoS - thanks for the call out. I am in Ceduna tonight at the start of the Nullarbor Plains. Stopping tomorrow night at Eucla but that takes me past several lookouts on the cliffs over the Great Australian Bight. So hopefully will have some decent pics to post!?
My wife has been keeping me posted on the weather on the East Coast. As well as all the new channels. Bloody terrible. Hope you and yours are good.

Some snaps crossing the Nullarbor Plain in the south of Australia. Working from iPad so will need to post them all separately.

Attachments

Part 2 - at the cliffs. These go on for hundreds of klm.

Attachments

The longest straight bit of road on Oz. Would give anything to avoid ait but there are only 2 roads crossing the country east-west. One at the bottom (this one) and another at the top . I will do the TOP route on the return leg. To occupy oneself on a 90 mile straight bit you could do all sorts of silly things. Not that I would be irresponsible. For instance one could engage cruise control and see how Long you could steer hands-free. Not that I would. I imagine it would be completely illegal as well as grossly childish and even stupid. Besides which, after 75 klm you might need to stand up and stretch your legs and that would certainly require holding the bars.

Attachments

Yup - 90 miles of this. The only corner is the curvature of the earth. I wonder if I can get my knee down....?

Attachments